Bands that got better with line up changes

chagus

Reaction score
I didn't forget, but he was always kinda in and out of the lineup. Uli was definitely the better player over Jabs, I get a kick on watching "Sails of Charon" and Uli so cool and calmly just shredding away.....lol

That's why I kinda don't know how much it was about the lineup change and the band just kinda found their sound. Would they have gotten as big as they did if Uli had stayed? Possibly, probably?

I just discovered this tune last year and it BLEW ME AWAY!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I didn't forget, but he was always kinda in and out of the lineup. Uli was definitely the better player over Jabs, I get a kick on watching "Sails of Charon" and Uli so cool and calmly just shredding away.....lol

That's why I kinda don't know how much it was about the lineup change and the band just kinda found their sound. Would they have gotten as big as they did if Uli had stayed? Possibly, probably?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I don't know about that, very good question. I still think they would have been big just not as big commercially. My favorite albums are taken by force, love drive, animal magnetism and blackout

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't know about that, very good question. I still think they would have been big just not as big commercially. My favorite albums are taken by force, love drive, animal magnetism and blackout
Mine too, back to back to back to back, four great albums in a row, just cemented their place as legends!

I saw them on the Blackout Tour with Girls School and Iron Maiden as openers :yourock:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Mine too, back to back to back to back, four great albums in a row, just cemented their place as legends!

I saw them on the Blackout Tour with Girls School and Iron Maiden as openers :yourock:

Be that was awesome :thumbup::thumbup:Maiden had just released number of the beast, great setlists for both probably.

pete026

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be considered a band change by most? Maybe more of a progression.

But for me it was a change. My older brother turned me on to early Steely Dan. I then began to follow other music paths until my older sister exposed me to the album, Aja. My brother stubbornly refused to acknowledge their later music and my sister wasn't even familiar with the older stuff. Myself, having "owned" neither, was able to appreciate both.

Becker and Fagen are interesting characters.
Below is the story of Aja. Cameo appearance of Michael McDonald, mentioned earlier in this thread.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Foreigner

Kelly Hansen ( lead singer of Hurricane) is a fantastic Lou Gramm replacement.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I may get crucified for this but Heaven and Hell is the best Black Sabbath album.

Pantera was definitely better with Phil.

Ian Gillan and David Coverdale were both better than the original guy in Deep Purple.

And of course Metallica was way better without Dave.
Ronnie James Dio was much better than Ozzy that's for sure. Black Sabbath was never about Ozzy. It was about the members who actually played the instruments. This also depressed Ozzy in those days because he felt like an outcast at times. Because he really didn't contribute besides singing the vocals they wrote. He didn't write anything.

Pantera before Phil was a lame 80s hair metal band. Their whole sound changed for the better in the late 80s/early 90s.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Ronnie James Dio was much better than Ozzy that's for sure. Black Sabbath was never about Ozzy. It was about the members who actually played the instruments. This also depressed Ozzy in those days because he felt like an outcast at times. Because he really didn't contribute besides singing the vocals they wrote. He didn't write anything.

Pantera before Phil was a lame 80s hair metal band. Their whole sound changed for the better in the late 80s/early 90s.
Not sure if i would call their "Hair Metal " albums lame, they were actually some decent and pretty good moments especially on Power Metal. DD's solo on PST 88 is still a favorite. Even then guy was a monster player.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Better? Don’t know about that but different for sure but I liked the different versions of the bands.

Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Little Feat, Van Halen, Steely Dan and probably the most shape shifting of all, Poco, we’re great to me with every change.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
You guys are missing one of the most obvious ones ever: Mick Taylor replacing Brian Jones in the Stones. The Mick Taylor years were considered their peak.
Yes
No way is Brian Johnson's AC/DC better than Bon Scott's AC/DC.

Replacing a lead singer is no easy task and AC/DC succeeded greatly with Brian Johnson. Brian Johnson did a great job, but Bon Scott goes down as one of the greatest in R&R history. As they say in the Italian mafia, he's a made man.

RS12

Reaction score

Whoa whoa, now hold on a minute there

Hardline

Reaction score
The Misfits became a better band when Graves replaced Glenn Danzig.