BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1 1/16/14 Mock Draft

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Yeah I know. I'm just saying that if Nix is clearly the best player available on the board it would be beyond dumb to pass on him because he's too big. I don't want to reach for a guy like Donald at 16 and pass on Nix just because Mareneli likes smaller DT's. That's pretty much the same thing as passing on BPA to reach for a position of need in my book. We just need the most talented front 7 players we can get.

Agree, basing picks on Marinellis preferences when there's no guarantee how long he'll be here is idiotic

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I know. I'm just saying that if Nix is clearly the best player available on the board it would be beyond dumb to pass on him because he's too big. I don't want to reach for a guy like Donald at 16 and pass on Nix just because Mareneli likes smaller DT's. That's pretty much the same thing as passing on BPA to reach for a position of need in my book. We just need the most talented front 7 players we can get.

I do think that Nix is a very good player that can play in any scheme. They would need to analyze his mental-makeup to be certain that he is not inclined to gain weight. He would probably benefit from dropping a few pounds, especially if he is drafted by a 4-3 team.

The thing that worries me about the smaller DL is that the NFL is allowing OLinemen to hold a lot. Holding has a bigger affect on the smaller, quicker DLinemen than on the bigger DL that can power through the holds. If a player like Dontari Poe gets matched up against and underpowered OLineman, it does not matter how much the OLineman holds him, he will just drive the guy straight back to the QB.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I do think that Nix is a very good player that can play in any scheme. They would need to analyze his mental-makeup to be certain that he is not inclined to gain weight. He would probably benefit from dropping a few pounds, especially if he is drafted by a 4-3 team.

The thing that worries me about the smaller DL is that the NFL is allowing OLinemen to hold a lot. Holding has a bigger affect on the smaller, quicker DLinemen than on the bigger DL that can power through the holds. If a player like Dontari Poe gets matched up against and underpowered OLineman, it does not matter how much the OLineman holds him, he will just drive the guy straight back to the QB.
Thats why teams generally dont want guys like donald and Sutton. Small arms. You get a DT with long arms he can fight off that block

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats why teams generally dont want guys like donald and Sutton. Small arms. You get a DT with long arms he can fight off that block

Yep, I posted a few times about Drake Nevis being limited due to short arms. He is a quicker player than Corvey Irvin and had a better college highlight reel, but his 31.5" arms seemed to be a big reason that he couldn't get off blocks if he didn't win with his 1st step; whereas, Irvin seemed to be better in that area thanks to his 34.75" arms.

Nevis keeps flashing to mind when I see these shorter draft prospects like Sutton and Donald. It will be interesting to see their arm length.