Barry Talks About Similarities/Differences To Emmitt

blueblood70

Reaction score
theres no true comps except they were both great at what they did best..

its lie trying to comp kamara/Cmac vs EE its not the same they are compete different types of backs, all are great just IN their own way/style..

EE and Emmitt are very much alike. Similar build, running style and volume backs beefed up to handle a true load and they can move but not like Barry or wiggle style backs..

why does there need to be comps? in any era there are more then one elite/Great back or skill player, all great in their own way..

barry was awesome to watch , exciting always twitching spinning and moving.. ES ad EE can tend to be so normal and mundane people take that for granted..

I can appreciate both..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
theres no true comps except they were both great at what they did best..

its lie trying to comp kamara/Cmac vs EE its not the same they are compete different types of backs, all are great just IN their own way/style..

EE and Emmitt are very much alike. Similar build, running style and volume backs beefed up to handle a true load and they can move but not like Barry or wiggle style backs..

why does there need to be comps? in any era there are more then one elite/Great back or skill player, all great in their own way..

barry was awesome to watch , exciting always twitching spinning and moving.. ES ad EE can tend to be so normal and mundane people take that for granted..

I can appreciate both..

I dunno about the running style.. Zeke seeks out contact far more than Emmitt ever did. But I agree both share the ability to make people miss without drastic movement. That efficiency is the main thing they have in common and the main reason why most fans underappreciate them both. But Zeke is bigger and faster.. Yes Barry was exciting as hell to watch.. unless you were a fan of the Lions and wanted your team to win. I imagine a lot of Lions fans were pretty aggravated every time he left them in 2nd and 15 after dancing around so much. But I get it.. people like highlights.. I prefer winning..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I dunno about the running style.. Zeke seeks out contact far more than Emmitt ever did. But I agree both share the ability to make people miss without drastic movement. That efficiency is the main thing they have in common and the main reason why most fans underappreciate them both. But Zeke is bigger and faster.. Yes Barry was exciting as hell to watch.. unless you were a fan of the Lions and wanted your team to win. I imagine a lot of Lions fans were pretty aggravated every time he left them in 2nd and 15 after dancing around so much. But I get it.. people like highlights.. I prefer winning..
i know they arent the same height but both close to same playing weight in the nfl..ES was 221 Zeke 225 yes zekes 3 inches taller but really that very close and whatever athletics speed advantage Zekes had coming-out of college is now gone with his NFL weight so they are very close comp..i get ES learned to go out of bounds or fall more but EE is learning that..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That's right, none of his backups could really produce when he was out.

Those two plus years they had Chris Warren he did okay when Emmitt was out with the broken hand.. But Warren was a legit starting back in his own right. He did a nice job as a one-two punch with Emmitt in '98 to '00. Amazing that he and Emmitt were in the same draft class. In fact a couple of guys from that draft class spent time as Emmitt's backup.. Warren in '98 -'00, Blair Thomas in '94.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
People have been getting carried away with the whole "Emmitt was slow" narrative. We know Emmitt didn't run at the combine and never really trained for speed the way guys do now. Yet he was clocked at 4.52 at his pro day at Florida.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1990-03-17-9001290858-story.html

It would have been the 7th fastest RB at the 2020 Combine..
It would have tied for 9th fastest at the 2019 Combine (he would have tied with Tony Pollard by the way)
It would have tied for 6th at the 2018 Combine

So despite being "too slow" Emmitt would have been among the top 10 fastest backs at the combine the last three years.. And again, this is as compared to guys who train for months to run fast.. something Emmitt never did.. Emmitt worked on being a great football player.. He never put much stock in being a track man. He could have been pretty good if only he had worked on his speed.. right?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
People have been getting carried away with the whole "Emmitt was slow" narrative. We know Emmitt didn't run at the combine and never really trained for speed the way guys do now. Yet he was clocked at 4.52 at his pro day at Florida.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1990-03-17-9001290858-story.html

It would have been the 7th fastest RB at the 2020 Combine..
It would have tied for 9th fastest at the 2019 Combine (he would have tied with Tony Pollard by the way)
It would have tied for 6th at the 2018 Combine

So despite being "too slow" Emmitt would have been among the top 10 fastest backs at the combine the last three years.. And again, this is as compared to guys who train for months to run fast.. something Emmitt never did.. Emmitt worked on being a great football player.. He never put much stock in being a track man. He could have been pretty good if only he had worked on his speed.. right?

Agree, like Jerry Rice don't remember ES getting caught from behide that often. Heck TD was only caught from behide once, I can remember and that was by Darryl Green who ran track in college. Still remember in the early 80's at Texas A&I Greene running and winning the 200 meters on TV, may have been late 70's on ABC Wide World of Sports back in the day.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Agree, like Jerry Rice don't remember ES getting caught from behide that often. Heck TD was only caught from behide once, I can remember and that was by Darryl Green who ran track in college. Still remember in the early 80's at Texas A&I Greene running and winning the 200 meters on TV, may have been late 70's on ABC Wide World of Sports back in the day.

Rice was a little different case than Emmitt because he was a long graceful strider. I don't think he was all that explosive in a short sprint but I suspect he would have been a killer 200 or 400 meter runner had he chosen that path. Once he got up to top speed I think he was going as fast as anybody. That's why he was rarely caught from behind and those long, fluid strides made his speed impossible to judge so I think defenders misjudged how fast he was moving time and again. Darryl Green was one of the 10 fastest people ever to play in the NFL. He was one of those guys who translated his track speed to the football field seamlessly. He could run down a lot of people! I do remember though a Monday night game between the Commanders and Raiders when Ron Brown (an other Olympic sprinter) took a kickoff he distance and when Green gave chase down the sideline he was not able to gain an inch. But that was Olympic speed vs Olympic speed. All the other instances were Olympic speed vs mere mortal. Even Tony D. was no match for that kind of jets.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Those two plus years they had Chris Warren he did okay when Emmitt was out with the broken hand.. But Warren was a legit starting back in his own right. He did a nice job as a one-two punch with Emmitt in '98 to '00. Amazing that he and Emmitt were in the same draft class. In fact a couple of guys from that draft class spent time as Emmitt's backup.. Warren in '98 -'00, Blair Thomas in '94.

These are all facts. But between 1991-95, with the exception of '94, Emmitt averaged at least a full yard per carry more than his top backup.