Battle=L Johnson..?

malbis030347

Reaction score
Does anyone else see the resemblance in body makeup between Jackie Battle and Larry Johnson?....seems like they even have similar running styles...can you imagine if Battle turns out to be a steal and is even half of what LJ is..?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
malbis030347;1486435 said:
Does anyone else see the resemblance in body makeup between Jackie Battle and Larry Johnson?....seems like they even have similar running styles...can you imagine if Battle turns out to be a steal and is even half of what LJ is..?

I'm looking forward to seeing what Battle can do in this style of offense compared to what he was playing at the U of H. I like his combonation of size and speed. It should be interesting to see him this pre-season.

sago1

Reaction score
TThompson has great straight ahead speed & 1 of better PRs in the NFL but still hasn't shown any cutting ability thru his 2nd season. He's also poor blocker against the blitz. Hopefully we can add another RB who more multi-dimensional.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I see a resemblance in physique, but I don't know about production... Battle is actually faster than LJ, but lets wait and see him in TRAINING CAMP before we annoint him anything more than camp fodder, though I think he will produce.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1486518 said:
Battle is no Larry Johnson.

We really don't know what Battle will be able to accomplish good or bad. Priest Holmes came in as an UDFA and I don't think anyone envisioned him putting up the numbers he did. It is premature to place any expectation on Battle at this point, he will go to camp and we will all get to see if he is worth keeping or not.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1486529 said:
We really don't know what Battle will be able to accomplish good or bad. Priest Holmes came in as an UDFA and I don't think anyone envisioned him putting up the numbers he did. It is premature to place any expectation on Battle at this point, he will go to camp and we will all get to see if he is worth keeping or not.

I don't agree Dooms. Battle is no Priest Holmes either. I've watched the Cougs a bit and to me, he is a straight line guy with average balance. He doesn't have a lot of juke to him. More of a one cut back. He is strong but I don't think he's a very good blocker and he doesn't catch the ball. He played in an offense that threw the ball as much as anybody in the country and he has no catches. Priest could always catch the ball, he would always run it hard up the gut and he could always create in the open field. His problem was size. Nobody thought he could stand up to the pounding a RB would have to take and in those days, that was true. In 1996, the NFL was still a run first league for RBs. It evolved into a more diversified position while Holmes was in the league. I don't think you can say that about Battle. I hope he can be that kind of back but I don't know that he can. One thing is for sure thou, Larry Johnson, he aint, IMO.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
xpistofer;1486568 said:
Romo=UDFA...and Pro Bowler...

Sorry had to do it...:eek::
But we're talking about right now...

Right now, Battle = UDFA who hasn't even sniffed an NFL practice field.

Larry Johnson = 'nuff said..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1486569 said:
I don't agree Dooms. Battle is no Priest Holmes either. I've watched the Cougs a bit and to me, he is a straight line guy with average balance. He doesn't have a lot of juke to him. More of a one cut back. He is strong but I don't think he's a very good blocker and he doesn't catch the ball. He played in an offense that threw the ball as much as anybody in the country and he has no catches. Priest could always catch the ball, he would always run it hard up the gut and he could always create in the open field. His problem was size. Nobody thought he could stand up to the pounding a RB would have to take and in those days, that was true. In 1996, the NFL was still a run first league for RBs. It evolved into a more diversified position while Holmes was in the league. I don't think you can say that about Battle. I hope he can be that kind of back but I don't know that he can. One thing is for sure thou, Larry Johnson, he aint, IMO.

I have watched several Houston games and the kid can play, what he will or will not do in the NFL no one knows. When I mentioned Holmes it was because as an UDFA no one had a clue as to what he would do in the NFL they sure as heck did not expect him to be a guy putting up the yardage he did. Jackie Battle will get a chance to show himself until then no one knows what will happen unless you have some crystal ball you don't know what he will or will not accoplish at this level.

chicago JK

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1486578 said:
But we're talking about right now...

