Audio: Norm no fan of the 'Homer' - 11/6/08

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2406157 said:
Injuries are the main problem. We need our people back to have a chance. Now do the boneheaded penalties need to cease? Absolutely. Do we need better effort from the defense? Without a doubt. I just don't see a reason to throw in the towel when we do have some of our best players coming back and we've added a new dimension at wide receiver that opponents must contend with. Execution and consistency are the keys. Getting our talent back will help in both of those areas.

Then the answer is yes, right?

I am not throwing in the towel at all.

But I am also not just thinking because we get all the healthy guys back we are all of sudden going to win.

We lost to the Skins at home with Romo, with Newman, with Felix.

And we had Pacman too. Now we can say the trade off is that we didn't have Roy E.

But at least Pac was here for TC. Are we even sure Roy knows the offense just yet. Today was the first day he even practiced with Romo.

The word challenge doesn't begin to describe what we are going into down there at Fex Ed Field.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2406142 said:
LOL. He got hurt in the first minute of OT. The Cardinals were playing like doo doo. The only reason they were even in the game is because Romo was getting pounded and the special teams gave up a big score.

MBIII gave us a miracle. That's the only reason were even able to get them into OT.

And yeah a healthy Romo probably does take us down for a game winning FG.

That's the point. The O line/FB were playing so poorly the kid couldn't avoid an injury. He didn't just hurt himself because he wanted to ya know.

Yea....Cardinals was a horrible game. Our line got McBriar and Romo killed. That's the game that potentially hurt our chances for home field.

dcfanatic;2406126 said:
That is the only problem?

I wouldn't say its the only problem but its the biggest problem. I think this team lacks a consistent pass rush and with the addition of Newman that won't fix that. Coverage will be better but you can have Deion Sanders in his prime and he'd get beat if he has to guard receivers for 10-15 seconds a pass attempt. IMO, that's the biggest problem and my biggest concern. Only thing I can think of is this team feels energized by the return of Newman, Felix, Romo and Kosier. I know i'd feel better about going out there on Sunday knowing I have 2 Pro bowlers back.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2406172 said:
I'm sorry, no offense to anyone who likes him, but Norm is an idiot. He just seems like one of those guys who likes to say whatever he thinks will get a rise, one way or another, out of people. Everytime I've ever listened to him he seemed like he was really stupid when it comes to football.

I think Norm just likes to go against popular opinion. And he wants everyone to be like him. Who's he to tell me I shouldn't have faith in the Cowboys? Who's he to tell me how well or bad the Cowboys played? That's what pisses me off about him. He comes off arrogant as of his opinion is FACT and its not. Its just his opinion. And I respect his opinion but not when he tries to knock others for their beliefs.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2406137 said:
Getting pushed around at home to Skins, barely scraping by the Bengals and then watching Romo get knocked from here to kingdom come against the Cardinals is 'playing ok'?

For you it is.

For me it isn't even 'so-so' or 'average'.

It's disappointing.

I agree with Norm. People have completely lowered their expectations.

Yeah, we lost to the Skins and Cards. It happens. They're pretty good teams and we aren't perfect. Who knew?

And funny how Norm would never mention that the Giants scraped by the Bengals worse than we did. Or that we beat the Browns, Eagles, Packers, and Bucs.

People do need to lower their expectations, because expecting to stomp people every single week isn't reality in this NFL. No matter how much we want it to be, it just isn't.

And I thought we learned last year that being the best in October doesn't matter? Last year after nine games the Giants were 6-3, one game better than us... And they never lost their starting QB. I promise you they'd have been at least one game worse than that with the Pillsbury Throwboy in there.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
the guy is right and norm is right,

both are right, its how you look at it

romo would have helped in the giant game, passes would have been better, T O probably wouldnt have fumbled, or that big interception before half

at same time, till romo can show he doesnt put the ball on the ground
the sloppy playing with penalities stop
the offensive line gets off of its butt and plays with heart, only person i have seen play with heart on offenslive line is columbo last few games

the defense jells in secondary with newman back directing traffic

thats why i wanted deangelo hall if he was any good, sometimes players that leave a bad team jell in a new place, im not saying hall is good, i dont know

but till the players step up as leaders become accountable and make other players accountable, and tell good ole wade, we dont want any more extra days off during the week, we need to HIT in practice, find out what players dont want to hit, and either they get off of the team or they play with heart and desire

and the coaches must give better game plans, and quit this looking confused

till this happens, nothing will change

Wood

Reaction score
the end of Norm rant was dead on and I dont care for "good ol" Norm.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's Norm's fault, the fans' fault, Romo's fault.

