BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1 1/16/14 Mock Draft

Dwight

Reaction score
Nix is a run stuffing NT. His pass rush skills are limited. He's had some motivational issues and a recent (relatively minor) knee surgery.

We are looking for high motor guys who can get after the QB.

We passed on a highly rated DT last year because he didn't fit our defense system. Why on earth would we go after a player who is the exact opposite of what we want?

First of all I didn't know he had motivational issues. In regards to him being total opposite of what Dallas wants, in my opinion I feel that Nix would provide Dallas with a solid presence in the middle. What's the problem with that?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
First of all I didn't know he had motivational issues. In regards to him being total opposite of what Dallas wants, in my opinion I feel that Nix would provide Dallas with a solid presence in the middle. What's the problem with that?

Nix was benched and almost kicked off ND early in his college playing career.

The problem with a "solid presence in the middle" is that our entire D-line philosophy is built on having 4 guys whose primary job it is to get to the QB.

Like it or not, only a stupid team drafts guys who aren't a fit to the scheme they run

Dwight

Reaction score
Nix was benched and almost kicked off ND early in his college playing career.

The problem with a "solid presence in the middle" is that our entire D-line philosophy is built on having 4 guys whose primary job it is to get to the QB.

Like it or not, only a stupid team drafts guys who aren't a fit to the scheme they run

I didn't know about his problems that's something I need to research. However, it's just my opinion about his performance.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Nix looks like Wifork coming out of college. He is a great player. Like Star l. He won't put up numbers but will have huge impact on his defense.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I am just giving picks they have for the Cowboys. They only list the first four rounds.
If you want to see the whole list.... http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2014.php

Round 1

Dallas Cowboys: Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
The Cowboys would love it if someone like Louis Nix fell to them because they have major problems at defensive tackle. Jason Hatcher happens to be a free agent, while the other starter, Nick Hayden, was an abomination this past season. Nix can fit in either defense, so he would make lots of sense just in case Jerry Jones wants to eventually move back to the 3-4.

Round 2

Dallas Cowboys: David Yankey, G/OT, Stanford
The Cowboys are so desperate at guard that they lured Brian Waters out of semi-retirement. Waters was then knocked out for the year. So much for that.

Round 3

Dallas Cowboys: Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State
When defenders like Ernie Sims and DeVonte Holloman are playing major snaps for the defense, something absolutely needs to be done.

Round 4

Dallas Cowboys: Jordan Richards, S, Stanford
Dallas had horrible safety play all year. An upgrade in this area would have allowed it to beat Philadelphia in Week 17.

I can live with that.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Nix is a run stuffing NT. His pass rush skills are limited. He's had some motivational issues and a recent (relatively minor) knee surgery.

We are looking for high motor guys who can get after the QB.

We passed on a highly rated DT last year because he didn't fit our defense system. Why on earth would we go after a player who is the exact opposite of what we want?

We need a rush 3 or two but we can use a heavy for the 1. We don't always shoot the gaps and Kiffin said he wanted to play some shoot and hold. When they play 3 down they should be playing some 2 gap as well. And we can use an anchor on the GL and short yardage. So a NT is ok with me.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
We need a rush 3 or two but we can use a heavy for the 1. We don't always shoot the gaps and Kiffin said he wanted to play some shoot and hold. When they play 3 down they should be playing some 2 gap as well. And we can use an anchor on the GL and short yardage. So a NT is ok with me.

Play "some."

Yeah, I'm going to spend a first on "some."

starfrombirth

Reaction score
He's listed at like 302 I think

The idea of not wanting 300+ players is more of a philosophy. Marinelli wants quick guys, and they tend to be under 300 (i.e. Ratliff.) That doesn't mean that they will refuse to draft a guy because he weighs 308 I don't think.

I wouldn't think so either since there are some pretty disruptive 300+ pound big guys.

ghst187

Reaction score
I am just giving picks they have for the Cowboys. They only list the first four rounds.
If you want to see the whole list.... http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2014.php

Round 1

Dallas Cowboys: Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
The Cowboys would love it if someone like Louis Nix fell to them because they have major problems at defensive tackle. Jason Hatcher happens to be a free agent, while the other starter, Nick Hayden, was an abomination this past season. Nix can fit in either defense, so he would make lots of sense just in case Jerry Jones wants to eventually move back to the 3-4.

Round 2

Dallas Cowboys: David Yankey, G/OT, Stanford
The Cowboys are so desperate at guard that they lured Brian Waters out of semi-retirement. Waters was then knocked out for the year. So much for that.

Round 3

Dallas Cowboys: Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State
When defenders like Ernie Sims and DeVonte Holloman are playing major snaps for the defense, something absolutely needs to be done.

Round 4

Dallas Cowboys: Jordan Richards, S, Stanford
Dallas had horrible safety play all year. An upgrade in this area would have allowed it to beat Philadelphia in Week 17.

i take it minus the 4th round, give me a RB

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You misread that. It doesn't mean the player plays a few snaps. It means they play different gap control.

Job, you gotta get past what you like in a DT and understand what the coaches want.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Job, you gotta get past what you like in a DT and understand what the coaches want.

I said I wouldn't mind a 1 who could play 2 gap and penetrate in a one gap as well. Nothing wrong with that and I'd bet they'd love to have a guy like that to compliment a rush 3 tech. I like versatility. The more things a guy can play the better.

Those guys don't grow on trees though. I suspect they'll take the best they can get.

tm1119

Reaction score
I said I wouldn't mind a 1 who could play 2 gap and penetrate in a one gap as well. Nothing wrong with that and I'd bet they'd love to have a guy like that to compliment a rush 3 tech. I like versatility. The more things a guy can play the better.

Those guys don't grow on trees though. I suspect they'll take the best they can get.

I've said it a few times, but if Mareneli can't figure out how to effectively use a guy like Nix then Rod doesn't need a job here. And I like Rod, but we just need to draft the most talented players we can get and not worry about what a d line coach who has a decent chance of being employed else where next year wants.

Not to mention that not drafting a talented player because they are too big just doesn't work as a general idea in the NFL.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I've said it a few times, but if Mareneli can't figure out how to effectively use a guy like Nix then Rod doesn't need a job here. And I like Rod, but we just need to draft the most talented players we can get and not worry about what a d line coach who has a decent chance of being employed else where next year wants.

Not to mention that not drafting a talented player because they are too big just doesn't work as a general idea in the NFL.

I agree. They should draft the best player available with an eye on DL, S and CB initially.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Figuring out how to use him is not really the issue. At #16/17 there are many talented players to choose from. It's about how Nix compares to those players. I'm sure Marinelli could get the best out of him but is Nix more valuable to the Cowboys than all other available players?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Just so you understand...It's not my draft I just posted it from the site.

Just so you understand- it's
e7d6shoot_the_messenger.gif

tm1119

Reaction score
Figuring out how to use him is not really the issue. At #16/17 there are many talented players to choose from. It's about how Nix compares to those players. I'm sure Marinelli could get the best out of him but is Nix more valuable to the Cowboys than all other available players?

Yeah I know. I'm just saying that if Nix is clearly the best player available on the board it would be beyond dumb to pass on him because he's too big. I don't want to reach for a guy like Donald at 16 and pass on Nix just because Mareneli likes smaller DT's. That's pretty much the same thing as passing on BPA to reach for a position of need in my book. We just need the most talented front 7 players we can get.