CFZ Bass at LG and Tyler at LT Could Help with Offensive Line Struggles

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I know many would like to keep Tyler at LG, including myself (ideally). But if the goal is to get your best 5 of the field, I'd suggest moving Tyler to LT and playing Bass at LG. I was actually impressed with how stout Bass is, and how smart he seems to be as a player. To me, having Bass and Tyler on the left side gives you more flexibility in the run game and maybe even better pass protection.

Plus, it's only a matter of time before Tyron gets injured again.

I want to plan for the future. Starting Bass not only develops him for the future, but it allows you to be more creative in the run game on the left side because Tyler and Bass are more mobile than Tyron nowadays.

Part of the problem is obviously McCarthy, but he made about as much improvement in one week as you could ask for. I saw more pre-snap motion and a tad bit more creativity in the passing game, which really helped our team. I would just like to be more consistent on offense.

I know it would suck for Tyler to have to switch positions again, but I think it would be better for productivity.

The way I see it, Tyron is starting now based on his legacy. And the team seems set on leaving Tyler at LG, which is why Edoga is backing up Tyron. I just think we're a better team with Tyler at the most important position on the line. And I think Bass can man that spot and play well enough to start at LG. To me, fixing the offensive line problems is the first thing I'd work on during the bye week.

We have a lot of depth, but not a whole lot of stability with our starting 5.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I know many would like to keep Tyler at LG, including myself (ideally). But if the goal is to get your best 5 of the field, I'd suggest moving Tyler to LT and playing Bass at LG. I was actually impressed with how stout Bass is, and how smart he seems to be as a player. To me, having Bass and Tyler on the left side gives you more flexibility in the run game and maybe even better pass protection.

I want to plan for the future. Starting Bass not only develops him for the future, but it allows you to be more creative in the run game on the left side because Tyler and Bass are more mobile than Tyron nowadays.

Part of the problem is obviously McCarthy, but he made about as much improvement in one week as you could ask for. I saw more pre-snap motion and a tad bit more creativity in the passing game, which really helped our team. I would just like to be more consistent on offense.

I know it would suck for Tyler to have to switch positions again, but I think it would be better for productivity.

The way I see it, Tyron is starting now based on his legacy. And the team seems set on leaving Tyler at LG, which is why Edoga is backing up Tyron. I just think we're a better team with Tyler at the most important position on the line. And I think Bass can man that spot and play well enough to start. To me, fixing the offensive line problems is the first thing I'd work on during the bye week.

Should have just drafted Torrance in the second instead of a TE we didnt need.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

The way I see it, Tyron is starting now based on his legacy. And the team seems set on leaving Tyler at LG, which is why Edoga is backing up Tyron. I just think we're a better team with Tyler at the most important position on the line. And I think Bass can man that spot and play well enough to start at LG. To me, fixing the offensive line problems is the first thing I'd work on during the bye week.

Tyler has been terrible the last 2 weeks.

John813

Reaction score
Bass is not a good pass blocker.
Tyler Smith last year was not a consistently good pass blocker. He did a good job as a rookie stepping into the position and had some good games and bad games.

The best 5 does not include Bass at LG when everyone is healthy.

Tyron has no issues moving.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Tyron actually looked reasonably good out there yesterday. Biadasz and Steele were extremely problematic.

I don’t put a ton of stock in PFF grades, but I find that they can help you ballpark performance. Tyron and Zack have both received 75+ grades on the season which means they are just a touch below elite starters. Tyler has an 85 which is flat out elite. Steele has a 50 which means he is playing at a replacement level (the eye test confirms this) while Biadasz has been essentially a backup with a 62.

Bass was getting his butt kicked pretty good most of the weeks he had to be on the field. He needs another year to work on his strength and build an NFL body. I would be very hesitant to get him back in the lineup.

