Baldy Breakdown - Defense Chasing Ghosts

Jarntt

Reaction score
Nope. Mazi is supposed to be in the A gap and Overshown is a gap too far over. The second that puller comes, Kendricks (it might have been the safety in this play) has to set the edge him to the edge. Kendricks is in a no-win here because he has two gaps, but that doesn't mean 11 has the edge - he still has the C gap on the outside shoulder of the T.
It's absolutely not Kendricks role to have edge responsibility on that play. No chance. And Mazi isn't even in the A gap on that first play and Overshown is on the other side of the defense

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It's absolutely not Kendricks role to have edge responsibility on that play. No chance. And Mazi isn't even in the A gap on that first play
Yes it is, but he is poorly aligned for it.

He's not in the A gap because he can't cross face.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Wrong. Watch it again and look at the defensive alignment. There isn't even a LBer there to get to the edge. He has edge responsibility on that play. Kendricks is a base MIKE and has the RB and Overshown might have edge responsibility on the other side. In what world do you think any DC is going to ask Kendricks to get outside before Lamar from where he is lining up?
2wr with a Y off the LOS, someone at the 2nd level should have that read and follow him across the formation, often times that's a read your middle backer would take. My guess it that's supposed to be Wilson from the Safety spot, but I can only guess on that. It's either really poor defensive preparation or this was a missed assignment at the 2nd level IMO. Even if Parsons sets the edge and gets on the outside shoulder of the pulling TE we are still complaining because of the massive gap open there.

Jarntt

Reaction score
2wr with a Y off the LOS, someone at the 2nd level should have that read and follow him across the formation, often times that's a read your middle backer would take. My guess it that's supposed to be Wilson from the Safety spot, but I can only guess on that. It's either really poor defensive preparation or this was a missed assignment at the 2nd level IMO. Even if Parsons sets the edge and gets on the outside shoulder of the pulling TE we are still complaining because of the massive gap open there.
Both safeties followed the WRs in motion. Hookers guy trailed the play and was behind the QB so he can't get there and Wilson followed his man to the other side of the field so how is he supposed have containment on the side he vacated?

edit: watching it back I think it was Lewis following the WR from the defensive right to left. I'm not sure where Wilson was.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love to be able to get a film review session from Zimmer to know for sure the responsibilities here, but that will never happen. I highly suspect that this isnt a Parsons issue though....outside of not getting set, no real excuse for that. That first play though when the LT blocks down like that typically your DE is supposed to crash down with him, and get underneath the pulling player to not leave a massive gap. Someone should have been following the Y on that play....I just cant say it enough, but if you get a 2 wr look with the Y playing off the LOS they will take you to the ball nearly every time. I can't say for sure because we dont know everyones specific responsibilities but I have to believe that is either a backer or whoever the box safety was on that play who needs to be covering the outside once Micah crashed down. The reads from the 2nd level just seem to be oddly off, which is the last thing I would have expected from a Mike Zimmer defense.

The 2nd play in that video once again, what is the 2nd level reading here? Someone has to be reading the Y, and once again he didn't crash down so the backer can't bite. I'm guessing Zimmer is having these guys do some version of a triangle read, but this is two weeks in a row where it really looks like they are dialed in on one player and not the full triangle. I would say this is a player issue, but its literally every single 2nd level player who is getting sucked in. Also I would imagine someone is responsible for Lamar Jackson on this play so how you dont have two guys covering that side of the field is beyond me.

A week ago I said it was the players, not coaching, but if its not getting fixed, especially to this degree, that's a coaching issue. A lot of pressure should be on Zimmer this week, NY lacks talent (aside from Nabers) but they try to make up for a lot of that lack of talent with a ton of misdirection. No reason to think they wont steal a lot of these same concepts that have been used the last couple weeks that have left the Cowboys defense with absolutely zero answers.
Good assessment. I was intrigued by Jourdan Lewis’ post game comments where he made it crystal clear that they did not have a good day of practice on the final day of preparation. That is usually a clear sign that a team is not prepared. He implied that some guys just aren’t acting like professional football players…studying film, practicing hard, etc.

Whatever the reasons, this team‘s boat is taking water and having the coaching staff all on one year deals makes for a potential disaster if the players believe a new coaching staff is on the way anyway. This is so reminiscent of Wade’s lame duck year where the players quit on him. Hasn’t happened yet but we should be on “quit watch”.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Both safeties followed the WRs in motion. Hookers guy trailed the play and was behind the QB so he can't get there and Wilson followed his man to the other side of the field so how is he supposed have containment on the side he vacated?
First off I said 2wr set, it was 3wr, my bad. But anyways on the motion it carried Jordan Lewis to the strong side, someone has to be responsible for the Y there, they simply have to be. If it were play action or RPO instead of a straight run that man would have gone uncovered for possibly an even bigger gain than Lamar got on the run. Its a similar issue on that play action a few plays later. No one accounts for the TE off the play action. Its either extremely poor game prep from Zimmer or these guys at the 2nd level are the most undisciplined group in football.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To be honest I'm not even sure that Lamar Jackson was the issue. The issue seems to be that this team has struggled and been confused the the opponents OL for two straight weeks.
yes, but what exactly is being done to fix it??? Hey guys lets go out and get em next week we're proud of you???

