Twitter: Back Judge Doesn't Spot The Ball Bucs/Rams Game

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
You can clearly see him backing up from the ball as Stafford approaches the LoS
Yes. He’s backing away. Not coming from behind and trying to get through the line and players. Isn’t that what the op is saying? I don’t know. I’m asking if that’s what the difference is.

In our game the back judge was the one making the spot. He also felt he needed to respot it after running from 30 yards behind. Not sure how he knew where to spot it.

Is it set who’s job it is? It is clear he had no responsibility to respot it. I think that’s clear??

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.gif

Let's all agree that the refs screwed up on getting there on time after a horrible playcall at the end of a game where our offense was stuck in the mud the whole game. Now what...

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I'm done with these threads.

Dallas had 59 minutes and 46 seconds to not be in that situation. They trailed the entire game and lost.
Yeah I'm done also with re hashing this even though I think the refs certainly could be added to the list of why we failed that day.

Besides I've another outlet to help me thru my grief.
OGC.2ef118d97b77b714bf85927e83778946

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought the same time in real time and had to rewind it back to see one of the refs backing away. He touched the ball. Even if he didn't, I wouldn't have been mad because they sent that cry baby Brady packing.

Kaaron Rodgers is on the couch, too. Great weekend for me!

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I agree, this official spotted the ball - but my question is why did Dallas have to wait for the farthest away official to do the same? That's what I'm confused about
That's the bias being pointed out, from the looks of it the closest official could have touched the ball, that team of officials seem to value the urgency of the situation.

Brax

Reaction score

the ball was spotted,
"Umpire is the primary for spotting the ball," Dean Blandino, the NFL's vice president of officiating from 2013-17, explained on Twitter. "But on a deep pass like that the Back Judge will spot the ball. Goal is to be as efficient as possible."
So it appears that a 44 yard pass is longer than a 17 yard run and slide, looks like it was done correctly for the last time.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We just saw a clinic given by 3 QBs (Stafford, Mahomes and Allen) on how to run a 2 minute offense and all you got out of that was something about the back judge? I'll help you out here, even if Dak got that ball spiked, the odds of him converting the next play into a TD throw are miniscule. So, lets not pretend he gave us much if any chance of winning that game. We lost this game in the first 3 quarters.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
I noticed that too, but you know, as Dallas fans we can't say anything. I was waiting on the back judge to come into the camera shot, but never saw him/her. No one said anything either.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The back judge came in (contrary to us being told it was referee required) but never touched the ball (also opposite what we were told).

It sucks all the way around and Dallas took the gamble and lost. But rules should be consistent and seen week over week in action.

Things shouldn't vary by crew.
Dallas wasn't good enough but neither were the refs.
The ref saw Dak take off and knew the ball needed to be spotted quickly yet it took more than 9 seconds to cover 17 yards and spot the ball??
That's egregious.
Dudes on 600-pound life can cover 17 yards in 9 seconds.

kevm3

Reaction score
if we would have been able to tie or win with a field goal. I would be upset. facts are we had 59 minutes and 46 seconds to avoid it and yet we are upset about not getting a final chance to the endzone for some miracle play...if we depend on miracles to pull out wins, we have other issues

Teams shouldn't have to continually compensate for the incompetence if not flat out corruption of the refereeing crew.

JayFord

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost that game because of penalties

the only penalty that had me raging was the delay of game

the ref actually stood there for 6 seconds while we tried to snap the ball