Twitter: Attempted Tripping of Dak before Hail Mary

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly. Blaming Dak for this loss is the equivalent of blaming someone for failing a class project after he did all the work to finish it. But then his group members were reckless and ruined the project. And expected him to fix it back to form at the last second but he came up short. So you blame that guy instead of the others who messed it up.

This defense is beyond junk. The second we scored the FG, I told my gf that Dallas just needs to hurry up and let Seattle score to get the ball back. It was he only chance we had to win. Dallas defense gives up a 4th and 4. A 3rd down for a TD. And to top it off, the 2pt conversion where they were yet again fooled on the age old Russ bootleg and another wide open receiver. So we go from 1 up to 7 down in a matter of minutes. Heck even if they could not stop the 4th down, force a FG on the 3rd down and have us only down 2. Dak easily can get us in FG range with 1:45 and 3 timeouts. That is an eternity plus in today's league to get into FG range. But nope. Can't count on them at all.

Exactly! When you score late in the 4th, you should be able to trust that your defence can at least hold them to a FG. If they could manage to even be average, all Dak has to do is get us to where he got us leading up to the next pass, and we probably win with a game winning field goal. ANYTHING but give up a TD! As I said, this will happen over and over again this season until Jerry addresses the secondary. Once he does, maybe we can actually WIN these close games. Especially when Dak does his job and gets us down the field to take the lead late in the 4th quarter like he did.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Exactly! When you score late in the 4th, you should be able to trust that your defence can at least hold them to a FG. If they could manage to even be average, all Dak has to do is get us to where he got us leading up to the next pass, and we probably win with a game winning field goal. ANYTHING but give up a TD! As I said, this will happen over and over again this season until Jerry addresses the secondary. Once he does, maybe we can actually WIN these close games. Especially when Dak does his job and gets us down the field to take the lead late in the 4th quarter like he did.

The one thing I did not like on the go ahead drive was the 3 plays before the FG. They were all fades to the endzone. Why were so eager to score a TD so quickly. Surely we know how crappy this defense is. We need to keep the ball and clock moving. Maybe even force Seattle to start using timeouts. I fade routes with a passion, especially from that distance out. We ran no time off the clock and did not even make Seattle work to stop us. We drove the field very well and then went spastic and called 3 stupid plays in a row. It was Garrett/Linehan era all over again.

The best case scenario would have been keep that ball moving 5 yards at a time and score a TD on the other side of the 2min warning. I knew the FG did us no good and did not even get excited. And what was the first play on the Seattle drive? A 20 plus yard pass to a wide open WR. We all knew what was coming after that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It took the Cowboys forever to get where they were, that was the major problem. Debating the aftermath is an exercise is futility. It's like driving down a hill without breaks and then debating on how to stop.

Yep. I hate the 3 yard passes when we're under 2 minutes and need 80 yards. The 15 seconds used to get the next play off are not nearly worth the 3 yards. 12% of the remaining time for 4% of the yardage needed. Just a loser of a choice. Need 10 yard chunks.

Same thing at the end of the Rams game, I think.

Zman5

Reaction score
Well, nobody said it was top 5 with Collins and Smith out, and Frederick no longer here... Teams like the Commanders have been dealing with this much TO for years. The Cowboys have had the fortune of having such major consistency year in and year out since Dak got here.

The line was good from 2014. The best Oline we had past 10 years were from 2014 to 2016. The line started to decline in 2017 with injuries to Tyron and Leary leaving for Denver. The LG position hasn't been the same since Leary left in 2017 and although Looney played well in 2018, he was nowhere as good as Fredbeard was before his medical condition. And Tyron has been injured more often since 2017.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep. I hate the 3 yard passes when we're under 2 minutes and need 80 yards. The 15 seconds used to get the next play off are not nearly worth the 3 yards. 12% of the remaining time for 4% of the yardage needed. Just a loser of a choice. Need 10 yard chunks.

Same thing at the end of the Rams game, I think.

