Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots Super Bowl LI Thread

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Great counter. Not really, but that's what I expected. You have no answer to my previous post about the Falcons win probability pct. rising until they decided to run and 3rd and 1 and got the sack/fumble, then nosediving after getting sacked out of FG range.
You have no answer to my post. They needed to score more points in the second half. 7 pts wont cut it. My original post said...you gotta keep your foot on the pedal and keep attacking
The didn't score enough in the second half and lost. Bingo

I'm sure with time dwindling in the second half, with each minute that passed, the probability of a Falcons win increased. But then reality set in, and like a bomb it blew up math and statistics and a very unlikely outcome occurred. The patriots won. So once again....7 pts in the second half won't cut it

So right on
:dance::dance::dance:

Last edited:

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
You were right.

My cousin understand why I was nervous at 28-12. I told her because the Falcons are not scoring. Also I explained that a 25 pt lead in the NFL is misleading because a NFL team can score in bunches since a TD can be 8 pts. So if you score twice the 25 pt lead is reduced to 9.

in the NBA if you score twice after being down 25 pts the lead can only be reduced to 19

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
My cousin understand why I was nervous at 28-12. I told her because the Falcons are not scoring. Also I explained that a 25 pt lead in the NFL is misleading because a NFL team can score in bunches since a TD can be 8 pts. So if you score twice the 25 pt lead is reduced to 9.

in the NBA if you score twice after being down 25 pts the lead can only be reduced to 19
Exactly. The Falcons scored very few points in the second half and once the patriots got on a roll it was game over.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cut it out, Erod. Don't be an "apologist" for the narrative.

Not sure I understand it for the Atlanta game at all. Brady throws a pick-6, Matt Ryan is 15/18, 268 yards, 2 TDs through 56 minutes, Atlanta was 3/3 in the Redzone, Atlanta won the turnover battle 2-1, and they were up 8 with 3:30 remaining. It's not like Atlanta didn't show up or completely floundered. Being in Atlanta's position with 3:30 almost always wins the game. They played a solid game and while both teams made mistakes, the Patriots just made more plays down the stretch.

JBS

Reaction score
Being uber aggressive is actually why the falcons lost the game...for trying to score more points..

Had they ran on third and 1..instead of strip sack..they probably win

If they run twice up 8 with 4 mins left on the new 22..they probably win..instead they drop back and get sacked and then get called for holding

Falcons didn't need more points...the way they managed the game backfired..

This is why you see teams play conservative...take the foot off the gas and you lose fans complain...keep the foot on the gas and you lose and fans will complain...

Hindsight is always 20/20...as a coach, you just have to hope you make the right calls..at the end of the day, kyle shanahas play calling, while super aggressive, cost atlanta the game

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Did you really say NE dominated all game long?:laugh:
Clearly....double time of possession, double offensive plays....that's unheard of even in regular season.
Complete physical domination...scoreboard didn't look like it due to dropped passes and 14 points off turnovers, but Atlanta's defense played 93 plays while their offense played only 46. They were fortunate to score 28 points.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
History lesson on early Super Bowls.

GB beats KC.
KC beats Minn.
Jets beat Colts.
Colts beat Dallas.
Dallas beats Miami.
Miami beats Washington.
Washington beats Miami a few years later.

Atlanta is young. They aren't done.

Neither is Dallas. Bellichec didn't win that game, so stop piling on Garrett.
This is the same hoodie that never won anything until Tom Brady became the QB, the same coach that lost to the WC Giants in the Super Bowl with a 18-0 team.

He's a great coach, Hall of Fame coach, but Brady won that game last night, not hoodie. And without Brady, he's nowhere, just like Chuck Noll without Bradshaw's SB heroics.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I agree. I liked seeing the Patriots get whooped in the beginning but I started rooting for them in the end. Rooting against teams like the Patriots and Steelers is just jealously and it's a pathetic trait for a team and fanbase that considers itself the best in football. These teams have a winning system and are a step ahead of the curve, especially the Patriots. We're far from that. We're a 13-3 team that gets routed in the first game of the playoffs, and it wasn't a shocker when it happened. I know there's loyalty in our veins but we're kidding ourselves if we think we're winners. This team needs a serious refranchising if it wants to see constant success like the Patriots. Our best hope is to luck out and steal one Super Bowl.

The Patriot blueprint is Tom Brady. Kind of hard to emulate. Just get the goat QB and surround him with pretty good talent, and you will win 1 in 3 years as long as he plays.

If we trade Dak and Red for Brady and the emperor, how would you like our odds the next few years?

TheHerd

Reaction score
i noticed both the notes, and the short kicks, the one after they tied the game with 57 seconds, was similar to dallas gb game, the kick had to be
ran out and it took 5 seconds off the clock, had we done that GB might have ran out of time.

Red lacks the awareness and creativity to do anything as off script as a short kick or to try jumping over the line on a FG attempt.

And he certainly couldn't figure out when would be the right times to do those things. No awareness. He's one of the last aware smart people I can think of.