Atlanta Falcons Situation

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We want to get into the playoffs. Period. I'd rather win in than lose in.

willia451

Reaction score
casmith07;2489700 said:
For those that don't understand, here's the situation with us and the Atlanta Falcons...

Atlanta is now 9-5 with a 6-4 record against NFC opponents. They've also now beaten Tampa Bay 1 out of 2.

We are 8-5 with a 6-4 record against the NFC. We beat Tampa in one game.

If we win, we're at the same juncture we were last week. Up 1 game against NFC opponents, same record overall. IF WE LOSE, we are effectively on the outside looking in, back in the "Wild Card hunt".

The reason we wanted Atlanta to lose today was simple - create more space between us and them for a playoff berth. Now they're back in the drivers seat, controlling their own destiny just like we are. We could still get the 5 seed if Tampa finishes with the same record as us, which is possible. However, because ATL now beat Tampa, it makes the tiebreaker between us and Atlanta far too interesting, getting into "style" points since our win percentage against common opponents is too similar.

Above all else, we need to just win. We can't drop a single game now, not even Baltimore.
I agree. Atl winning was bad for us. But, we can't count on everyone behind us losing. Wash lost. So that was good. GB lost. So that was good.

But there ARE valid scenerios where, even if we lose to Baltimore, we get in at 10-6 as the 6th seed. Even if Atl wins out.

What ATL winning REALLY did, was force us to beat both the NYG and Philly.

Now, we absolutely cannot drop one of those games. Or to get in will take a miracle.

Go Cowboys!!!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
willia451;2490052 said:
What ATL winning REALLY did, was force us to beat both the NYG and Philly.

Now, we absolutely cannot drop one of those games. Or to get in will take a miracle.

Not true.

If we lose tonight and win our final two games, the only help we would need is one of the following two scenarios --

1. Atlanta loses one game (most likely at Minnesota next week)

OR

2. Tampa Bay loses one game (most likely vs. San Diego next week) AND either the Giants beat Minnesota in Week 17 or Chicago loses one more.

Based on how each team played today, I don't think it would take a miracle for Atlanta to lose at Minnesota next week.

willia451

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2490090 said:
Not true.

If we lose tonight and win our final two games, the only help we would need is one of the following two scenarios --

1. Atlanta loses one game (most likely at Minnesota next week)

OR

2. Tampa Bay loses one game (most likely vs. San Diego next week) AND either the Giants beat Minnesota in Week 17 or Chicago loses one more.

Based on how each team played today, I don't think it would take a miracle for Atlanta to lose at Minnesota next week.
Fair enough. Maybe not a miracle then. But I think ATL will at least be favored to win that game against Minn. I'd hate to have to count on it.

My gut tells me its more likely that Atl and Tampa win out from here.

Good analysis out of you, however. Even if I don't competely agree. I like it.

Go Cowboys!!!

BigDave95

Reaction score
willia451;2490140 said:
Fair enough. Maybe not a miracle then. But I think ATL will at least be favored to win that game against Minn. I'd hate to have to count on it.

My gut tells me its more likely that Atl and Tampa win out from here.

Good analysis out of you, however. Even if I don't competely agree. I like it.

Go Cowboys!!!

That game is AT Minnesota. No way the Falcons will be favored.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
theogt;2489709 said:
Basically, Atlanta winning was really bad for us.

I don't think so. It brought the Bucc's back with us and it made the race deeper but Bucc's do not look good. They can no longer stop the run. I don't expect them to win out at all.

gmoney112

Reaction score
if dallas beats NYG, i have full confidence that they will win out. so i have full confidence we're going to make the playoffs :D. if tampa won then we'd have to have them lose to SD or the rams right? if we win out right now we are GUARANTEED to make the playoffs.

i like it, i liiiiiiiiiiiiiiike it

Smith22

Reaction score
When we play the Ravens, it will be similar to the Steelers game, DON'T turn the ball over and the Ravens won't keep up with our offense. The Ravens feed off of turnovers.

Tonight, we play the Giants minus their star RB and WR. We have no excuses, we HAVE to win this game to get the momentum going and to mute all of this noise about our team being divided.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Smith22;2490377 said:
When we play the Ravens, it will be similar to the Steelers game, DON'T turn the ball over and the Ravens won't keep up with our offense. The Ravens feed off of turnovers.

Tonight, we play the Giants minus their star RB and WR. We have no excuses, we HAVE to win this game to get the momentum going and to mute all of this noise about our team being divided.
The difference with the Ravens is that they don't do anything with when they get a turnover on offense. Unless Ed Reed is returning it for a TD they most likely won't do anything with the turnover.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;2489727 said:
If we win, it doesn't matter what else happens. If we lose, it matters.

Make sense?

But if we lose, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I don't jsut want us to get in the playoffs by squeezing in, I want us to get in and be on a roll at the same time.

Like I've been saying for 2 weeks though, the AFC games aren't NEARLY as important for us as the Giants/Eagles games. We can lose to the Ravens next week and still get in (possibly) as long as we beat the Giants and Eagles.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I want to get into the playoffs any way we can. I'd PREFER to go in on a winning streak. But just get in then anything can happen.