Twitter: Baldy Breakdowns the 68 yard Dak to Pollard touchdown

cmoney23

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Not sure I buy that. Didn't they occupy the safety with another receiver? Pollard just torched a LB like he should. Dak did keep his eyes left til the last minute but I'm not sure that had much bearing as the safety was well outta the way already. Dak did throw quickly once pivoting which wouldn't have given the defender much warning anyway. He threw a very nice ball as well. Hitting a guy in stride allows for big plays like this.

The formation was the foundation to this play. Setting up in a 3 by 1 set against that zone gave us a a mismatch on the left side so Harrison has to shade over there some presnap. Leaving a true 2v2 on the right.

Dak has to look there to hold the safety and manipulate him. But Dak knows presnap he's got this one.

Block it up, execute and celebrate.

Proof

Reaction score
That was also an exceptional throw. It looked like the defender just assumed the throw was going OB, which it was, but it was going OB where only CeeDee could get it.

i’m not sure i buy that personally. think it was somewhat off target but ceedee played it beautifully

could be wrong though and don’t care

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i’m not sure i buy that personally. think it was somewhat off target but ceedee played it beautifully

could be wrong though and don’t care
Watching the play, it looks as if CeeDee might actually be telling Dak to throw it OB. I could be wrong, but he seems to be giving a subtle point that way. Regardless, if he'd thrown it in bounds, there's a good chance it gets swatted.

plymkr

Reaction score
It was a great play call and execution by everyone. Dak looked off the defenders and moved them out of the way. Peterson took the TE. Pollard put a great double move on the the LB. Dak dropped a dime to Pollard.
I believe that was one of the best throws in Dak's career. Right on the money, in stride, perfect throw. I'm not one that compliments Dak frequently but he was lights out on Sunday. And I agree with you. Everyone executed that play. The offensive linemen gave Dak time to look off the safety, Pollard got a step on the LBer, caught it and took it to the house.

conner01

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Not sure I buy that. Didn't they occupy the safety with another receiver? Pollard just torched a LB like he should. Dak did keep his eyes left til the last minute but I'm not sure that had much bearing as the safety was well outta the way already. Dak did throw quickly once pivoting which wouldn't have given the defender much warning anyway. He threw a very nice ball as well. Hitting a guy in stride allows for big plays like this.
I’ve seen a much better breakdown of the play
Schultz pointed out the safety was moving over and Dak changed the play. The safety was occupied helping cover the trips on the other side
The trips was just a decoy once he changed the play and pollard ran the route perfectly, while Dak threw a perfect pass. Pre snaps recognition made that play work to perfection but it was obvious that wasn’t the original play called in the huddle

tunahelper

Reaction score

You are right, but Dak allowed it to play out, which shows anticipation. Dak has struggled with anticipating routes and throwing people open. Good sign there.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The play design on Pollard's TD was great as well. Even if Harrison didn't cheat over because Dak was looking to his left, Schultz's route would have kept him more toward the middle of the field as well.
That's what I'm saying. He had to cover Schultz.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pollard against 90% LBs is a mismatch in coverage. Its a travesty this matchup hasn't been exploited more over the years.

This.

The infuriating thing is we brought Pollard in to be our "web back", a hybrid WR/RB, but once we discovered that he's a legit RB we forgot we could send him downfield.

Fastest guy on our offense, takes half the season to send him downfield in the *inevitable* mismatch against a LB.