Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots Super Bowl LI Thread

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
OK quick question, the Patriots last 2 point conversion. Was it very close to being a pick play? Looked like the 2 guys in front pretty much blocked their guys to clear the way for Amendola

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Tell me who was the last Super bowl champs with elite WR's?

NE? Denver? Seattle? Baltimore? NY? Green Bay?

It's crazy that the teams who pay the "Elite WR" money, don't win championships.
Good question amigo. Off the top of my head, I'd have to do some research to get a more precise list. I would say that jerry rice, Michael Irvin , Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt, issac Bruce, moss lost in the super bowl, jordy nelson, and demayrius Thomas w Denver. That's all I can think of. I'm sure there's some others like Hines ward? Maybe largent? I'm not positive

It seems that in the last 5-8 years it's been a patriot run and other teams without the elite was. The only two are jordy and demayrius

mmohican29

Reaction score
Romo had no say in game planning then. Garrett abandoned it. That's why he was eventually demoted.

The year Romo was involved with Linehan was 2014 and they never abandoned the run.

Romo has full control to change plays as does Dak. ... Why do you think Murray spazzed out when he threw the pick in the GB game? Because he was to get the football and did not. Romo was protected in the pressers, but he was at fault for both of those losses.

haleyrules

Reaction score
yeah haley it was, it went from the biggest dud ever, to being a classic comeback and finish, and first OT SB ever.
I said turn out the lights, after the muffed onside kick, lol but then NE stops atlanta, and goes on a drive, and I still thought they couldnt win.
I am goint to rewatch it lol.
You ain't kiddin. I am going to watch it again also!!

haleyrules

Reaction score
Good question amigo. Off the top of my head, I'd have to do some research to get a more precise list. I would say that jerry rice, Michael Irvin , Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt, issac Bruce, moss lost in the super bowl, jordy nelson, and demayrius Thomas w Denver. That's all I can think of. I'm sure there's some others like Hines ward? Maybe largent? I'm not positive

It seems that in the last 5-8 years it's been a patriot run and other teams without the elite was. The only two are jordy and demayrius
I really believe his point was not really Elite but Prima donna..two different things. Rice was elite and Harrison..but were real team guys who were humble and dedicated. Big difference between that and say TO or that clown presently playing for the Giants!!

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo has full control to change plays as does Dak. ... Why do you think Murray spazzed out when he threw the pick in the GB game? Because he was to get the football and did not. Romo was protected in the pressers, but he was at fault for both of those losses.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000299618/article/packers-happy-cowboys-abandoned-running-game

Maybe he spazzed out, because they called a pass play and abandoned the run completely like usual. Your argument would make sense if they weren't running the ball effectively the whole first half and Romo wasn't handing the ball off.

Garrett like usual tried to throw Romo under the bus, when he said Romo should have run the ball. So your claim they tried to cover for him is false. There was no changed play, Romo had the choice to run or pass and per what he saw, he chose correctly based on the formation GB was showing. He got pressured and mad a bad throw.

Your argument would actually make sense if they were actually running the whole year and not abandoning it, but they weren't. They ran four times against Minnesota.

Your argument would make sense if Romo, on his first season with Linehan as play-caller, Romo only had 7 INTs, throwing close to 40 TDs and was doing fine handing the ball off.

Your argument would make sense if Romo was involved in game-planning when Garrett was controlling the offense, but he wasn't until he got the new contract.

BTW, Linehan totally implemented play-action with Dak, almost double the pace of Romo in 2014. What you call audibling at the line like Romo was nothing of the sort. Linehan was calling play-action for Dak consistently.

Last edited:

coult44

Reaction score

I forgot about Demaryius...

mmohican29

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000299618/article/packers-happy-cowboys-abandoned-running-game

Maybe he spazzed out, because they called a pass play and abandoned the run completely like usual. Your argument would make sense if they weren't running the ball effectively the whole first half and Romo wasn't handing the ball off.

Garrett like usual tried to throw Romo under the bus, when he said Romo should have run the ball. So your claim they tried to cover for him is false. There was no changed play, Romo had the choice to run or pass and per what he saw, he chose correctly based on the formation GB was showing. He got pressured and mad a bad throw.

Your argument would actually make sense if they were actually running the whole year and not abandoning it, but they weren't. They ran four times against Minnesota.

Your argument would make sense if Romo, on his first season with Linehan as play-caller, Romo only had 7 INTs, throwing close to 40 TDs and was doing fine handing the ball off.

Your argument would make sense if Romo was involved in game-planning when Garrett was controlling the offense, but he wasn't until he got the new contract.

BTW, Linehan totally implemented play-action with Dak, almost double the pace of Romo in 2014. What you call audibling at the line like Romo was nothing of the sort. Linehan was calling play-action for Dak consistently.

My point is valid because you said yourself he had a choice. Tony read the defense and forgot the sounder situational football option to run the football. And he's done it more than one time.

How many times can a QB be a cog in the wheel of "abandoning the run" to losing results are you comfortable with?

It happens. But to say Romo doesn't or could never fail as Ryan did last night is "probably" right, but by no means an absolute certainty.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
OK quick question, the Patriots last 2 point conversion. Was it very close to being a pick play? Looked like the 2 guys in front pretty much blocked their guys to clear the way for Amendola

yes absolutely. i mentioned earlier. they cant block until after the ball is caught.
they knew it never be called in that situation.
play impossible to stop unless someone whiffs.
i HATE pick plays

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
yes absolutely. i mentioned earlier. they cant block until after the ball is caught.
they knew it never be called in that situation.
play impossible to stop unless someone whiffs.
i HATE pick plays

Yes they basically ran a screen for him to get into the end zone.

khiladi

Reaction score
My point is valid because you said yourself he had a choice. Tony read the defense and forgot the sounder situational football option to run the football. And he's done it more than one time.

How many times can a QB be a cog in the wheel of "abandoning the run" to losing results are you comfortable with?

It happens. But to say Romo doesn't or could never fail as Ryan did last night is "probably" right, but by no means an absolute certainty.

No, your point is invalid because your argument is Tony CHANGED the play. Your point is invalid because your trying to blame Romo as being responsible for the losses because he abandoned the run. Your point is invalid because your trying to argue from a single play that it was Tony's track record to abandon the run.

Your point is invalid because by the time Garrett's last years around the offense were concerned, they were primarily shotgun driven and throwing 80% of the time around it and we basically went up-tempo, meaning Garrett had nothing to offer.

Your point is invalid because Wade Phillips from Garrett's first times here was trying to bring Dan Phillips here to oversee a running game that Garrett was woefully incompetent at running.

And BTW, yoit point is invalid because all of that changed when we got a semi-decent OC.

BTW, did you even watch the play again? There was nothing sound about going run, considering the Packers were playing run and Clay Matthews shot straight from the left side right at Murray though the play was going right. The only reason it was worth anything was because Tony bailed and avoided Clay Matthews who happened to turn slightly and hit Romo when he saw Romo go pass and Romo simply threw a little behind Mile Austin who basically already beat his man.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He doesn't need them. WR's are grossly over rated. Look at what he wins with. WR's just need to catch the balls that hit them in the hands...with no self serving drama...watch Edelman..
yeah edelman and brady work in the off season together to be better and on conditioning, it pays off during the season, and in playoffs.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
He doesn't need them. WR's are grossly over rated. Look at what he wins with. WR's just need to catch the balls that hit them in the hands...with no self serving drama...watch Edelman..
He wins with dudes that didn't even play receiver in college. Edelmen was a QB and hogan played 3 years of lacrosse in college. So your point is correct, he elevates the players around him