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Good assessment. I was intrigued by Jourdan Lewis’ post game comments where he made it crystal clear that they did not have a good day of practice on the final day of preparation. That is usually a clear sign that a team is not prepared. He implied that some guys just aren’t acting like professional football players…studying film, practicing hard, etc.

Whatever the reasons, this team‘s boat is taking water and having the coaching staff all on one year deals makes for a potential disaster if the players believe a new coaching staff is on the way anyway. This is so reminiscent of Wade’s lame duck year where the players quit on him. Hasn’t happened yet but we should be on “quit watch”.
Agree completely. This weeks game should reveal a lot about this team. If they get down early again I would expect a lot of quitting from this team. Defensively players are either confused by their responsibilities, or have simply gone rogue and are doing their own thing. Its really so difficult to say which it is, but I think that either way it falls on coaching for not getting it fixed. It then falls on Jerry for having these guys coach on 1 year deals, because this potential doomsday scenario we are up against is exactly what happened last time he did this.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
yes, but what exactly is being done to fix it??? Hey guys lets go out and get em next week we're proud of you???
Wish I had an answer there. Good news is its a short week against a lesser opponent so they have a chance to get some good vibes going again. Bad news is its a short week so they dont have much time to truly fix things.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I said Newton referenced the first few since they were ran at the assassin. He didn't say dlaw played well. I just think it's funny seeing people claim micah had no fault in this game.

I think there needs to be a clear line.

Micah hasn’t been perfect and sometimes tries to play hero ball and gets himself out of position. That is certainly true.

However, some fans on the board claim he can’t play the run at all and it’s all his fault that the run defense stinks. Which just isn’t true. Micah has some weaknesses against the run especially when playing DE but he is actually an ok run defender. The problem is he doesn’t have much help around him to free him up to do what he really excels at, which is harassing the opposing QB all game long.

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
He implied that some guys just aren’t acting like professional football players…studying film, practicing hard, etc.
It has been that way in Dallas since Jimmy left. Hell Troy said it was exactly why he retired back then. Nothing has changed in the 30 years sense.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wish I had an answer there. Good news is its a short week against a lesser opponent so they have a chance to get some good vibes going again. Bad news is its a short week so they dont have much time to truly fix things.
are these vibes really good, I want us to play against someone that we struggled with like SF beat them and I'll start to believe we're turning the page (You see how I wrote this, to avoid claiming that an NFL is just going to be a cake walk=NYG) lol

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
are these vibes really good, I want us to play against someone that we struggled with like SF beat them and I'll start to believe we're turning the page (You see how I wrote this, to avoid claiming that an NFL is just going to be a cake walk=NYG) lol
I agree, regardless of what happens this week we need to see it against better teams, but sometimes you have to crawl, then walk, then run. This team has reverted back to the crawling stage where they simply need to get a victory under their belt, buy into process a little bit (I kind of hate myself for using that line), and just get a few things to build off of for next week.

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
In the next 6 weeks, Pittsburgh, Detroit, SF, Atlanta and Philly are all going to put up 200 yards rushing on this defense unless they get it figured out soon. Beating a terrible Giants team is going to help them do that.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree, regardless of what happens this week we need to see it against better teams, but sometimes you have to crawl, then walk, then run. This team has reverted back to the crawling stage where they simply need to get a victory under their belt, buy into process a little bit (I kind of hate myself for using that line), and just get a few things to build off of for next week.
Damn you thunder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Adreme

Reaction score

Honestly this breakdown is silly. I can almost promise you Micah’s assignment on read option plays is to always crash the RB and then trust the players behind him to set the edge and force Lamar inside. The entire point of that play is Micah has to pick one and stopping Henry was clearly his assignment in that situation.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
First off I said 2wr set, it was 3wr, my bad. But anyways on the motion it carried Jordan Lewis to the strong side, someone has to be responsible for the Y there, they simply have to be. If it were play action or RPO instead of a straight run that man would have gone uncovered for possibly an even bigger gain than Lamar got on the run. Its a similar issue on that play action a few plays later. No one accounts for the TE off the play action. Its either extremely poor game prep from Zimmer or these guys at the 2nd level are the most undisciplined group in football.
That's the thing even on just those handful of plays, it seems there are breakdowns across the board. Like Baldy explained those were basic plays the Ravens run regularly and looked so unprepared for them. Poor game prep from Zimm, guys not understanding their assignments, guys going rouge trying to play heroball, not buying into the scheme, or just lack of personal prep from the players, a combination of these? Can they fix it? Maybe, but it starts with the players themselves, understand your assignments and do your job and then we can adjust from there, but disheartening that the entire defense looks so out of sync.