Audio: Spears 'We weren't ready mentally..' - 11/20/08

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Spears talking about not being 'mentally' ready for Rams game
--------------------------------------------

This really distrurbs me.

Why? Why weren't you ready mentally?

Because you lose a game and the starting QB is out a few games the rest of team now has an excuse to 'not be ready mentally' to play another NFL team?

I know we have all been pretty positive this week and things are looking up.

But hearing this BS still makes me wonder what the end of this season will look like when January rolls around.

And was anyone really surprised when 'Fats Domino' said he watched Refrigerator Perry more than he watched Mike Singletary back in the day?
:lmao2:

I really hope this is the last season I have to listen to this moron do 1,600 interviews during the year while he only makes 8 plays during the entire season.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2432076 said:

Because you lose a game and the starting QB is out a few games the rest of team now has an excuse to 'not be ready mentally' to play another NFL team?

But hearing this BS still makes me wonder what the end of this season will look like when January rolls around.

And was anyone really surprised when 'Fats Domino' said he watched Refrigerator Perry more than he watched Mike Singletary back in the day?

I really hope this is the last season I have to listen to this moron do 1,600 interviews during the year while he only makes 8 plays during the entire season.

Dude the guy is a linemen. What is wrong with watching a huge DT tackle dominate in many ways of the game instead of a linebacker? Give the guy a break. I see where you're coming from, but to each is own.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2432076 said:

You realize, Canty pretty much sucked this season right? Spears has been the second best DL for cowboys, period, so far this year.

mrla

A Passion for the Star
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2432263 said:
You realize, Canty pretty much sucked this season right? Spears has been the second best DL for cowboys, period, so far this year.

If this is true then we are really in a lot of trouble!

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
mrla;2432278 said:

Correction, we were in trouble and still are. Canty sucking has been one of the reasons so far that DL has been bad, other than Rat, and little bit up and down Spears. Tank pretty much sucked too. Hatcher hasn't been any good after all the talk last year that he was about to have breakout year.

Canty is the biggest dissappointment considering this is his contract year, since he signed only for one year. He did play better in Washington, but not much. And Canty gets to play a lot on 3rd down, unlike Spears.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
mrla;2432278 said:

Well, it is true, and that is a fact. Spears is outplaying Canty, and Canty was the one player that had to be re-signed. Well, the guy got rich, then lazy.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
FLcowboy;2432354 said:
Well, it is true, and that is a fact. Spears is outplaying Canty, and Canty was the one player that had to be re-signed. Well, the guy got rich, then lazy.

We only resigned Canty a one year tender! Get it right before you go blasting a guy for getting rich, then lazy!

And I see how well your theory has worked when you plug Jay Ratliff into that equation.

IMO, the only DL worth anything on this defense is Ratliff.

All the rest can go play somewhere else. I am sick of mediocre play from them and everyone on here trying to tell us they are above average.

The idea that lowering the standards to be a fan of a certain player is disgusting. Saying Spears is ok because he holds his block most of the time is stupid. His job isn't to be a paper weight, it's to get some penetration and disrupt a play every now and them, ala Jay Ratliff.

Canty, Hatcher, Bowen and Tank are in the same boat with Spears. None of them do enough to warrant any ideas that their job is safe.

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2432519 said:
We only resigned Canty a one year tender! Get it right before you go blasting a guy for getting rich, then lazy!

And I see how well your theory has worked when you plug Jay Ratliff into that equation.

All the rest can go play somewhere else. I am sick of mediocre play from them and everyone on here trying to tell us they are above average.

The idea that lowering the standards to be a fan of a certain player is disgusting. Saying Spears is ok because he holds his block most of the time is stupid. His job isn't to be a paper weight, it's to get some penetration and disrupt a play every now and them, ala Jay Ratliff.

Canty, Hatcher, Bowen and Tank are in the same boat with Spears. None of them do enough to warrant any ideas that their job is safe.

Right on, man!! I've been preaching to draft more DLs for the last two seasons, but keep getting shot down. I love Ratliff, but he belongs at DE. Can you imagine if we grab a top notch NT in the offseason, and move Jay over to LT? That would give us just the RT position to fill, and we'd be in business. However, when ripping the picks for the Dline, NE was very high on Jason Hatcher. In fact, they even called Parcells to congratulate him for getting Hatch before they could in the third round. So, you win some, you lose some.