...everyone but Wade's fault.

Although, I disagree about Norm about the effect Romo will have. Having Romo back is a gamechanger. Great QB play is the ultimate deodorant, as it was earlier in the year. It's not so much that Wade's defense will stop being inept when Romo comes back, or that Houck's OL will stop being a disaster, or that this team will suddenly stop making stupid mistakes and penalties (I have to laugh at this idea that this team will somehow smarten up in the next few weeks when they've been a stupid team for years ... they are what they are) but at least Romo gives us the chance to overcome them.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't know that having Romo back cures everything but I do know this.

4-2 and scoring nearly 30 points a game beats the hell out of being 1-2 and scoring 13 points a game.

Smith22

Reaction score
Beat the Skins and I truly believe we will be sitting at 8-4 with 4 games left. Lose the Skins game and I don't think we will finish 10-6.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2406029 said:
Every team has injuries bro. The backups get paid too.

The only difference is the most important position on the football field is Quarterback and Brad Johnson was so bad that no team could overcome his crapieness.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Smith22;2406643 said:
Beat the Skins and I truly believe we will be sitting at 8-4 with 4 games left. Lose the Skins game and I don't think we will finish 10-6.

Agreed

If we beat the Skins we should go 3-0 in the next 3 games.

That leaves 4 games left.

If we split and go 2-2 that gives us 10 wins.

The Washington game means everything. If they lose than the season is over. If they win its far from over and we should get on a roll.

Wood

Reaction score
I can listen to the last 2 minutes of that all day long because it really does capture the state of the cowboys season. Norm was passionate and point on.

links18

Reaction score
Wow, he called Jerry Jones "the typical homer fan." Hilarious......

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;2406743 said:
Agreed

If we beat the Skins we should go 3-0 in the next 3 games.

That leaves 4 games left.

If we split and go 2-2 that gives us 10 wins.

The Washington game means everything. If they lose than the season is over. If they win its far from over and we should get on a roll.

The Washington game is *huge,* as it should be. I can't wait.

On a completely unrelated note, does anybody know what happens when rats get back on a ship that might or might not have been sinking? Does the first rat that jumped say 'my bad' for overreacting and the rest of them pat him on the back with little paws and laugh it off? Probably.

Do all the rats pretend that they knew the ship wasn't sinking and they were just going for a swim because they have such high standards for sea-worthiness?

Maybe most of the rats thought the Captain couldn't steer as well with a broken pinky and he'd end up sinking them. And the first one to bail the loudest gets the Realist Badge. Maybe somebody shouted "First one to stick his head inside his rat-hole wins!"

Or is the exercise just good experience for the end of the season when they might have to jump off again?

And why do they have to make so much noise when they leave? It's because they love the ship and hate to see it go.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Idgit;2406954 said:
The Washington game is *huge,* as it should be. I can't wait.

On a completely unrelated note, does anybody know what happens when rats get back on a ship that might or might not have been sinking? Does the first rat that jumped say 'my bad' for overreacting and the rest of them pat him on the back with little paws and laugh it off? Probably.

Do all the rats pretend that they knew the ship wasn't sinking and they were just going for a swim because they have such high standards for sea-worthiness?

Maybe most of the rats thought the Captain couldn't steer as well with a broken pinky and he'd end up sinking them. And the first one to bail the loudest gets the Realist Badge. Maybe somebody shouted "First one to stick his head inside his rat-hole wins!"

Or is the exercise just good experience for the end of the season when they might have to jump off again?

