Barmore invited to the draft

rambo2

Reaction score
He should stay at home. My prediction is that he goes between 22 and 42.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My issue with Barmore is this:

For the last 4 games of the season he looked like a guy that was well worth a top 15, if not 10, pick.

But the rest of the season...he looked no better than Dixon or McNeil.

I believe I read he had an ankle injury in the spring that could be the reason he didn’t his full stride until late. Or is he just inconsistent? If I felt sure that we would get the player from the last 4 games I would take Barmore at 10, just not sure how possible it is to feel confident in that.

The ankle injury is certainly a mysterious factor since we don't know the full effects of it on his game. A lot of players suffer injuries that slow them, but don't complain about it so fans never know the effect they had.

I think about Lawrence practically playing part of the season on one leg and fans getting mad because he wasn't producing at the rate they expected. Players get hurt and they played through it and we seem to believe it should have no effect on their play.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I mean, yeah a trade down wpuld be ideal but his comp is Chris Jones and Cowboy fans are turning up their nose. Its hilarious to me. Believing in ole Trysten Hill lol

Well, we're good about getting our eyes fixed on perceived value, even if we have no clue how players will turn out. Rankings are fun for creating draft scenarios and what ifs, but really that's all they are really worth.

Take us taking Lamb last year. Most of us were very excited to get a player ranked in the top 10 by many experts. We probably would not have been as excited if our team had selected Justin Jefferson instead, since he was ranked behind not only Lamb, but Jeudy and Ruggs as well. Reset those rankings after their rookies seasons, and Jefferson goes first.

Truth is, every year some players go higher than predicted and some lower, sometimes much lower. We might be talking in draft threads about taking a guy like Richie Grant in the second round and he might not go until the fourth, or he might be taken in the first. It's interesting to watch, especially to see if teams see what you see in a player and whether that player ends up meeting your expectations or falling short.

Those who say they've been right on the value of every player they've ever wanted Dallas to take are either lying or have a short memory. Yet, a lot come back year and year and pretend that they know which players should be taken at what point.

I want Barmore, but I don't know what the team thinks his value is and I don't know if he'll turn out to be what I think he can be. If the team takes him at 10 or 15 or 44, then I'll hope he is everything I believe he is. If not, then I'll hope that the team was right in passing up the opportunity.

rambo2

Reaction score
Well, we're good about getting our eyes fixed on perceived value, even if we have no clue how players will turn out. Rankings are fun for creating draft scenarios and what ifs, but really that's all they are really worth.

Take us taking Lamb last year. Most of us were very excited to get a player ranked in the top 10 by many experts. We probably would not have been as excited if our team had selected Justin Jefferson instead, since he was ranked behind not only Lamb, but Jeudy and Ruggs as well. Reset those rankings after their rookies seasons, and Jefferson goes first.

Truth is, every year some players go higher than predicted and some lower, sometimes much lower. We might be talking in draft threads about taking a guy like Richie Grant in the second round and he might not go until the fourth, or he might be taken in the first. It's interesting to watch, especially to see if teams see what you see in a player and whether that player ends up meeting your expectations or falling short.

Those who say they've been right on the value of every player they've ever wanted Dallas to take are either lying or have a short memory. Yet, a lot come back year and year and pretend that they know which players should be taken at what point.

I want Barmore, but I don't know what the team thinks his value is and I don't know if he'll turn out to be what I think he can be. If the team takes him at 10 or 15 or 44, then I'll hope he is everything I believe he is. If not, then I'll hope that the team was right in passing up the opportunity.
I'll take Lamb over Jefferson. and Grant will go between pick 30 and 45.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'll take Lamb over Jefferson. and Grant will go between pick 30 and 45.

So you believe and maybe that will be the case. But I'm sure you've always perfectly predicted when players will go.

rambo2

Reaction score
So you believe and maybe that will be the case. But I'm sure you've always perfectly predicted when players will go.
I'd bet a lot of money that Grant goes before the 3rd round.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'd bet a lot of money that Grant goes before the 3rd round.

I think it's a good bet, with a high probability of happening ... especially if we're talking about him going before the third round. I think between 30 and 45 is a good estimate, too, but you never know.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Based on how Lamb fits with Dallas and Dak. Lamb is a damn good player. If aint broken you don't fix it.

He is a fine player and we're lucky to have him. My point was that if scouts had known what we know now about Jefferson, he would have been a top 10 pick instead of the 22nd pick. So if Barmore goes 10 instead of 22nd, I don't think it should be written off as a bad move. Who are we to say that picking Surtain would be better just because some draft gurus have him rated as a top 10 pick? It might turn out that they are right, it might turn out they are wrong or both players may go on to great careers and it won't really matter.

The ratings are all over the board with Barmore, so I won't be surprised to see him taken anywhere from the top 10 to 50. If he's top 10, then teams see what I see when grading him. If he's 50, then either I've judged him wrong or it will be proven that teams did.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
He is a fine player and we're lucky to have him. My point was that if scouts had known what we know now about Jefferson, he would have been a top 10 pick instead of the 22nd pick. So if Barmore goes 10 instead of 22nd, I don't think it should be written off as a bad move. Who are we to say that picking Surtain would be better just because some draft gurus have him rated as a top 10 pick? It might turn out that they are right, it might turn out they are wrong or both players may go on to great careers and it won't really matter.

The ratings are all over the board with Barmore, so I won't be surprised to see him taken anywhere from the top 10 to 50. If he's top 10, then teams see what I see when grading him. If he's 50, then either I've judged him wrong or it will be proven that teams did.
Somebody gets it. Dudes on here have egos so big they think if a guy isnt in an experts top list its a bad pick. They trust them more than NFL guys. The logic is amazing

gimmesix

Reaction score
Somebody gets it. Dudes on here have egos so big they think if a guy isnt in an experts top list its a bad pick. They trust them more than NFL guys. The logic is amazing

Well, NFL guys do miss every year (see Taco Charlton). However, draft gurus miss more. They just throw so much stuff out there that they can bury their misses by focusing on their successes.

It's easier to focus on misses when your team only gets seven chances to get it right (or 10 in this year's case).

J12B

Reaction score
I know this has ended poorly in the past...but could also be a sign he’s going to be drafted a lot higher than we all think

I wouldn't mind a trade back to 17 or 18 and getting this guy.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
This is what scouts get paid for. If you think Barmore is that player that dominated over the last part of the season, then he’s definitely worth consideration at 10. All depends on how we view the player. But all this talk about him being ranked in the 40’s I think is crazy.

Gaede

Reaction score
The funny thing about this is Barmore actually performed on the highest level. Nobody cared about Kinlaw until senior bowl PRACTICES lol. But you have clueless dudes coming on here acting like they know what they're talking about when comparing the two. Id take a guy who dominated in the national championship games than all star practice.

Not to nitpick, but this board had a raging ****** for Kinlaw for a long time before the Senior Bowl. Basically, every top DT in the past 10 years has been a favorite of this board. It's actually super annoying; if there's a DT, ppl here for clamor for them against all odds

visionary

Reaction score
I’d have no problem with Barmore at 10 and Phillips at 44 (as long as his medicals check out) McNeill with 3a and McGrone with 3b

you’ve hugely upgraded your defense

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

"If scouts had hindsight..." lmao

Also, no, CD is still a better prospect than Jefferson.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I remember thinking the cowboys reached for Travis Frederick and thinking “yeah he is a good player but they took him too soon”

Then Frederick plays like an all pro and nobody gives a crap where the cowboys drafted him.

I learned that lesson the hard way.