Base guaranteed salary for UDFAs

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry spearheaded the induction of the salary cap. Let him wallow in failure from it until he dies. No Cowboys player should take a dime less for that buffoon.
I hear you, bro, but it doesn't help the team in any way overpaying certain players while still having to deal with a salary cap. The salary cap is never going to go away, so either balance your players' pay or overpay a handful of them while not being able to retain a playoffs-capable balanced team.

I would rather be able to be constantly in the playoffs, than see a handful of players get way overpaid. It's that simple.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A few things.

Cowboys did not get those rings because of no salary cap. It wasn’t like the Cowboys were the only team who had to face no cap. Everyone has to go through it. Cowboys made great trades and draft selections.

He also hasn’t failed for 27 years because of overpaying. He’s failed because of piss poor coaching hires. He gave Garrett 10 years. Had nothing to do with overpaying. That’s odd you think that.
You're seriously kidding yourself if overpaying a handful of players who take up for half of your cap space will not affect your ability to retain a playoffs capable team. Obviously, you have not learned from the past 27 seasons. It's the biggest problem which has affected this team. A salary cap will forever be in play, and it must be respected and adhered to. Failure to do so will affect your ability to build or maintain a playoffs quality team. The key is to make the playoffs and let the chips fall once in there, not use half of your cap space on a handful of players while not being able to retain a playoffs talented team.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

UDFA's 'peanuts' would equal 'caviar' to most people outside the NFL.
Even if these guys don't eventually make the active roster, coming out of school and immediately making 100-150K+ for a year or 2 aint bad at all. Probably more significant long-term, some of the relationships they are in position to make now could catapult their eventual careers whatever they decide to do.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
QB, DE, LT and RB are 4 key positions highly overpaid. Those 4 positions being overpaid will eat up half of your salary cap. That's not including WR and other positions of need.
its all market driven. everyone has 53 players. everyone fits under the cap. every year some team wins the superbowl.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You're seriously kidding yourself if overpaying a handful of players who take up for half of your cap space will not affect your ability to retain a playoffs capable team. Obviously, you have not learned from the past 27 seasons. It's the biggest problem which has affected this team. A salary cap will forever be in play, and it must be respected and adhered to. Failure to do so will affect your ability to build or maintain a playoffs quality team. The key is to make the playoffs and let the chips fall once in there, not use half of your cap space on a handful of players while not being able to retain a playoffs talented team.
what you describe is the exact reason NFL put in salary cap, to create parity and avoid dynasties like niners and cowboys in the 80s and 90s. the cowboys were so deep, they provided the league with starters for several years. so the salary cap is working to create that parity, so a few teams can't hoard talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Every SB champion has a team full of overpriced players. You’ve convinced yourself this is why we haven’t won anything but I’m telling you right now you had no chance in hell of winning a SB with Quincy Carter or Drew Henson. I can’t speak on what happened 50 years ago but the Campo years are my heyday and I remember them well. We sucked. Sucked at everything.

Verdict

Reaction score
So Dak is owed roughly $60 million next year in 2024. You're willing to pay $60 million? Where are you going to have the money leftover to give new contracts to CeeDee, Diggs, Micah, LVE, Pollard, etc?
I don’t expect Pollard to “get paid”. I think he is one and done.

Verdict

Reaction score
Rams are finding this out, first hand.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
If the players made less ticket prices wouldn't be so high. The single biggest factor in ticket prices is player salary.
Do you have data to support that claim? It strikes me as implausible. The league isn’t really driven by gate revenue as much as by TV contract revenue. That’s what drives the size of the cap and, ultimately, the size of the contracts.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Every SB champion has a team full of overpriced players. You’ve convinced yourself this is why we haven’t won anything but I’m telling you right now you had no chance in hell of winning a SB with Quincy Carter or Drew Henson. I can’t speak on what happened 50 years ago but the Campo years are my heyday and I remember them well. We sucked. Sucked at everything.
So you bring up Quincy Carter and Drew Henson while falsely attributing them to me? Is that all you've got to attack me, even though I've never mentioned or liked them, since you've got nothing else to support to keep overpaying for a QB? That's seriously stretching and smells of pure desperation.

Like @Verdict mentioned...Look at the Rams this past year and going forward. Rams are finding out the hard way the cost of destroying your team's chances of affording to keep a playoffs capable team intact when you overpay a handful of players starting with your QB. Sounds like that is what you prefer for the Cowboys.
:facepalm:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So you bring up Quincy Carter and Drew Henson while falsely attributing them to me? Is that all you've got to attack me, even though I've never mentioned or liked them, since you've got nothing else to support to keep overpaying for a QB? That's seriously stretching and smells of pure desperation.

