Back Up QB

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
I know all the talk right now is #4’s contract and all. Who do you guys think will be his direct back up? Ben didn’t impress and I haven’t heard anything about resigning Garrett Gilbert. He’d be me personal favorite for that spot. I believe he earned to at least get brought back. We gotta have a plan in case he does hold out.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Writing off DiNucci after he was thrown in against the Eagles is unfair. He had no business being on the field in his rookie year any more than Tony Romo, who sat for 3 years after coming from the FCS level. Similarly, Gilbert gets too much credit for a mediocre game against Pittsburgh after 6 years bouncing around the league. The Cowboys defense (surprisingly) kept Dallas in the Pittsburgh game.

DiNucci actually has potential to grow. Gilbert is what he is at this point. I wouldn't want to rely on either as the back up in 2021.

Depending on how things go with #4 you could see a rookie, picked a bit higher than DiNucci, backing him up in what would be his last season in Dallas.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good question. Gilbert, or do you retain Dalton. But that $$ could be going to Dak, so doubt that happens.
They could still draft a QB, then trade at a later time. Even if he is drafted in the 2nd round.

Wait until later on, see what vet QB's are out there is probably the most likely scenario for now.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
It is probably best to see what is available at QB once the music stops and the chairs are filled. Who would have thought Andy Dalton would have been the backup this time last year? Some guy with starter/borderline starter talent (like Cam Newton but please not Cam Newton) will be looking for a spot. If they can't get a deal done with Dak the backup could even be whoever they pick at 10 to take Dak's place after the franchise tag is up.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Several thoughts on backup QB position:
  • I have never been a fan of throwing a lot of cap space at a backup. Especially when you’re cap space is already an issue. I like either Gilbert, DiNucci or some other rookie or young QB that’s inexpensive with some upside as the backup.
  • Regarding Gilbert: I think our fans were so starved for some decent QB play when Gilbert played fairly well against Pitt, he became way overrated. Yes he had a decent game against the Steelers. But I guarantee you the Steelers had little to no game film or prep on Gilbert. Give an NFL defensive coordinator time to prepare for him, and I’m afraid the Cinderella slipper doesn’t fit as well. There’s a reason he’s never landed anywhere by the time he’s 30.
  • I’ve usually been a fan of the Patriots’ approach to backup QBs. Draft a mid round guy every other year and see if they can be developed into something. Either as a trade or if you’re lucky, as a future starter. You won’t hit on all of them but you never know when you find a Jimmy Garoppolo type than can yield good trade value.
  • IMO, the Andy Dalton boat has sailed. He will be either a short term starter somewhere or an overpriced backup somewhere, but he won’t be here.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Writing off DiNucci after he was thrown in against the Eagles is unfair. He had no business being on the field in his rookie year any more than Tony Romo, who sat for 3 years after coming from the FCS level. Similarly, Gilbert gets too much credit for a mediocre game against Pittsburgh after 6 years bouncing around the league. The Cowboys defense (surprisingly) kept Dallas in the Pittsburgh game.

DiNucci actually has potential to grow. Gilbert is what he is at this point. I wouldn't want to rely on either as the back up in 2021.

Depending on how things go with #4 you could see a rookie, picked a bit higher than DiNucci, backing him up in what would be his last season in Dallas.

There is some truth in your comment but boy does Dinucci have a lot of growing to do!

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score

I like Ben man, but stil it be year 2 and I follow the QB guru he works out with in the offseason and like what I see. So you’d be fine if Dinucci were to start a few games this year? Or a vet?

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'd bring in a vet like joe flaco.
draft a guy in the later rounds.
let gilbert,rush and dinucci square off with all of'm.
keep 3.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I know all the talk right now is #4’s contract and all. Who do you guys think will be his direct back up? Ben didn’t impress and I haven’t heard anything about resigning Garrett Gilbert. He’d be me personal favorite for that spot. I believe he earned to at least get brought back. We gotta have a plan in case he does hold out.
In my book, Gilbert is our backup QB and the Nooch is our PS QB.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I wouldn't even waste a PS spot on Dinucci....Gilbert showed far more.

