Barry Talks About Similarities/Differences To Emmitt

Thomas82

Reaction score
Barry Sanders was on the K&C Masterpiece show this past Tuesday and talked about some similarities and differences with Emmitt Smith. They even introduced Barry as the "greatest running back of all-time". Here are the quotes from Barry that stood out to me:

"“We were different in that I probably could have used a few more Nate Newtons in front of me, or [Mark Stepnoski]. You know, or Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin. But, no — I think we’re both kind of shifty in our own way."

"Emmitt was probably a little more patient as a runner. It’s funny because I was hearing about Emmitt Smith when I was in high school. He was highly touted, one of the nation’s top players. So, it was just cool for me to end up being his nemesis, or adversary, or thought of as the top running back in the league along with him. But I think there are a lot of (similarities between us), being that kind of slippery, elusive guy, that can hit a home run from anywhere on the field.”

Here's a link to the article(s) these quotes came from:
https://insidethestar.com/barry-san...es-differences-in-comparison-to-emmitt-smith/
https://www.radio.com/1053thefan/sp...areer-compares-and-differs-with-emmitt-smiths

Here's the YouTube video of the segment:

Big D

Reaction score
Emmitt was the smarter of the two. He knew when and how to cut losses. He got the hard yard. He was never taken off the field in a goalline situation for fear of losing yardage. I Take nothing from Barry who was spectacular in his own right but I'd take 22 over him everytime.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Emmitt was the smarter of the two. He knew when and how to cut losses. He got the hard yard. He was never taken off the field in a goalline situation for fear of losing yardage. I Take nothing from Barry who was spectacular in his own right but I'd take 22 over him everytime.

Not to mention the fact that Emmitt was a ferocious blocker. With all the blocking he did, Emmitt got hit on every play, whether he was getting the ball or not.

cowboyec

Reaction score
walter payton
tony dorsett
eric dickerson
emmitt smith

the 4 greatest running backs of my fandom...in chronological order.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll say one thing for Sanders, he was by far the most exciting RB in NFL history. He also had more defenders on his side of the los than any back I ever saw. Most DC's feared his ability to hit that crease and go that they just shot the gaps to get him to lose ground until more troops could arrive. And he cooperated but every now and then, wowsers, how'd he do that??

I tell ya one thing, if you played fantasy ball back then, before the yardage and everything else was factored in, Sanders was the worst RB to have. He'd make a 90 yard run, go out on the 2 yard line and here comes Touchdown Tommy Vardell. I rode the E Man to back to back SB's and had him the year he set the record with 25 TD's.

In the complete back arena, no contest, Emmitt was the 2nd best I ever saw play, behind Payton. I think it was that reason that Booger was drawn to Elliott, he was the 2nd coming of Emmitt as far as a complete back was concerned.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
They’d be wrong. The people that think Sanders was better is simply because he was a “prettier” runner. He made more spectacular runs, but he was not better.

Sanders had so many splash plays that show up on the highlights with 26 rushing tds over 30 yards while Emmitt had 12 of those. Meanwhile Emmitt grinded out so many more of those tough inside the 10 red zone tds. They were different types of players, Sanders was more flash, while Emmitt was the dependable workhorse that gets you the tough yards between the tackles.

Many people like flashy things so watching 14 more long rushing tds on a highlight film probably sways the casual fans mind. That doesn't mean they're the better all around football player though.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sanders had so many splash plays that show up on the highlights with 26 rushing tds over 30 yards while Emmitt had 12 of those. Meanwhile Emmitt grinded out so many more of those tough inside the 10 red zone tds. They were different types of players, Sanders was more flash, while Emmitt was the dependable workhorse that gets you the tough yards between the tackles.

Many people like flashy things so watching 14 more long rushing tds on a highlight film probably sways the casual fans mind. That doesn't mean they're the better all around football player though.
I liked watching Sanders and would watch them play just because of him. It wasn't the long TD runs is was those plays where he'd water bug all over the backfield for 40 yards and gain 2. It was just the most unusual running style I had ever seen and many is the All Pro defender that he left grabbing air.

Sanders is right, Emmitt was far more patient and his OL loved him for helping them set up blocks. That was what he and Dorsett shared, they were two of the best ever in setting up blocks and it was a thing of beauty to watch. Just great vision.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to keep Brown off of any top 5 list. Maybe he was a product of an era that had smaller dlinemen and lbs than him, but there hasn't been a player that has dominated their era more.
While that's true, I've never seen a player that teams were set up to stop and that failed more than against him.