Average draft According to Gosselin

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;4543953 said:
Agreed. None of these guys will start in 2012 except Morris and his opinions aren't unreasonable. Wagner being the potential pick at 45 really threw me for a loop, it's like they were going to draft guys that wouldn't start regardless of who was on the board. Like it was a plan.
Can't tell if sarcasm or not. That would be called drafting the BPA, not for need.

RS12

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4543945 said:
You can all whine about it, but nothing he said is really incorrect. Aside from Mo, i don't think we drafted a single starter, and some of the options out there certainly seemed better than the players we chose.

Again we agree Roy. But you know hope springs eternal around here.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;4544073 said:
By my count the 2nd rounders drafted last year only started in 205 out of a possible 512 regular season games, approx 40%. This includes franchises that guys like Goose and Sturm claim "know what they're doing" like New England (Shane Vereen 0 starts out of 16) and Philly (Jaiquawn Jarrett 2 starts out of 16, and those two starts were as injury fill ins).

Grading drafts entirely by whether the 2nd rounder starts is a pretty dumb way to evaluate a class.

Wow. You have this data available in a format you can sort and total? Or did you actually lookup and count those starts for each player, for every team?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can all whine about it, but nothing he said is really incorrect. Aside from Mo, i don't think we drafted a single starter, and some of the options out there certainly seemed better than the players we chose.

There were probably only Olinemen available who could've came in and started and thats just me guessing.

Dallas put an emphasis on defending the pass and imo that is what they needed to do.

If we don't get faster on defense than we'll never stop Philly and we got a lot faster plus we have 3 corners who can man up.

Hopefully the pass rush steps up but at least we have more pressure players today than we did before Friday afternoon.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I don't think he said anything unfair.

Valid points on Leary. He was fair with Carter.....essentially saying give him a chance. He didn't even really address the Wagner thing and if he had an axe to grind it would be there.

And, if you are an 8-8 team, you would expect to, in most cases, draft a starter in round 2.

Granted, there have been some changes in FA, but would anyone really be upset if the team had acquired upgrades to Pool (or even Sensabaugh), Livings, Costa or Bernadeau?

All in all, I actually liked the draft. Wilbur, Johnson and Crawford are the keys. Of all of those, Wilbur is actually the one I have the lowest expectations for.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He actually is only saying in 2012, he admitted that he thought Crawford and Wilber will start in 2013.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;4544350 said:
Can't tell if sarcasm or not. That would be called drafting the BPA, not for need.

2nd half was sarcastic, but I actually don't think any of them will start other than Claiborne and that's not unreasonable.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
TheCount;4544499 said:
2nd half was sarcastic, but I actually don't think any of them will start other than Claiborne and that's not unreasonable.

What players did you have on your board that were going to come in and start for us this year from our #81 pick onward?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Dallas might as well have traded away the 3rd, the Johnson pick and the 7th.

Claiborne is sweet. Instant starter.

Crawford ???? He's weak. Give me the BIG NT/DT right here. Taamu, Martin, or Thompson. Hicks would have been better also.

Wilber shows some great coverage skills for a big guy.

Matt Johnson???? Slow solid tackling safety with a nose for the ball against weak competition. Wasted pick. Could have gotten him as an UFA. Give me Chapman here.

Coale has a chance b/c Dallas is thin at WR and he's a smart player.

Hanna has some upside with his size and speed.

McSurdy is slow but has good change of direction ability. Smart and solid tackler. Give me Brewster the OSU center right here.

alpha

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4543991 said:
<snip> Guess our scouting dept is just that much better though..

After seeing the team grade Sean Lee and Navarro Bowman 1st rounders, or taking Murray in the third last year (to the objection of many fans at the time), it wouldn't be unreasonable to think they just might.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Someone should ask Goose if he would advise NFL teams to trade each of their elite players for two average starers.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
newnationcb;4544673 said:
What players did you have on your board that were going to come in and start for us this year from our #81 pick onward?

You're too busy being offended to even consider what I'm saying. I just said it's not unreasonable that only Clairborne will be starting from this class in 2012. Meaning, it's reasonable that the rest of them will need more time.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
The Realist;4544029 said:
Mo, Carr, Pool, Carter, Bernie, Livings, Vickers. If you can't figure out who the new starters are that's on you.

I never said future Pro Bowlers, but if you've already added 7 starters those mid round guys are guys who can contribute now, but hopefully become starters in the future.

Im well aware of who the new starters will most likely be, just pointing out that you listed Carter twice in your post.. if you couldn't figure that out, that's on you.

You also brought up Polamalu who didn't play much his first year but became a Pro Bowler in his second season. If Wilbur or Johnson come anywhere close to that, we'll be darn lucky.

..and just to make it clear, im not completely poo poo-ing this draft. Just think there were some much better options then the guys we took at certain spots. I think it was average. We'll get some players, but in 3 years i doubt there's more than one or two guys other than Claiborne still on the team. I don't think Goose said anything that was incorrect, which was the only thing i was saying all along. If you guys wana disagree with him or be upset with him for it that's fine, but he's about right imo.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
alpha;4544784 said:
After seeing the team grade Sean Lee and Navarro Bowman 1st rounders, or taking Murray in the third last year (to the objection of many fans at the time), it wouldn't be unreasonable to think they just might.

You can mark it down right now.. if you have a LB coming out of Linebacker U.. they're always first rounders.

:)

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
CATCH17;4544431 said:
There were probably only Olinemen available who could've came in and started and thats just me guessing.

Dallas put an emphasis on defending the pass and imo that is what they needed to do.

If we don't get faster on defense than we'll never stop Philly and we got a lot faster plus we have 3 corners who can man up.

Hopefully the pass rush steps up but at least we have more pressure players today than we did before Friday afternoon.

Stopping the pass is fine, and it would be my main focus as well.. just don't like some of the players we chose and felt there were better options out there. Example, i'd much rather have Boykin right now than Johnson.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4544829 said:
Stopping the pass is fine, and it would be my main focus as well.. just don't like some of the players we chose and felt there were better options out there. Example, i'd much rather have Boykin right now than Johnson.

Yeah we'll see.

I question Johnson as well but his production and phyiscal measurables will at least let me wait and see.

Plus after we drafted Claiborne give me Safety > Corner

I've also heard that Mario Butler is a guy to watch out for in camp.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
AdamJT13;4544802 said:
Someone should ask Goose if he would advise NFL teams to trade each of their elite players for two average starers.

Two average starters isn't nearly as good as four substandard starters. Just as long as you can call them "starters".

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
rwalters31;4543829 said:
You need more than one season to judge what any rookie can do. Carter is healthy now, he'll know the defense and the Cowboys expect him to start. We can talk more in depth on Carter after the 2012 season.

What grade would you give the Cowboys draft overall?

Gosselin: I thought the Cowboys had an average draft. I'm not sure they drafted more than one starter for 2012 -- and this is a non-playoff team that needs more help than that from its draft class.

Contradict yourself much? You need more than one year to judge a rookie, but yet he can judge a rookie class that hasn't even had one single workout.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13;4544802 said:

lol..