Barry Switzer shuts down Lincoln Riley to Cowboys noise

Hardline

Reaction score
We share a board with people who think winning a college football national championship is bigger than winning the Super Bowl.

I don't care how long you've been here. You'll never read anything dumber than that.
You don't know football other than what you see in the NFL.
I would love to see the Cowboys win a Super Bowl every year but If your favorite college team never won a national championship you don't know the excitement of it .

noletime95

Reaction score
If those many of the very best college coaches (minor leagues) have no desire to coach in the pros than they have no desire to reach the top of their profession. They are content at a lower level. I never said these people didn't exist. They just don't prioritize being the best at coaching football.

College is the minors. It's an inferior brand of football. A feeder system for the NFL. Where the best coach and play. There is no disagreeing with that.
It’s a job and many college coaches are millionaires. Dabo Sweeney would be awful in the NFL yet he’s a great college coach. The job descriptions are largely different too. Boosters, fund raising, dealing with college kids.

There are many successful nfl coaches that would not hack it in college also. Honestly I’m surprised you see it this way. I’m surprised anyone would.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If those many of the very best college coaches (minor leagues) have no desire to coach in the pros than they have no desire to reach the top of their profession. They are content at a lower level. I never said these people didn't exist. They just don't prioritize being the best at coaching football.

College is the minors. It's an inferior brand of football. A feeder system for the NFL. Where the best coach and play. There is no disagreeing with that.

I agree that the NFL is the pinnacle.

I do think it should be said that there is nothing wrong with college coaches being happy where they are at, and staying there if they so choose.

But I do think the best of the best do typically strive to at least try for an NFL job to prove they can win at any level.

Sammy

Reaction score
From what I understand, college HCs basically work year round while NFL coaches get several months off. True?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Riley's contract pay him 6M per through 2023 then 6.6M in 2024.

Garrett's on the last year of a contract that pays him 6M per.

Recap:
Riley contract, signed 2019, 6M per.

Garrett contract, signed 2015, 6M per.

With both at 6M per, Garrett's contract was more per year relatively speaking because it was signed in 2015 vs 2019 for Riley.

Calculation for Inflation:
The NFL salary cap tracks NFL revenue growth and therefore is a good way to look at the NFL inflation rate.

Garrett's 6M per season was 4.19 percent of the 2015 salary cap.

A 2020 contract at 4.19 percent of the projected 2020 salary cap would be 8.375M.

Summary:
Switzer is talking out of his backside.

Switzer still does a lot of commercials and whatnot in Oklahoma.

Switzer likes to say what OU fans want to hear.

Disclaimer:
Having said the above, I don't know of any definite interest from the Cowboys with regards to Riley.

The Cowboys need a combination of Football Genius AND Over-Bearing Personality for their Head Coach.

It's not just Jerry as owner that makes an Over-Bearing personality necessary, but the Cowboys media/fan scrutiny is different than anything else in football.

Football Genius: Riley (OU), McVay (Rams), etc..

Over-Bearing Personality (&Genius): Belichick, Jimmy, Parcells, etc..

2020 Coaches with both Football Genius AND Over-Bearing Personality:
Belichick
?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I agree that the NFL is the pinnacle.

I do think it should be said that there is nothing wrong with college coaches being happy where they are at, and staying there if they so choose.

But I do think the best of the best do typically strive to at least try for an NFL job to prove they can win at any level.
Some of the best college coaches become a full part of the university family. Think Krzyzewski , Tom Izzo, Tom Osborn and Dean Smith back in day, etc.
There may be one modern day NFL coach that has done that—Belichick

The whole idea to be able to possibly shape 19 years lives a bit anf to be a part of the university community.
Just a different life choice.

Of course the pro players are better.
Thats not debatable obviously.

But a star player on your pro team could be playing for your rival the next year (especially in basketball and baseball, but some in football too).
Just different.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Do we really have to have this conversation every year?

