Atlanta Falcons Situation

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
For those that don't understand, here's the situation with us and the Atlanta Falcons...

Atlanta is now 9-5 with a 6-4 record against NFC opponents. They've also now beaten Tampa Bay 1 out of 2.

We are 8-5 with a 6-4 record against the NFC. We beat Tampa in one game.

If we win, we're at the same juncture we were last week. Up 1 game against NFC opponents, same record overall. IF WE LOSE, we are effectively on the outside looking in, back in the "Wild Card hunt".

The reason we wanted Atlanta to lose today was simple - create more space between us and them for a playoff berth. Now they're back in the drivers seat, controlling their own destiny just like we are. We could still get the 5 seed if Tampa finishes with the same record as us, which is possible. However, because ATL now beat Tampa, it makes the tiebreaker between us and Atlanta far too interesting, getting into "style" points since our win percentage against common opponents is too similar.

Above all else, we need to just win. We can't drop a single game now, not even Baltimore.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;2489700 said:
For those that don't understand, here's the situation with us and the Atlanta Falcons...

Atlanta is now 9-5 with a 6-4 record against NFC opponents. They've also now beaten Tampa Bay 1 out of 2.

We are 8-5 with a 6-4 record against the NFC. We beat Tampa in one game.

If we win, we're at the same juncture we were last week. Up 1 game against NFC opponents, same record overall. IF WE LOSE, we are effectively on the outside looking in, back in the "Wild Card hunt".

The reason we wanted Atlanta to lose today was simple - create more space between us and them for a playoff berth. Now they're back in the drivers seat, controlling their own destiny just like we are. We could still get the 5 seed if Tampa finishes with the same record as us, which is possible. However, because ATL now beat Tampa, it makes the tiebreaker between us and Atlanta far too interesting, getting into "style" points since our win percentage against common opponents is too similar.

Above all else, we need to just win. We can't drop a single game now, not even Baltimore.

The only thing is that they're not controlling their own destiny in fact where are. If both teams win out Cowboys get the nod.

Ren

Reaction score
If we can't get into the playoffs on our own we have no business being there if we win we go if not we stay home so that's what we should be looking for now

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
I'm missing something. TB lost. If Dallas beats NY, all three teams are tied. Dallas becomes #1 WC team based upon head to head with TB, and better conference than ATL.

Unless I'm reading the WC tie breakers wrong, how is this a bad thing???

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
We just need to win games, nothing else matters.

If we end up needing help just to get in, odds are we arnt going anywhere once we do get there.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
M'Kevon;2489722 said:
I'm missing something. TB lost. If Dallas beats NY, all three teams are tied. Dallas becomes #1 WC team based upon head to head with TB, and better conference than ATL.

If we win, it doesn't matter what else happens. If we lose, it matters.

Make sense?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
M'Kevon;2489722 said:

You're right about that. We just need to keep winning.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
M'Kevon;2489722 said:

The playoffs dont start after today.

Tampa has home games vs San Diego and Oakland

Atlanta is at Minnesota and home to the lowly Rams

We have the Giants, Ravens and at Eagles.

noletime95

Reaction score
M'Kevon;2489722 said:

I suppose Dallas could now get the 5 seed, that is true. No offense, but who cares?

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
theogt;2489727 said:

Make sense?

If we lose, we don't deserve to go. I still thing ATL winning was a good thing . . .

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
M'Kevon;2489736 said:
If we lose, we don't deserve to go.
Who cares about deserving to go? I just want to go to the playoffs, however it happens.

I still thing ATL winning was a good thing . . .
Then you're still confused.

dstew60105

Reaction score
M'Kevon;2489722 said:

You are right if the season ended after this weekend. We would have a better conference record vs Atlanta (7-4 vs. 6-4). We would also be the #5 seed instead of the #6. As David said, we just need to win. Backing into the playoffs is usually never a good thing.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
theogt;2489727 said:

Make sense?

This is what I was getting at. If ATL were to have lost, then we could essentially have a "free" game in which we could maybe drop one without dire consequences. Winning out is our only option now.

I'm hoping we do it! Need that double digit win total!!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The tiebreaker between us, Atl and TB goes with the tiebreaker applied between TB and Atl first. Then the winner of that tiebreaker is compared to us. I'd rather have TB as we had the tiebreaker against them. Atl I don't know esp if we lose tonight.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
dbair1967;2489729 said:
The playoffs dont start after today.

Tampa has home games vs San Diego and Oakland

Atlanta is at Minnesota and home to the lowly Rams

We have the Giants, Ravens and at Eagles.

Exactly what I was getting at as well. Atlanta winning today has made it that much easier for them to win out. Us? Not so much.

SilberBlau

Reaction score
Still: there are NO 3 way tie breakers applied between Dallas, Atlanta and Tampa. The tie will first be broken inside the division. We don't lose against either Tampa or Atlanta given the same record

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;2489752 said:
The tiebreaker between us, Atl and TB goes with the tiebreaker applied between TB and Atl first. Then the winner of that tiebreaker is compared to us. I'd rather have TB as we had the tiebreaker against them. Atl I don't know esp if we lose tonight.
We would have owned the tiebreaker over Atlanta and we would have been a game up on them if we win.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
casmith07;2489749 said:
This is what I was getting at. If ATL were to have lost, then we could essentially have a "free" game in which we could maybe drop one without dire consequences. Winning out is our only option now.

I'm hoping we do it! Need that double digit win total!!

If Philly wins their next two, there is no free game. Short of TB, ATL and Philly losing a game over the next two weeks, right now Dallas must win out.