THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on all we know, would Dak be a first round pick
ddff775cd8ebfcb444b39d88c1d172086d63c607_hq.gif

garyo1954

Reaction score
Kirk Cousin wouldn't have gone No. 1 overall.
Daniel Jones wouldn't have.
Carson Wentz wouldn't have.
Jared Goff wouldn't have.
Jameis Winston ...
Marcus Mariota ...

There's no doubt Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers would have gone No. 1 in their class as would Patrick Mahomes. But they are the elite of the elite. I don't think it's the same with those quarterbacks who aren't considered the elite of the elite.

Dak is considered good. But not widely considered among the Bradys, Rodgers and Mahomeses. That's why I asked this question.

Any of us can name 50 players who wouldn't be number one in hindsight. That doesn't mean just because you name one, its something special.
There's always, always a number one on any list you make.

If we redrew the entire last 50 drafts 50 times you can be sure 99.9% it wouldn't be the same. A few picks might be the same, but not the entire draft.
And people sit around and redo drafts every fricking year, but it never changes one iota of what happened.

But to be sure: Somebody will always be number 1 in every NFL draft. That's a no brainer.

JBS

Reaction score
What’s wrong with the thread. He’s asking if they held the 2016 draft again. Where would Dak go?

the answer is #1 overall.

It’s a good bar room discussion topic. To be honest.

this isn’t the question. your answer proved my point entirely. the thread asks if Dak would be a first round pick. You said he would be #1.

if I opened a thread before last years draft and asked the board if T. Lawrence would be a first round pick - do you think that would be a good topic to discuss? I would imagine I would get destroyed, and rightfully so.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
You look at that first round, it really sucked. Jalen Ramsey is likely the first pick off the boards with, maybe, Joey Bosa (although he's been injured much of his career), and then possibly Dak.
You are wrong, dude. Dak goes #1 overall without a doubt. Even if SOMEHOW he didn't, he goes to the Eagles at the second pick.

The first two picks in 2016 were the Rams and the Eagles. BOTH needed QBs. Neither needed a CB or DE particularly badly.

Los Angeles Rams
Top 5 needs: QB, WR, C, S, CB

Philadelphia Eagles
Top 5 needs: RB, OG, OT, pass rush, WR
(I think that this is odd as their 2015 QBs were Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez)

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kirk Cousin wouldn't have gone No. 1 overall.
Daniel Jones wouldn't have.
Carson Wentz wouldn't have.
Jared Goff wouldn't have.
Jameis Winston ...
Marcus Mariota ...

There's no doubt Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers would have gone No. 1 in their class as would Patrick Mahomes. But they are the elite of the elite. I don't think it's the same with those quarterbacks who aren't considered the elite of the elite.

Dak is considered good. But not widely considered among the Bradys, Rodgers and Mahomeses. That's why I asked this question.
Kirk Cousins wouldn't have gone #1 overall because Russell Wilson would have. He'd be top 5 though. Tannehill and Luck would be high first-rounders still. They might go 1-4.

Every one of those other guys either failed at their first stop or are in the process of failing (Jones, who wasn't regarded very highly to begin with). Dak isn't comparable to any of them.

Last edited:

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Yes. If all 32 current starting QB's were all drafted this year, Dak would definitely be top 10.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are wrong, dude. Dak goes #1 overall without a doubt. Even if SOMEHOW he didn't, he goes to the Eagles at the second pick.

The first two picks in 2016 were the Rams and the Eagles. BOTH needed QBs. Neither needed a CB or DE particularly badly.

Los Angeles Rams

Philadelphia Eagles
The Rams and Eagles went 1-2 because they traded up specifically to get the available QBs. The real question is would those trades have happened.

Tennessee had just picked Mariota at #2 the year before. Knowing what they know now, I would guess they stay at #1 and draft Dak. The Browns traded out despite having nothing at QB, so maybe they trade out of #2 anyway.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
The Rams and Eagles went 1-2 because they traded up specifically to get the available QBs. The real question is would those trades have happened.

Tennessee had just picked Mariota at #2 the year before. Knowing what they know now, I would guess they stay at #1 and draft Dak. The Browns traded out despite having nothing at QB, so maybe they trade out of #2 anyway.
That's a good point. The question then is: Would the Titans still trade out? I would expect that the answer is a begrudging yes. They still get Derrick Henry and they are happy with the way QB has worked out with Tannehill. So the Rams would still get the #1 overall and Dak goes to them.

