Atmosphere

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
just a quick question. i'm scottish and my main sport i follow is football, or soccer to you guys. was over staying with the girlfriends folks in san antonio and found myself sitting having a beer with her dad watching the cowboys at green bay and got back into american football which i hadn't watched for years. since i was in texas the cowboys seemed the logical team to support so went home the proud owner of a tony romo jersey and have since found myself sitting up till half 3 in the morning watching the cowboys on poor quality streams online.
i've got a season ticket for celtic and the atmosphere on big games - mainly european games on a wednesday night or whatever the atmosphere in the ground is incredible, mainly due to singing. i was just wondering what the atmosphere was like at texas stadium and whether theres any singing or anything like that? hopefully in the next couple of years will be able to get over to the new stadium and experiance it for myself
cheers in advance

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
daschoo;2480973 said:
just a quick question. i'm scottish and my main sport i follow is football, or soccer to you guys. was over staying with the girlfriends folks in san antonio and found myself sitting having a beer with her dad watching the cowboys at green bay and got back into american football which i hadn't watched for years. since i was in texas the cowboys seemed the logical team to support so went home the proud owner of a tony romo jersey and have since found myself sitting up till half 3 in the morning watching the cowboys on poor quality streams online.
i've got a season ticket for celtic and the atmosphere on big games - mainly european games on a wednesday night or whatever the atmosphere in the ground is incredible, mainly due to singing. i was just wondering what the atmosphere was like at texas stadium and whether theres any singing or anything like that? hopefully in the next couple of years will be able to get over to the new stadium and experiance it for myself
cheers in advance

Relative to the vast majority of NFL venues, Texas Stadium is quite docile. Cowboys fans are normally gracious and polite towards visiting fans; consequently, our home crowd is often criticized for its lack of vociferousness during games. I can't seem to recall performing any organized chants or songs when I was at Texas Stadium

Compared to some of your soccer stadiums in Europe, the Texas Stadium crowd would probably seem like thousands of old women sitting in their seats and knitting.:D

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
THERE IS NO SINGING IN FOOTBALL !!!

Fat_Lady_Sings.jpg

:mad:

grp05

Reaction score
There won't be any singing. There will probably be a decent amount of chanting, especially if the game is close.

You guys might feel otherwise, but I think watching a game at home is much more enjoyable. It's only exciting for the last 5 minutes or so, and only if it's close. That's when the crowd can go crazy. Otherwise, it's pretty boring. You really notice all the down-time during commercial breaks and possession changes, plus you never notice how valuable the commentary is until you don't have it.

I'd say it comes down to where your seats are. If you're near the sideline on the 50, you'll love it. If you're in the corner rafters, you'll feel pretty isolated from the game.

djmajestik

Reaction score
daschoo;2480973 said:
just a quick question. i'm scottish and my main sport i follow is football, or soccer to you guys.

I'm Irish and Italian and my main sport is BEER. :cool: Sorry, just had to, it's almost quitting time and well .... just injecting a bit of brevity to the board.

jday

Reaction score
jord1242;2481172 said:
I'm Irish and Italian and my main sport is BEER. :cool: Sorry, just had to, it's almost quitting time and well .... just injecting a bit of brevity to the board.
Beer...of a sudden, I'm thirsty...2 more hours until beer-a'clock. That's...too...long....

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
I'm a huge soccer (football) fan, and let me tell you - no American sports crowd compares to any soccer crowd anywhere - especially not Celtic - and especially not a Celtic vs Rangers match

and Texas Stadium is one of the most timid crowds in the NFL and probably all of sports

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
jord1242;2481172 said:

beer goes without saying, besides it enhances the viewing of any sport

thought i'd give you all a wee example of the kind of atmosphere i was talking about

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B5GAKJX57So

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
thisisepic;2481175 said:
Nice Tom Hanks quote, oh wait wrong sport.

Edit: Wrong all together!! :bang2:

You were right. =) I just took the quote from Hanks and made it work here in this thread.

Good job.

gmoney112

Reaction score
no sport in the world does it like soccer i dont think. i always wanted to go to a soccer game completely blitzed with some locals on a trip to europe. that'd be NUTS. id just be scared id get the crap beaten out of me by some crazy soccer hooligans

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
gmoney112;2481395 said:
no sport in the world does it like soccer i dont think. i always wanted to go to a soccer game completely blitzed with some locals on a trip to europe. that'd be NUTS. id just be scared id get the crap beaten out of me by some crazy soccer hooligans

you should mate, i'd steer clear of italy though as the fans their can be a bit nuts. the milan derby a few years ago the a.c. fans sneaked a scooter into the ground (no idea how) and dropped it on fire over the tier onto the inter fans in the tier below. also the league was suspended for a couple of weeks over there after hooligans killed a policeman. i think they're more interested in fighting the police than bystanders though so im sure you'd be fine.
outside of scotland the only country i've been to a game in was france. it was unbelievable but i have to say my girlfriend was a bit nervous. you should check out youtube for some videos, i'm obviously going to be biased and say check celtic as we create arguably the best atmosphere of any stadium in europe but then you can go on a saturday for a league game and its like a morgue.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]lkeUNsCbJ1g[/youtube]

thought I'd post that to show what Celtic soccer (and Europe in general) is like

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
Singing is uncommon, although some franchises do have team songs, and one maintains a marching band. Relative to soccer, there can tend to be a more sustained level of noise in some circumstances - defensive stands by the hometeam and whatnot can be downright mad if you're in the blue-collar seats, and for literally minutes at a time. Just top-of-the-lungs shouting from 60,000 people. Nothing artful or sophisticated about it.

Texas Stadium is one of the more boring experiences, to be honest, although the place CAN get to rocking in December in a tight NFC East race. Maybe it's just me, but I've always enjoyed cheering for the Cowboys more at the Meadowlands and in Philly.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Texas stadium, i guess, has never been known for its singing.
Maybe more for its beer drinking, which 'splains lack of yellin'.
I guess it would be nice to hear singing at Texas Stadium.

But there might be more communal singin' in the basement of Texas Stadium. Ever since they took them pipes out it has served as a reception area. Just last home game they hosted 300 hunters wounded by their huntin' comrades.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2482405 said:
I guess it would be nice to hear singing at Texas Stadium.

I don't know. The truth of the drinking comment leads me to dread the outcome at any concerted attempt at a group singalong.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I am still thinkin' about the singing or lack of it at Texas Stadium.

I would say that there is probably more cheese eating at the stadium than singin'.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I really love soccer crowds and their passion, but riots and death are too far. We will never see that in the NFL

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2482405 said:

would have imagined that beer drinking would encourage singing though. i know from my own experiance at celtic park that the midweek night games have more singing as folk go to the pub after work and then straight to the game whereas on a saturday it can be really quiet partly because folk haven't been drinking. also we don't have alcohol in the stadiums since the 80's when there was a riot at the cup final in a celtic rangers game.