Like @Verdict mentioned...Look at the Rams this past year and going forward. Rams are finding out the hard way the cost of destroying your team's chances of affording to keep a playoffs capable team intact when you overpay a handful of players starting with your QB. Sounds like that is what you prefer for the Cowboys.
:facepalm:
Rams won a SB lol. I haven't seen a SB in my adult years. I didn't even see a SB in middle school. Barely elementary and I don't remember it. .So if you're telling me your fear is being the Rams? I Just don't have it.

A few things though....

I didn't bring up QC and Henson to attribute that to you. I'm attributing those names to why we sucked. I could've listed Leaf, Hutchinson, Stoerner, Wright, Bledsoe but I figured I got my point across with those two names.

No one is "attacking you". You guys do this all the time. If I disagree with you you claim its an attack lol. I don't understand or maybe I do. I don't know.

I'm not supporting overpaying the QB. I just disagree that overpaying QB is why this team or any team has sucked.

You know what did the Rams in? Trading all their 1st round picks since 2016. That's why they are in a mess now. Foolishly giving Allen Robinson that contract.

30% of their cap is dedicated to Allen Robinson, Jalen RAmsey, Leonard Floyd and Boby Wagner.

They've mismanaged their cap, mismanaged their team, and mismanaged their draft picks. Now they are in rebuild with no youth.

This is the crap the Cowboys have done in the past. Trade for Joey Galloway, trade for Roy Williams....trade up for Mo Claibonre......its no different.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Rams won a SB lol. I haven't seen a SB in my adult years. I didn't even see a SB in middle school. Barely elementary and I don't remember it. .So if you're telling me your fear is being the Rams? I Just don't have it.

A few things though....

I didn't bring up QC and Henson to attribute that to you. I'm attributing those names to why we sucked. I could've listed Leaf, Hutchinson, Stoerner, Wright, Bledsoe but I figured I got my point across with those two names.

No one is "attacking you". You guys do this all the time. If I disagree with you you claim its an attack lol. I don't understand or maybe I do. I don't know.

I'm not supporting overpaying the QB. I just disagree that overpaying QB is why this team or any team has sucked.

You know what did the Rams in? Trading all their 1st round picks since 2016. That's why they are in a mess now. Foolishly giving Allen Robinson that contract.

30% of their cap is dedicated to Allen Robinson, Jalen RAmsey, Leonard Floyd and Boby Wagner.

They've mismanaged their cap, mismanaged their team, and mismanaged their draft picks. Now they are in rebuild with no youth.

This is the crap the Cowboys have done in the past. Trade for Joey Galloway, trade for Roy Williams....trade up for Mo Claibonre......its no different.
You're being totally hypocritical in your very same statement. You're advocating for overspending for a QB and a handful of key players in order to see at least 1 SB championship in your lifetime, while at the same time you are correctly bringing up how it's now direly affecting the Rams. That's the problem. You can't have it both ways. The key is to manage your financial piece of the pie for the whole team. You can't do that if you're going to keep overpaying players, starting with your QB.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Im confused about why we only have 13 UDFA and last year we had 20, I think it was...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're being totally hypocritical in your very same statement. You're advocating for overspending for a QB and a handful of key players in order to see at least 1 SB championship in your lifetime, while at the same time you are correctly bringing up how it's now direly affecting the Rams. That's the problem. You can't have it both ways. The key is to manage your financial piece of the pie for the whole team. You can't do that if you're going to keep overpaying players, starting with your QB.
I addressed that. I told you the Rams issues are not having any first rounders since 2016. They've foolishly traded their youth and draft picks and are in a mess now. I never advocate doing that. You can manipulate the salary cap. You can do a lot of things but you can't trade 7 years of 1st rounders and have high salaries and not feel it at some point.

The objective is to win a ring. Rams did that. I can sit here and complain about how they did and how I wouldn't do it but it worked. Nobody here should be looking down on the Rams for selling it all for 1 ring. That's the goal.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'd say that the team is in pretty good shape this season. What do you think?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I addressed that. I told you the Rams issues are not having any first rounders since 2016. They've foolishly traded their youth and draft picks and are in a mess now. I never advocate doing that. You can manipulate the salary cap. You can do a lot of things but you can't trade 7 years of 1st rounders and have high salaries and not feel it at some point.

The objective is to win a ring. Rams did that. I can sit here and complain about how they did and how I wouldn't do it but it worked. Nobody here should be looking down on the Rams for selling it all for 1 ring. That's the goal.
Sorry, I disagree. You don't throw the future away just to please the masses for one chance to truly reach a SB. I would rather balance the payroll while being able to keep the playoff team intact and be in the playoffs every year, thus improving your chances to reach a SB, two or three. Some of you guys are so desperate, you've forgotten how it affects and destroys teams in the immediate long run.