Austin Hooper: I'm not like Jason Witten, where's it me vs other TEs

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't argue that he left the team in a lurch and people don't want to talk about how it hamstrung the entire draft process and quite possibly the entire offense that year. All because he wanted to be an announcer and flash his fancy toupees.

Then he gets a schnazzy crystal football in his retirement press conference, comes back a year later and doesn't give it back.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
How the hell did Heap understand Sharpe??? I have to use closed captioning if I want to watch his show.
Come on man arent you Spanish? Love you dog but leave uncle shay alone lol

On another note T.O. told us about this years ago no one should be surprised

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Its no big deal

Brett Favre said he wouldn’t help Aaron Rodgers
Perfect Analogy. Witten worked hard to become a starter and significant part in the offense and I don't recall him having TE mentors to follow on the team to help him become an All pro. I have a lot of respect for players who try to play as long as possible so they will have no regrets leaving a game they love. If your a veteran competitor, are you going to just step aside and the kids take you to the shed without pushing back? All that said, I place most f the blame on the FO for Wits "overstay" in a DC uniform since his ability had significantly decreased the last few years and frikin JJ and Garrett didn't have the onions to put him out to pasture.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I can see that with Witten. There's a line that Mark Schlerath said years ago on ESPN Radio that stuck with me: "I'm a competitor. Right now, you and I are playing a game that you don't even know exists, and I'm ahead by two points."

No doubt that Witten's a competitor too. But that same kind off no-off-switch fight in him that we love when he's shucking off Eagles defenders with no helmet on is the same kind of fight that won't give an inch to a rookie in training camp, even as a 50-year veteran. Hell, everyone praises Micharl Jordan's killer instinct too, but IMO that tied directly in to his pretty serious gambling issues, because everything became a game that he had to win. Competitiveness isn't always a positive thing.

Also: the whole "mentorship" thing is overblown in pro football. It's been mentioned with the Favre/Rodgers and Montana/Young examples earlier in this thread, but most veterans train rookies with the same amount of enthusiasm you'd have to train a new employee who'd been hired to take your job.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I can see that with Witten. There's a line that Mark Schlerath said years ago on ESPN Radio that stuck with me: "I'm a competitor. Right now, you and I are playing a game that you don't even know exists, and I'm ahead by two points."

No doubt that Witten's a competitor too. But that same kind off no-off-switch fight in him that we love when he's shucking off Eagles defenders with no helmet on is the same kind of fight that won't give an inch to a rookie in training camp, even as a 50-year veteran. Hell, everyone praises Micharl Jordan's killer instinct too, but IMO that tied directly in to his pretty serious gambling issues, because everything became a game that he had to win. Competitiveness isn't always a positive thing.

Also: the whole "mentorship" thing is overblown in pro football. It's been mentioned with the Favre/Rodgers and Montana/Young examples earlier in this thread, but most veterans train rookies with the same amount of enthusiasm you'd have to train a new employee who'd been hired to take your job.
Shannon sharpe said it best. He had 2 guys in denver and 1 guy in baltimore that ended up going to the pro bowl and he was proud that he mentored those guys and helped them get to that place. He treated it as a true team game and said I need to help these guys because if I go down we still gotta win ball games. Romo and Witten cared only about themselves and their friendship and it showed year in and year out.