Yeah. There was plenty of time and all 3 timeouts. Dallas did exactly what the Seahawks wanted them to do. All defenses do that in the same situation. Give up short underneath plays. At some point during the drive the offense has to get bigger chunks. We've seen it a 1000 times. Did the Seahawks pass D all of a sudden become great in the last 2 minutes of the game?

CWR

Reaction score
It took the Cowboys forever to get where they were, that was the major problem. Debating the aftermath is an exercise is futility. It's like driving down a hill without breaks and then debating on how to stop.

Lol that's a hell of an analogy. :hammer:

Creeper

Reaction score
No one else has mentioned this but doesn't the defensive player stick his leg out in an attempt to trip Dak here? Isn't that a penalty? Would've been nice to have one more shot at the end zone.

Yes, that should have been a penalty for tripping. It would have stopped the clock, moved the ball to the 11 yard line and given Dallas least least 1 play to try to score a TD. I don't think the refs were calling a fair game but I am biased myself.

khiladi

Reaction score
How so? If he sets his feet he can still throw it anywhere on the field. QB’s do it all the time. GB does it with Rodgers quite a bit. Seems we aren’t playing to Dak’s strengths. Just my two cents.

He can throw it if he “sets his feet” which often doesn’t happen in bootlegs and, even if he does, the effectiveness and accuracy declines significantly to the other side. In the NFL, with the speed of defensive players its way more difficult. Dak’s offense was limited in the beginning by Linehan and in college, you got to adjust because of how defenses play.

Remember, at that level of talent your talking about probability of success with a bootleg versus under Center, scanning the whole field. Scheme abd coaching matter a lot. it’s not like high school, where differences in talent and speed can allow for use of bootleg a majority of the time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This, yes it is a penalty but we were not getting that call. At least the Rams loss to the Bills on a PI at end of game, so they know how it feels.
thats why we still use the term after a full season the penalty's have way of evening themselves out..it hurts when it happens but yes when i saw that i said to myself, how fitting is that the rams lose one the way trey got one.. :)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The one thing I did not like on the go ahead drive was the 3 plays before the FG. They were all fades to the endzone. Why were so eager to score a TD so quickly. Surely we know how crappy this defense is. We need to keep the ball and clock moving. Maybe even force Seattle to start using timeouts. I fade routes with a passion, especially from that distance out. We ran no time off the clock and did not even make Seattle work to stop us. We drove the field very well and then went spastic and called 3 stupid plays in a row. It was Garrett/Linehan era all over again.

The best case scenario would have been keep that ball moving 5 yards at a time and score a TD on the other side of the 2min warning. I knew the FG did us no good and did not even get excited. And what was the first play on the Seattle drive? A 20 plus yard pass to a wide open WR. We all knew what was coming after that.

Agreed about that. The play calls leading up to the FG were dumb. WE needed to be running the ball there to try to force Seattle to burn time outs and drain clock. Even if they stop us 3 times on the ground, we still either burn a lot of clock or the Seahawks have to burn time outs. I didn't mind kicking the FG, but I felt we scored MUCH too early, and it turned out we did.

Brax

Reaction score
No one else has mentioned this but doesn't the defensive player stick his leg out in an attempt to trip Dak here? Isn't that a penalty? Would've been nice to have one more shot at the end zone.

You guys have lost your mind. There is no tripping there can we give the phantom not Dak's fault excuses a rest. . Like how he threw into 3 Seahawks.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
You guys have lost your mind. There is no tripping there can we give the phantom not Dak's fault excuses a rest. . Like how he threw into 3 Seahawks.

With 4 seconds left in the game when we needed a touchdown. You want him to throw it out of bounds and then the same thing happen the next play? I mean not too many people when on a hail mary. Especially with your best WR sitting on the bench.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Unfortunately, trying to trip a guy and missing isn’t a penalty. He actually has to trip him.

Brax

Reaction score
With 4 seconds left in the game when we needed a touchdown. You want him to throw it out of bounds and then the same thing happen the next play? I mean not too many people when on a hail mary. Especially with your best WR sitting on the bench.
He throws the ball at the 9 second mark, yes better to throw away and try once more,also still looking for the phantom tripping.