If a football coach wants to reach the pinnacle of his profession he has to do it in the NFL. Period. There is no rebuttal to that. College is the minor leagues. If you're content in the minors, have fun but it speaks volumes about you.
Not of you are on Oklahoma homer. If you are an Oklahoma homer, then OU football is the absolute pinnacle

Hardline

Reaction score
Riley's contract pay him 6M per through 2023 then 6.6M in 2024.

Garrett's on the last year of a contract that pays him 6M per.

Recap:
Riley contract, signed 2019, 6M per.

Garrett contract, signed 2015, 6M per.

With both at 6M per, Garrett's contract was more per year relatively speaking because it was signed in 2015 vs 2019 for Riley.

Calculation for Inflation:
The NFL salary cap tracks NFL revenue growth and therefore is a good way to look at the NFL inflation rate.

Garrett's 6M per season was 4.19 percent of the 2015 salary cap.

A 2020 contract at 4.19 percent of the projected 2020 salary cap would be 8.375M.

Summary:
Switzer is talking out of his backside.

Switzer still does a lot of commercials and whatnot in Oklahoma.

Switzer likes to say what OU fans want to hear.

Disclaimer:
Having said the above, I don't know of any definite interest from the Cowboys with regards to Riley.

The Cowboys need a combination of Football Genius AND Over-Bearing Personality for their Head Coach.

It's not just Jerry as owner that makes an Over-Bearing personality necessary, but the Cowboys media/fan scrutiny is different than anything else in football.

Football Genius: Riley (OU), McVay (Rams), etc..

Over-Bearing Personality (&Genius): Belichick, Jimmy, Parcells, etc..

2020 Coaches with both Football Genius AND Over-Bearing Personality:
Belichick
?
Good post other than Switzer talking out his backside. Everything he said is valid .

DFWJC

Reaction score
Most (not all) sports fans that don't appreciate college football or basketball didn't graduate from a college that had great teams.

Im sure there are exceptions, but over the years, I’ve found that to be the case

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
My guess is that college football players will soon be paid which will change everything about the game and how the college coaches recruit and compete for players.
Pretty soon college coaches are going to have to do a lot more than just recruit players (and pay under the table) and the talent differences between the teams will narrow if the NCAA goes with a salary cap like structure.
Right now, coaching in college is better than the pros if you are at Alabama, Clemson, OSU, OK, etc. where the pay is equal or better.

cern

Reaction score
Riley and Garrett are paid similarly. Riley is praised, Garrett is vilified. Riley goes to sleep at night not worrying about whether or not he has a job the next day. Garrett has no such luxury. Riley's not leaving ou.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score

If a football coach wants to reach the pinnacle of his profession he has to do it in the NFL. Period. There is no rebuttal to that. College is the minor leagues. If you're content in the minors, have fun but it speaks volumes about you.
Exactly. The Dallas Cowboys head coaching job is the premier coaching position in the sport of football. Despite having to deal with the Joneses, no coach would turn it down. Heck even Bill Parcells took the job.

aria

Reaction score

But who’s to say that’s what every coach wants? Maybe some of these high profile, winning college coaches enjoy making more money, having more perks and have more control over their team then they would as an NFL coach. If I were Riley I personally would stay put. Maybe, maybe if Jerry gave me full reign of the team, meaning I got to be the GM as well (a la Bill Bellichick) then I would consider it.

aria

Reaction score
Exactly. The Dallas Cowboys head coaching job is the premier coaching position in the sport of football. Despite having to deal with the Joneses, no coach would turn it down. Heck even Bill Parcells took the job.
:lmao:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But who’s to say that’s what every coach wants? Maybe some of these high profile, winning college coaches enjoy making more money, having more perks and have more control over their team then they would as an NFL coach. If I were Riley I personally would stay put. Maybe, maybe if Jerry gave me full reign of the team, meaning I got to be the GM as well (a la Bill Bellichick) then I would consider it.

Nobody said it's not what some prefer. I said if they have the desire to reach the top of their profession and coach with and against the best they have to do it in the NFL. That can't be accomplished in college.

Verdict

Reaction score

While that’s true in terms of the stage, it’s not necessarily true in terms of stability and compensation.