Theoretically, of course. LOL

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Any of us can name 50 players who wouldn't be number one in hindsight. That doesn't mean just because you name one, its something special.
There's always, always a number one on any list you make.

If we redrew the entire last 50 drafts 50 times you can be sure 99.9% it wouldn't be the same. A few picks might be the same, but not the entire draft.
And people sit around and redo drafts every fricking year, but it never changes one iota of what happened.

But to be sure: Somebody will always be number 1 in every NFL draft. That's a no brainer.

Sigh. This is a simple exercise.
If Dak was on the level of Mahomes, this would be a no brainer. He would go No. 1 overall.
He is not on Mahomes' level. But ... he is a good quarterback.
So I - trying to stir conversation - ask posters where would he rank in a draft redo, given everything we know.
Some posters still think he'd go No. 1 overall. Fine.
Some don't. Fine.
I'm just looking for opinions. Not interested in a full-blown debate over the merits of anyone's selection or the merits of the "worthiness" of this thread.

Thank you.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Los Angeles Rams

Philadelphia Eagles

:laugh:I can't be wrong on a purely hypothetical situation that is beyond us ever knowing.
With that said, I appreciate your opinion and your contribution to this thread. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins wouldn't have gone #1 overall because Russell Wilson would have. He'd be top 5 though. Tannehill and Luck would be high first-rounders still. They might go 1-4.

Every one of those other guys either failed at their first stop or are in the process of failing (Jones, who wasn't regarded very highly to begin with). Dak isn't comparable to any of them.

So Kirk Cousin goes over Fletcher Cox, Ryan Tannehill, Luke Kuechly, Stephon Gilmore, Chandler Jones, Bobby Wagner? I don't think so.

Second, it doesn't matter if they failed at their first stop. The point is based on where they are today. If we evaluated Drew Brees when he ripped up his shoulder, there would be one assessment of him. If we evaluated him based on the end of his career, we'd have another.

Again, the point of the thread is based on where Dak is TODAY, not in 2016 or 2018, but TODAY. But there are many components involved in where he would go, including the strength of his draft class, position need, etc. It's not as simple as it seems, which is why I posed this question.

HungryLion

Reaction score
this isn’t the question. your answer proved my point entirely. the thread asks if Dak would be a first round pick. You said he would be #1.

if I opened a thread before last years draft and asked the board if T. Lawrence would be a first round pick - do you think that would be a good topic to discuss? I would imagine I would get destroyed, and rightfully so.

Yeah the first round pick part is too obvious. For sure.

asking about exact draft slot can be a fun exercise though.

erod

Reaction score
Here's the acid test.

List the teams from best to worst last season. Then have a draft of quarterbacks for each team.

How long until Dak got drafted?

garyo1954

Reaction score
Sigh. This is a simple exercise.
If Dak was on the level of Mahomes, this would be a no brainer. He would go No. 1 overall.
He is not on Mahomes' level. But ... he is a good quarterback.
So I - trying to stir conversation - ask posters where would he rank in a draft redo, given everything we know.
Some posters still think he'd go No. 1 overall. Fine.
Some don't. Fine.
I'm just looking for opinions. Not interested in a full-blown debate over the merits of anyone's selection or the merits of the "worthiness" of this thread.

Thank you.

Yes, its a no brainer. The article makes it clear.
Back to first point: Redo any draft you want and things would change.

My opinion is: 2016 is over. Makes no difference what fantasy could happen, it didn't.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a good point. The question then is: Would the Titans still trade out? I would expect that the answer is a begrudging yes. They still get Derrick Henry and they are happy with the way QB has worked out with Tannehill. So the Rams would still get the #1 overall and Dak goes to them.

Theoretically, of course. LOL
Yeah, except there's no way Tannehill lasts to Miami in the 2012 draft to waste his first several seasons under Philbin and Gase, so Tennessee can't count on getting him down the road. If Washington takes Tannehill instead of RGIII, or the Browns take him instead of Trent Richardson, or the Jaguars instead of Justin Blackmon, he'd likely have a very different career path--maybe not better, given those teams, but certainly different.