Average draft According to Gosselin

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
My problem with Goose is hypocrisy. He constantly chirps that "blue chip" players are what wins in the NFL and the 'Boys jump up and get one and he doesn't like that either.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;4544895 said:
Two average starters isn't nearly as good as four substandard starters. Just as long as you can call them "starters".

I'll take 8 backups.

Randy White

Reaction score
in time and see how " the Goose' " theory worked under Jimmah Jenius:

1989 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
13 picks = 1 starter - Darryl Johnston

1990 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
4 picks = ZERO starters

1991 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
15 picks = 1 starter - Larry Brown

1992 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
13 picks = ZERO starters

1993 draft ( 2nd rnd - 12th rnd )
13 picks - 1 starter - Darrin Smith

5 years, 58 picks, 3 rookie starters in round 2nd - 12th.

Randy White

Reaction score
back to last year and find out how many players that started at least 1 game were picked from the 2nd round until the 7th round

2011 Draft

2nd rnd = 11 out of 32 picks
( Andy Dalton, Jabaal Sheard, Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed, Titus Young, Orlando Franklin, Lance Kendricks, Stefen Wisniewski, Torrey Smith, Greg Little, Marcus Gilbert )

3rd rnd = 7 out 33 picks
( Terrel McClain, Kelvin Sheppard, Justin Houston, John Moffitt, Jerrell Casey, Mason Foster, Chris Conte )

4th rnd = 4 out of 34 picks
( K.J. Wright, Sam Acho, Luke Stocker, Quinton Carter )

5th rnd = 4 out of 34 picks
( DJ Williams, Denarius Moore, Jason Pinkston, Richard Sherman, )

6th rnd = 3 out 38 picks
( Charles Clay, Jason Kelce, Brian Rolle )

7th rnd = 0 out 51 picks

That's a grand total of 29 starters out of 222 players selected between the 2nd and 7th rounds.

Another miss for " the Goose ".

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
CATCH17;4544846 said:
Yeah we'll see.

I question Johnson as well but his production and phyiscal measurables will at least let me wait and see.

Plus after we drafted Claiborne give me Safety > Corner

I've also heard that Mario Butler is a guy to watch out for in camp.

Butler is a guy alot of us liked after TC last year, but alot of us were also suprised that despite our DB struggles and injuries last season he never was given a shot to come up and get any game time.

Randy White

Reaction score
the " goose " would sputter, " 2011 draft was an anamoly. "

Ok, let's do the 2010 draft and find out how many players drafted from the 2nd rnd to the 7th rnd had at least 1 start:

2010 NFL draft

2nd rnd = 18 out 32 draft picks

3rd rnd = 14 out of 33 draft picks

4th rnd = 6 out 33 picks

5th rnd = 7 out 38 picks

6th rnd = 2 out 38 picks

7th rnd = 4 out of 48 picks

A grand total of 51 starters out of 222 players selected between the 2nd and 7th rounds.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4544895 said:
Two average starters isn't nearly as good as four substandard starters. Just as long as you can call them "starters".

Good point. Of course, if we would just release Spears, Coleman, Hatcher, Spencer, Butler, Sensabaugh, Austin, Witten, Phillips, Connor and Carter, our 2012 draft will be FANTASTIC! Look, Goose, seven rookie starters in one draft!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AdamJT13;4545620 said:
Good point. Of course, if we would just release Spears, Coleman, Hatcher, Spencer, Butler, Sensabaugh, Austin, Witten, Phillips, Connor and Carter, our 2012 draft will be FANTASTIC! Look, Goose, seven rookie starters in one draft!!!
:bow:

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Randy White;4545615 said:
the " goose " would sputter, " 2011 draft was an anamoly. "

Ok, let's do the 2010 draft and find out how many players drafted from the 2nd rnd to the 7th rnd had at least 1 start:

2010 NFL draft

2nd rnd = 18 out 32 draft picks

3rd rnd = 14 out of 33 draft picks

4th rnd = 6 out 33 picks

5th rnd = 7 out 38 picks

6th rnd = 2 out 38 picks

7th rnd = 4 out of 48 picks

A grand total of 51 starters out of 222 players selected between the 2nd and 7th rounds.

1 out of 4 aint bad tbh.

Mr_Bill

Reaction score
Last week, several people bemoaned the fact that the DMN had changed Gosselin's assigment to add baseball and basketball responsibilities. While I miss his Final Mock and, especially, his Top 100 Prospects, we are perhaps better off having fewer instances of his ill-conceived NFL analysis.

Are there no good writers in the entire DFW Metroplex? :bang2:

If anyone knows of any, let me know, because I gave up looking some time ago. I get more (and better) information spending an hour here (and at Rafael Vela's and Bob Sturm's sites), than I would spending a day scouring the media outlets.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
SDogo;4544058 said:
That statement is filled with so many verified incorrect statements it was not even worth the time to write it or read it. You picked up on the article where Wilber stated his only pre draft visit is here (yet that says nothing, we drafted a player in the 1st round we never even spoke to as many teams did) yet you missed the others where Wilbur and Johnson received calls from numerous teams during the draft (Johnson, Phil and Chi starting in the 3rd round) and Wilbur was given 2nd round grades by several teams. If you dont know the prospects that's on you but don't make up stuff to support your argument.