Right now, Battle = UDFA who hasn't even sniffed an NFL practice field.

Larry Johnson = 'nuff said..

true true. I am interested to see Battle though. I know Jerry likes Tyson but he will have a lot to prove this training camp coming back from injury. I am not too keen keeping two true fullbacks on the roster. If Battle can prove to be a backup fullback and also show some running skills, Tyson could be in trouble if Miles or Stanbeck proove they can handle kickoff returns.

Some really nice battles going into camp. I do hope that Hoyte makes the team either at FB or back at linebacker.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1486582 said:
I have watched several Houston games and the kid can play, what he will or will not do in the NFL no one knows. When I mentioned Holmes it was because as an UDFA no one had a clue as to what he would do in the NFL they sure as heck did not expect him to be a guy putting up the yardage he did. Jackie Battle will get a chance to show himself until then no one knows what will happen unless you have some crystal ball you don't know what he will or will not accoplish at this level.

But we're not talking about what will happen here. We're talking about the comparison of Battle to Larry Johnson. That's a very different thing then trying to say that Battle could have a measure of success in the NFL. Larry Johnson is one of the top two or three RBs in the league IMO. I don't need a crystal ball to look at Larry Johnson (playing top compatition in the Big10, while at Penn State), and say that I don't see the same things in Jackie Battle (Conference USA) I saw in Larry Johnson.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think he'll make the team over Thompson. He's certainly got more upside. Here's a stat for you.

In 441 carries, he was tackled for a loss only 6 times.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1486597 said:
But we're not talking about what will happen here. We're talking about the comparison of Battle to Larry Johnson. That's a very different thing then trying to say that Battle could have a measure of success in the NFL. Larry Johnson is one of the top two or three RBs in the league IMO. I don't need a crystal ball to look at Larry Johnson (playing top compatition in the Big10, while at Penn State), and say that I don't see the same things in Jackie Battle (Conference USA) I saw in Larry Johnson.

True, how ever the comparison was "Does anyone else see the resemblance in body makeup between Jackie Battle and Larry Johnson?" Yes they are comparable in that sense Johnson is 6'1" 230, Battle is 6'2" 235 both have good speed for men of their size. Other than I would agree that Johnson skill level was shown at a big time school and he is now an established back in the NFL. Battle is an unknown who will get a chance to show what he can do at this level.

ndanger

Reaction score
chicago JK;1486584 said:
true true. I am interested to see Battle though. I know Jerry likes Tyson but he will have a lot to prove this training camp coming back from injury. I am not too keen keeping two true fullbacks on the roster. If Battle can prove to be a backup fullback and also show some running skills, Tyson could be in trouble if Miles or Stanbeck proove they can handle kickoff returns.

Some really nice BATTLES going into camp. I do hope that Hoyte makes the team either at FB or back at linebacker.

I will assume there was no pun intended.:D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1486610 said:
True, how ever the comparison was "Does anyone else see the resemblance in body makeup between Jackie Battle and Larry Johnson?" Yes they are comparable in that sense Johnson is 6'1" 230, Battle is 6'2" 235 both have good speed for men of their size. Other than I would agree that Johnson skill level was shown at a big time school and he is now an established back in the NFL. Battle is an unknown who will get a chance to show what he can do at this level.

Fair enough. There both big guys. I can live with that. However, IMO, that's where it ends between the two.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1486621 said:
Fair enough. There both big guys. I can live with that. However, IMO, that's where it ends between the two.

I'm a big guy. Guess I'm on the same level as LJ.:laugh2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1486621 said:

I never said Battle was equal to Johnson, all I have really stated is none of us know how Battle will do at this level under this style of offense. He may flourish or he may be gone before the start of the season, which is anyone’s guess at this stage. I think Battle has one thing going for him and that is the ability to play either the FB or HB position

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Future 585;1486625 said:
I'm a big guy. Guess I'm on the same level as LJ.:laugh2:
Can you run a 4.4 40, jump 41" in the air, or have a broad jump of 10'11"? :D