And why do they have to make so much noise when they leave? It's because they love the ship and hate to see it go.

:laugh2:

Bravo.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2406194 said:
Yeah, we lost to the Skins and Cards. It happens. They're pretty good teams and we aren't perfect. Who knew?

And funny how Norm would never mention that the Giants scraped by the Bengals worse than we did. Or that we beat the Browns, Eagles, Packers, and Bucs.

People do need to lower their expectations, because expecting to stomp people every single week isn't reality in this NFL. No matter how much we want it to be, it just isn't.

And I thought we learned last year that being the best in October doesn't matter? Last year after nine games the Giants were 6-3, one game better than us... And they never lost their starting QB. I promise you they'd have been at least one game worse than that with the Pillsbury Throwboy in there.

Right on target Lab. Some fans get literally pissed when we don't dominate every team. They over-emphasize every penalty or bobble and act like the players should always play perfect football. That's impossible.

People tend to forget that even the Dallas super bowl teams had missed assignments and penalties. I watched one of the old games from our Triplets super bowl era the other day and there were plenty of penalties, incompletions, mistakes and a flat out lack of dominance. I was a little surprised because in my memory, those teams dominated everyone and always had perfect execution... always without penalties, of course. And I do think that is part of the reason people get so upset now. They forget that every team makes mistakes, has injuries, has off days and are far from perfect.

Other team's mistakes are glossed over by Dallas fans and the Cowboys faults are highlighted. That's typical for every team's fans, I'd bet. That doesn't mean that their view of reality and their expectations aren't skewed.

Those triplets era championship teams made plenty of mistakes. They just had enough talent and drive to overcome most of them. They did lose Aikman for a few games a couple of times... but in those instances, they had capable backups to come in and drive the bus well enough to get by.

Brad Johnson is so mind numbingly ineffective that I don't think any team could overcome his incompetencies. He alone was enough for us to lose the two games we lost with him at the helm. The defense simply overcame enough to win the Tampa Bay game.

People forget how much difference a QB can really make. Remember how this team looked completely different once Romo took over for Bledsoe? Like night and day. As a matter of fact, the Giants game that Romo first took over in wasn't that far removed from looking like last week's Giants game. The QB throwing "holy ****" INT's and the rest of the team looking like "why even try?" that day.

With Romo there, TO doesn't fumble because he wouldn't have been turned around catching a pass that was three feet behind him. The defense wouldn't have been trying to win by themselves and they would have had less mistakes and penalties. But most of all, the psychological impact that not having Romo had on the team is gigantic.

So, that pretty much explains our last two losses. The first two were barely losses and like others have said... I think we win against the cards if Romo doesn't break his finger. And IMO, the team was overconfident against Washington the first time around. It happens.

I remember the 90's Cowboys having days like that. I remember a bad Atlanta team just embarassing the Cowboys in 1992, I think. I remember a bad Rams team embarassing them. Both with Jimmy Johnson at the helm. All of his dicsipline didn't help prevent that.

It happens to that team and it has happened to this team. Fans don't remember that though... they just see today's mistakes and think that this team is a lost cause. It isn't. Getting Romo, et al back is going to make a world of difference.

[/rant]

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2406142 said:
LOL. He got hurt in the first minute of OT. The Cardinals were playing like doo doo. The only reason they were even in the game is because Romo was getting pounded and the special teams gave up a big score.

MBIII gave us a miracle. That's the only reason were even able to get them into OT.

And yeah a healthy Romo probably does take us down for a game winning FG.

That's the point. The O line/FB were playing so poorly the kid couldn't avoid an injury. He didn't just hurt himself because he wanted to ya know.

Oh no. The OL did have problems. But it just goes to show how long Tony holds on to the ball. He can get away with that when the OL is healthy and together. More often than not. He can't do that as much with OL injuries and with a team that has a good pass rush. And he needs to protect the ball. Some QBs get sacked and still hang on to the ball. Tony doesn't. And his injury was the direct result of someone hacking at the ball. He carries that ball better he doesn't get injured IMO. At least not then and that way.