What's funny is that the best player on the line was picked lower than all the rest.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This is true, but second best out of three isn't that great, especially considering the drop of from Rat's talent to Spears'. We need to upgrade our line pretty bad.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2432519 said:

Well, no one is going to mistake this for DoomsDay but they aren't exactly crapola either.

We have the #9 D in the league. We give up less than 5 yds a play right there with the best in the league other than one team....Pittsburg. We give up 293 yards a game which is 60 more than #2. Our main problem is we are giving up 22+ points a game. Too many. But that is not just the fault of the DL. We do give up too many rushing yards a game at 116 per game. Some of that is on Spears and Canty but as much or more is on Ratliff and the LBs. Some of it is on the scheme. They need to stop that look with the huge hole up the middle.

If you want to say Canty and Spears aren't making enough plays behind the LOS then I can agree some. But otherwise they are both doing their job.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The D-Linemen in a 3-4 scheme do not rack up sacks and tackles. I wish people understood that.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2432882 said:
The D-Linemen in a 3-4 scheme do not rack up sacks and tackles. I wish people understood that.

Even more reason for Ratliff to make the pro bowl. I don't see how Haynesworth gets mentioned for MVP when Ratliff numbers are really close to his.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
Hostile;2432882 said:

Super, but just because individual tackles and sacks may not indicate a crappy D-Line in a 3-4 look, it doesn't mean that they're not craptacular.

Consider - the Dallas defense gives up conversions on 3rd/4th and short (<2 yards) 86% of the time, the worst in the league by a good margin. Everyone should be thinking about that number, because it is a HUGE part of why we are losing games that we oughtn't to be and allowing bad teams to stay in games they ought not to be able to. It's not a 3-4 thing, either. Pittsburgh is among the best, allowing only 57% conversion. San Diego allows 69%. New England 58%.

Everyone points out how our defense is actually among the best in terms of total yards, and this is true, and reflects positively, especially on our pass defense - but the real story behind that and how teams are able to parlay so few yards into so many points has so much to do with the Cowboys' nearly historic softness on conversion situations.

If that's not an utter indictment of the defensive line, I have no idea what you're looking for.

But more than anything, we're easy to target and figure out. Just run to the right. If you run to the left and try to take on Ware and Canty, you're getting 3.70 ypc to the outside and 4.13 to the inside. If you go right and take on Spears and Ellis, you're getting 5.05 to the inside and 5.47 to the outside.

I don't see why anyone can justify breaking out the "3-4 DEs aren't supposed to get tackles and sacks!" argument when that's not the problem at all. It's not their stats, it's the absurd level of efficiency and productivity that they are allowing on a regular basis.

cowboyed

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2432076 said:

Maybe the defense wasn't mental enough to be ready...

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2432922 said:
Super, but just because individual tackles and sacks may not indicate a crappy D-Line in a 3-4 look, it doesn't mean that they're not craptacular.

Consider - the Dallas defense gives up conversions on 3rd/4th and short (<2 yards) 86% of the time, the worst in the league by a good margin. Everyone should be thinking about that number, because it is a HUGE part of why we are losing games that we oughtn't to be and allowing bad teams to stay in games they ought not to be able to. It's not a 3-4 thing, either. Pittsburgh is among the best, allowing only 57% conversion. San Diego allows 69%. New England 58%.

Everyone points out how our defense is actually among the best in terms of total yards, and this is true, and reflects positively, especially on our pass defense - but the real story behind that and how teams are able to parlay so few yards into so many points has so much to do with the Cowboys' nearly historic softness on conversion situations.

If that's not an utter indictment of the defensive line, I have no idea what you're looking for.

But more than anything, we're easy to target and figure out. Just run to the right. If you run to the left and try to take on Ware and Canty, you're getting 3.70 ypc to the outside and 4.13 to the inside. If you go right and take on Spears and Ellis, you're getting 5.05 to the inside and 5.47 to the outside.

I don't see why anyone can justify breaking out the "3-4 DEs aren't supposed to get tackles and sacks!" argument when that's not the problem at all. It's not their stats, it's the absurd level of efficiency and productivity that they are allowing on a regular basis.

Which translate they are not getting any penetration, push or tieing up the blockers to allow the LB to flow and I put some of that on the LB as well

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Hostile;2432882 said:

The great ones do.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2432882 said:

Ratliff. Stop giving them excuses for being mediocre.