Ayers off Market; signed by Giants

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it has to be a rebuilding year. Dallas has an entire starting offense in place. Some might argue with Bernadeau starting, but I don't think Dallas feels it has to replace him and the line can succeed in protecting Romo with Bernadeau in there. Yes, there are some depth questions, but there are always depth questions.

It has at least two out of its three starting linebackers, depending on Carter, its top three corners and probably won't make a move at safety considering some of the "developing" youth there.

The weak spot is clearly the defensive line, and a first-round starter there, would at least give Dallas two "quality" starters. Adding another contender to the line in the second round might make it three linemen out of four, with Spencer, Selvie, Crawford, Bass contending to make it four out of four. Being competitive instead of "rebuilding" is not that far away. Dallas just doesn't want to have to spend recklessly to be competitive.
Yes, everyboody has a different definition of the term rebuilding.

The Cowboys are definitely taking a step back in terms of trying to force the issue of talent on the roster. Yes, they should be competitive but if they're going to all of the effort to dump Ware and not spend much in free agency, they might as well continue to concept of not trying to force things in the draft either.

It's been proven that teams that over focus on need in the draft have worse results than teams that take a bigger picture approach.

Going into this draft with the mindset that they have to draft DL in the 1st and 2 DL in the top 3 rounds would be a disaster waiting to happen.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Going into this draft with the mindset that they have to draft DL in the 1st and 2 DL in the top 3 rounds would be a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't believe that because it's all in the way you approach things. For instance, last year Dallas wanted an OL with the first pick, which became more obvious when the Cowboys passed up a chance to draft a DL they had rated much higher. Instead of overly forcing the issue, though, Dallas traded down to a position where drafting Frederick fit his value on their board, and was able to add Terrence Williams in the process.

Now, I'm not saying you always pass on someone much higher rated for someone lower rated, because it depends on the players available, but trading around makes it possible for a team to obtain what it needs when it's looking at players on similar tiers.

The value of getting a player at the greatest position of need has to be weighed against the value of the other players available.

So yes, I do go in targeting two DL in the top three rounds by planning to move around in the draft. But if a player is there that you absolutely can't pass on, then you change plans (plus there is some flexibility built in since you are looking for two out of three). Dallas could pass on Floyd last year to get an OL target because it wasn't absolutely sure he fit its DL plans. I won't be surprised to see the same kind of thing happen this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't believe that because it's all in the way you approach things. For instance, last year Dallas wanted an OL with the first pick, which became more obvious when the Cowboys passed up a chance to draft a DL they had rated much higher. Instead of overly forcing the issue, though, Dallas traded down to a position where drafting Frederick fit his value on their board, and was able to add Terrence Williams in the process.

Now, I'm not saying you always pass on someone much higher rated for someone lower rated, because it depends on the players available, but trading around makes it possible for a team to obtain what it needs when it's looking at players on similar tiers.

The value of getting a player at the greatest position of need has to be weighed against the value of the other players available.

So yes, I do go in targeting two DL in the top three rounds by planning to move around in the draft. But if a player is there that you absolutely can't pass on, then you change plans (plus there is some flexibility built in since you are looking for two out of three). Dallas could pass on Floyd last year to get an OL target because it wasn't absolutely sure he fit its DL plans. I won't be surprised to see the same kind of thing happen this year.

Mickey and Broaddus have said that the Cowboys would have drafted Safety Kenny Vaccaro if he made it to their pick at #18. They also said that the Cowboys might have drafted WR Cordarrelle Patterson is he made it to #31.

In other words, they didn't go into that draft with the idea of forcing a pick on OL or DL.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Mickey and Broaddus have said that the Cowboys would have drafted Safety Kenny Vaccaro if he made it to their pick at #18. They also said that the Cowboys might have drafted WR Cordarrelle Patterson is he made it to #31.

In other words, they didn't go into that draft with the idea of forcing a pick on OL or DL.

Safety was a need as well. I have trouble believing Dallas would have taken a wide receiver.