Bands that got better with line up changes

pete026

Reaction score
Lynyrd Skynyrd. Although Ed King was no slouch on guitar, I believe his replacement, Steve Gaines was really going to raise the level of their music going forward. Unfortunately, it was never realized as Street Survivors was their only album produced with this lineup. Couple of songs Steve wrote for Street Survivors:

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
Van Halen had bigger selling hits with Sammy Hager.
I personally like David Lee Roth better though.

Another one of my favorite bands Nighwish really took off when they replaced Tarja Turenen with Floor Jansen.
I however perfered Tarja.

Big_D

Reaction score
The Beatles-The band prior to Ringo when still playing bars in Germany wasn't faring very well. Paul said the attendance and mood of those shows immediately shifted.

Rush- This is an obvious. Neil Peart, was as technical and precise as it gets.

As far as Van Hagar I thought there were many singers who could've been a better fit.. Heavy yacht rock in comparison to the DLR years. lol Jerry's listening to that 0U812 right now! :cool: Eddie's one of the greatest, but even the Gary Cherone years tells you the complete ensemble makes a huge difference and that ensemble went in a different "older and more mature" direction with Sammy, who is also very talented. I'm not knocking them, just wasn't a huge fan of the turn. That 70s VH was insanely different.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Van Halen had bigger selling hits with Sammy Hager.
I personally like David Lee Roth better though.

Another one of my favorite bands Nighwish really took off when they replaced Tarja Turenen with Floor Jansen.
I however perfered Tarja.
Actually the material with Sam charted higher, but the material with Dave has sold more copies. Huge fan of the band with Roth not so much with Sam

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The Beatles-The band prior to Ringo when still playing bars in Germany wasn't faring very well. Paul said the attendance and mood of those shows immediately shifted.

Rush- This is an obvious. Neil Peart, was as technical and precise as it gets.

As far as Van Hagar I thought there were many singers who could've been a better fit.. Heavy yacht rock in comparison to the DLR years. lol Jerry's listening to that 0U812 right now! :cool: Eddie's one of the greatest, but even the Gary Cherone years tells you the complete ensemble makes a huge difference and that ensemble went in a different "older and more mature" direction with Sammy, who is also very talented. I'm not knocking them, just wasn't a huge fan of the turn. That 70s VH was insanely different.
Exactly, with Roth the band was Las Vegas, when Sam joined they turned into Branson Missouri

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I may get crucified for this but Heaven and Hell is the best Black Sabbath album.

Pantera was definitely better with Phil.

Ian Gillan and David Coverdale were both better than the original guy in Deep Purple.

And of course Metallica was way better without Dave.

pete026

Reaction score
I may get crucified for this but Heaven and Hell is the best Black Sabbath album.
Sooner or later I knew the Ozzy/Dio change was gonna come up. But I prepared myself Lol.

I actually saw Black Sabbath, post-Ozzy at the Hartford Civic Center with Blue Oyster Cult. Black & Blue Sunday 1980. Great show but the original Black Sabbath early albums were pretty good!!!!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Pantera was definitely better with Phil.

Ian Gillan and David Coverdale were both better than the original guy in Deep Purple.

And of course Metallica was way better without Dave.

Agree with everything you posted except for the Ozzy vs Dio, on the fence about that. Heaven and Hell is great but so is Black Sabbath/Paranoid and Master of Reality.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Agree with everything you posted except for the Ozzy vs Dio, on the fence about that. Heaven and Hell is great but so is Black Sabbath/Paranoid and Master of Reality.
I love all Black Sabbath. Paranoid was one of the first albums I bought with my own money when I was a kid. I just really love Heaven and Hell.