Gilbert has been in a few training camps, in a year where everything was turned upside down with the inability for orientation, inability to develop rookies, missing offseason programs, training camp and missing preseason games, what did you expect from Dinucci.....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Good question. Gilbert, or do you retain Dalton. But that $$ could be going to Dak, so doubt that happens.
They could still draft a QB, then trade at a later time. Even if he is drafted in the 2nd round.

Wait until later on, see what vet QB's are out there is probably the most likely scenario for now.

Should draft another QB regardless. Keep em coming. Competition. If DiNucci and Gilbert want to stick, they need to beat someone.

That's my plan for the 2 spots behind the starter. Always bring in a third, if not a fourth. "Tryouts", a la Joker. And the starter gotta beat the other guys out too. Developing QBs should be a year round activity.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Gilbert has been in a few training camps, in a year where everything was turned upside down with the inability for orientation, inability to develop rookies, missing offseason programs, training camp and missing preseason games, what did you expect from Dinucci.....
I expected absolutely nothing and got worse than I expected.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Several thoughts on backup QB position:
  • I have never been a fan of throwing a lot of cap space at a backup. Especially when you’re cap space is already an issue. I like either Gilbert, DiNucci or some other rookie or young QB that’s inexpensive with some upside as the backup.
  • Regarding Gilbert: I think our fans were so starved for some decent QB play when Gilbert played fairly well against Pitt, he became way overrated. Yes he had a decent game against the Steelers. But I guarantee you the Steelers had little to no game film or prep on Gilbert. Give an NFL defensive coordinator time to prepare for him, and I’m afraid the Cinderella slipper doesn’t fit as well. There’s a reason he’s never landed anywhere by the time he’s 30.
  • I’ve usually been a fan of the Patriots’ approach to backup QBs. Draft a mid round guy every other year and see if they can be developed into something. Either as a trade or if you’re lucky, as a future starter. You won’t hit on all of them but you never know when you find a Jimmy Garoppolo type than can yield good trade value.
  • IMO, the Andy Dalton boat has sailed. He will be either a short term starter somewhere or an overpriced backup somewhere, but he won’t be here.

I don't want short timers as backups. Backup QB is a developmental spot. Can work for vets like Dalton too, if he'll work a contract where he's backup cost as long as he's not starting.
But since Dalton played like a starter, he should be moving on now for real money. Someone will give it to him. The Kyle Orton Story II.
I'm big on QB development too, *especially* when the HC is supposed to be the QB Whisperer. Show us the magic, big guy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don’t know what they didn’t like about Garrett. The dude stood tall, and ran, and is a big dude. He almost beat Pitts in his first start. My guess is he’s more of a game manager and they don’t want the offense to change with the backup.
that might have been the best game of his life. he was in Carolina and didn't make it and bounced around 7 years. there must be a reason, so we can't judge from one game....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Writing off DiNucci after he was thrown in against the Eagles is unfair.
Don't write off anyone we have cheap rights to. Let em come and compete.

But *make* them compete. If we're not bringing enough QBs to camp to be *planning* to cut one or two in final cuts, were doing it wrong.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Wrong.

Dak was thrown to the wolves as a rookie, and Dak shown brighter than the brightest star in the sky.

DiNucci struggled badly. I wouldn't bother with keeping him unless you're going to keep him on the practice squad.

As for Gilbert, he played very well against a much better and experienced Steelers team that is pretty good on both sides of the ball. Garrett Gilbert deserves credit for almost pulling off the upset, especially since he played very well. I would definitely bring Garrett Gilbert back as Dak's backup QB.

HotDog37

Reaction score
I don’t know what they didn’t like about Garrett. The dude stood tall, and ran, and is a big dude. He almost beat Pitts in his first start. My guess is he’s more of a game manager and they don’t want the offense to change with the backup.

The Dallas Cowboys have no idea how to both evaluate talent and implement it properly. That's actually one of many issues with the franchise and I do agree with you.