I would love for Dallas to look to upgrade at center in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft this year. You are stuck with Steele because of the contact he just signed, but I have faith that he is just in the process of rebounding from injury.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Tyler has been terrible the last 2 weeks.
Right now, we'd be better off with him at tackle. There's really almost nothing this team needs more other than to move him over there. It will help with not having to run up the middle. Sometimes, I've seen them putting numbers on him because it's obvious the Cowboys want to run behind him. But they can run behind him from the left tackle position. The way the line is now, seems like Jerry and Stephen dictating who starts up there and so they get to meddle in the game or whatever, which is fine. It's their team. But there should at least be a discussion on the benefits of moving Tyler back to LT.

It'd serve the team better, and bring Tyler a better paycheck, which is why I think they're currently playing him at LG, so they don't have to pay him LT money. The only problem with that is . . . we need him at LT right now. JMO.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Right now, we'd be better off with him at tackle. There's really almost nothing this team needs more other than to move him over there. It will help with not having to run up the middle. Sometimes, I've seen them putting numbers on him because it's obvious the Cowboys want to run behind him. But they can run behind him from the left tackle position. The way the line is now, seems like Jerry and Stephen dictating who starts up there and so they get to meddle in the game or whatever, which is fine. It's their team. But there should at least be a discussion on the benefits of moving Tyler back to LT.

It'd serve the team better, and bring Tyler a better paycheck, which is why I think they're currently playing him at LG, so they don't have to pay him LT money. The only problem with that is . . . we need him at LT right now. JMO.
I honesty feel it's more about the new scheme, then it is the personnel with both the run and the pass.

Reaction score

Just curious why you choose Bass over Edoga? Edoga has played some guard on the left side why Tyler was out, he would seem the natural fit to play LG over Bass.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I honesty feel it's more about the new scheme, then it is the personnel with both the run and the pass.
You may be right. I suspect it's a little of both. And then the impact on morale when a veteran takes the spot of a young player with more upside.

Again, just my opinion. I realize who Tyron Smith is. I just don't view him as that same player in 2023. He's a legacy player at this point, to me at least.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You may be right. I suspect it's a little of both. And then the impact on morale when a veteran takes the spot of a young player with more upside.

Again, just my opinion. I realize who Tyron Smith is. I just don't view him as that same player in 2023. He's a legacy player at this point, to me at least.
Something isn't right with our OL, Pollard looks like Zeke last year where he has a player in his face as soon as he gets the ball. Pass protection hasn't been much better. Perhaps not much time together to get that continuity or they are struggling with the new blocking scheme.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This would make the team worse at two spots.
I can see how you'd see it that way. But we wouldn't know until we did some A/B testing.

Something isn't right with our OL, Pollard looks like Zeke last year where he has a player in his face as soon as he gets the ball. Pass protection hasn't been much better. Perhaps not much time together to get that continuity or they are struggling with the new blocking scheme.
After his injury, Pollard has certainly lost a stop. You're right. Pollard resembles Zeke from last year, Dowdle looks more like Pollard last year.

After 6 weeks, I hope we figure out that we're not really a running team. Not a running team that pounds the ball to set up the pass. We're a pass to set up the run team.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I can see how you'd see it that way. But we wouldn't know until we did some A/B testing.
We do know that Tyron is a better T than Tyler, and that Tyler is a better G than Bass.

If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't be starting. It's what training camp is for.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Never thought Tyler Smith should have been moved off LT. Mistake .
Agree. It had more to do with economics than anything. I personally think he's a better LT than Tyron at this point in their careers. But that's just me..

RonWashington

Reaction score
Agree. It had more to do with economics than anything. I personally think he's a better LT than Tyron at this point in their careers. But that's just me..

No doubt . He’s younger . Healthier . When you draft someone who can handle LT the way 73 did last year you just don’t move them . It’s like you said pure economics . Steele got a contract Tyron has his contract so neither will sit so a Bass can be inserted . I’m not real impressed with the Mike Solari product .

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
  1. Tyron was literally our best OL by grade and eye test last night. By a longshot.
  2. Tyler Smith, Biadasz, Steele and even Martin all had bad games.
  3. Smith, Biadasz and the TEs were in particular lost in the running game. So many whiffed blocks.
  4. Bass may get there but he has struggled as well.
  5. Tyler MAY be a good tackle,but he has a chance to be a GREAT guard. Leave him and draft/sign a new guard next year.