SDogo laying the smack down on Hammer!!!!!

:lmao2:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Mr_Bill;4546944 said:
Last week, several people bemoaned the fact that the DMN had changed Gosselin's assigment to add baseball and basketball responsibilities. While I miss his Final Mock and, especially, his Top 100 Prospects, we are perhaps better off having fewer instances of his ill-conceived NFL analysis.

If anyone knows of any, let me know, because I gave up looking some time ago. I get more (and better) information spending an hour here (and at Rafael Vela's and Bob Sturm's sites), than I would spending a day scouring the media outlets.

If you think it's bad here, keep in mind that the SportDay pages of the DMN have, over time, dominated the writers awards nationally.
I'd hate to see what most sports columns look like

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
Duane;4544197 said:
The only thing Goose has done consistently well over the years is compile information from NFL teams to get player rankings.

Now that he's not doing that for the DMN there is no reason to take his other football opinions very serious.

jswalker1981;4545215 said:
Contradict yourself much? You need more than one year to judge a rookie, but yet he can judge a rookie class that hasn't even had one single workout.

To further your points, Goose was on with Norm earlier this week and shortly after panning our draft, especially the later round picks, he admitted he wasn't very familiar with any player outside the top 75 or so. How can he be critical about something he admits he has little knowledge of? Ridiculous.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4543991 said:
You listed Carter twice there, bud.. and ok. If any of these guys turns into a starter and a Pro Bowler in their second year, i'll change my opinion, lol. Good luck with that happening with Wilbur or Johnson though. The point was that there were better prospects out there when we made these selections. I think one example being that most teams didn't even have either of our 4th round picks on the radar and we are acting like they are first round talents who we really really wanted so badly. Wilbur said his only pre draft visit was here.. so clearly he wasn't thought of as some hot commodity by any team other than us. Guess our scouting dept is just that much better though..

Well, if you look at the analyst of the 2005 - 2009 Drafts yeah, our Scouting Department is alot better than MOST NFL teams at finding guys that can play in the NFL.....

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
All he said was it was an average class which is a little bit of praise coming from him and we probably only got one starter from the draft which is probably true. What I don't agree with is the lack of mention of losing a 2nd rounder to move up to take the best defensive player of the draft which of course hurt our chances of gaining an early starter (potentially). I also don't agree with the philosophy of drafting starters. I think you draft the BPA with need in mind in hopes of building the depth and increasing the overall talent level of the team. Drafting for starters sounds like drafting for need which can be problematic.

Don't know what all the hoopla is other than we really really get to talk more. You don't know for sure what you have for 2-4 years anyway.

DFWJC

Reaction score
sadams;4544775 said:
Dallas might as well have traded away the 3rd, the Johnson pick and the 7th.

Claiborne is sweet. Instant starter.

Crawford ???? He's weak. Give me the BIG NT/DT right here. Taamu, Martin, or Thompson. Hicks would have been better also.

Wilber shows some great coverage skills for a big guy.

Matt Johnson???? Slow solid tackling safety with a nose for the ball against weak competition. Wasted pick. Could have gotten him as an UFA. Give me Chapman here.

Coale has a chance b/c Dallas is thin at WR and he's a smart player.

Hanna has some upside with his size and speed.

McSurdy is slow but has good change of direction ability. Smart and solid tackler. Give me Brewster the OSU center right here.
Can't argue with some of your picks, but Johnson is very, very athletic. We'll see about both of your projected busts.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
SMCowboy;4547802 said:
Well, if you look at the analyst of the 2005 - 2009 Drafts yeah, our Scouting Department is alot better than MOST NFL teams at finding guys that can play in the NFL.....

Hey, I agree.. Parcells knows talent.

morasp

Reaction score
Mr_Bill;4546944 said:

If I was an up and coming sports reporter wanting to make a name for myself I would find a job in Dallas. Listening to those interviews of our draftees was painful.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
morasp;4548641 said:
If I was an up and coming sports reporter wanting to make a name for myself I would find a job in Dallas. Listening to those interviews of our draftees was painful.

I listened to some of Ttron Crawford's press interview and it was shameful. At one point someone asks him about his experience at the Senior Bowl and he corrects them and says I wasn't at the senior bowl, I was at East/West.

The idiot that asks the question starts snickering and saying sorry in this really obnoxious way and some of the press are heard snickering as well like a bunch of fools. You have to listen to t to get why it's so obnoxious, even beyond the fact that the guys asking them questions know almost nothing about him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
TheCount;4548770 said:
I listened to some of Ttron Crawford's press interview and it was shameful. At one point someone asks him about his experience at the Senior Bowl and he corrects them and says I wasn't at the senior bowl, I was at East/West.

The idiot that asks the question starts snickering and saying sorry in this really obnoxious way and some of the press are heard snickering as well like a bunch of fools. You have to listen to t to get why it's so obnoxious, even beyond the fact that the guys asking them questions know almost nothing about him.
That's terrible.

I heard thefan off the warroom cam on draft night after they took Caleb McSurdy and while they were trying to get a hold of McSurdy on the phone they were discussing the pick and because they had never heard of him they were calling him a camp body and such, and he ended up being on the phone as they were talking. Mickey Spagnola was the main culprit I believe and he even mentioned after the phone call that he got nothing but one word answers after that.