Battle=L Johnson..?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1486628 said:
I never said Battle was equal to Johnson, all I have really stated is none of us know how Battle will do at this level under this style of offense. He may flourish or he may be gone before the start of the season, which is anyone’s guess at this stage. I think Battle has one thing going for him and that is the ability to play either the FB or HB position

Again, fair enough. I'm not trying to say that your calling Battle the second coming of Larry Johnson. What I am saying is that I want to be perfectly clear about the fact that in no way do I believe he is comparable to Larry Johnson.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1486634 said:
Again, fair enough. I'm not trying to say that your calling Battle the second coming of Larry Johnson. What I am saying is that I want to be perfectly clear about the fact that in no way do I believe he is comparable to Larry Johnson.
You're right. He's bigger and faster. ;)

malbis030347

Reaction score
exactly...!....getting back to my original post--"does anyone see a resemblance in physique and running style?"....no mention of equal abilities... I would not be so brazen as to think that...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
malbis030347;1486640 said:
exactly...!....getting back to my original post--"does anyone see a resemblance in physique and running style?"....no mention of equal abilities... I would not be so brazen as to think that...

Relative size is simular. As has been pointed out, Battle is slightly bigger and faster. Johnson has better vision, balance and is a bit more fluid runner IMO. Also has much better hands I would say.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I have not had to pleasure of watching Battle play, however, I hope he is as good as some of you believe he might be

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1486641 said:
So was the Bismarck.
Yeah, I'm not saying he's Johnson. I just like giving small-school players a chance. Players' bodies don't develop anywhere near where they'll potentially be when they're 17 years old and it's usually that time when the make a decision on what college to attend. When you have a guy that's a physical specimen like Battle, I'd give him a roster spot for a year or two and see what happens.

After all, Johnson exploded onto the scene in college during the 2002 season. Before that he hadn't done much of anything but be an average college back. He probably wasn't considered a 1st day pick until that season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;1486569 said:
I don't agree Dooms. Battle is no Priest Holmes either. I've watched the Cougs a bit and to me, he is a straight line guy with average balance. He doesn't have a lot of juke to him. More of a one cut back. He is strong but I don't think he's a very good blocker and he doesn't catch the ball. He played in an offense that threw the ball as much as anybody in the country and he has no catches. Priest could always catch the ball, he would always run it hard up the gut and he could always create in the open field. His problem was size. Nobody thought he could stand up to the pounding a RB would have to take and in those days, that was true. In 1996, the NFL was still a run first league for RBs. It evolved into a more diversified position while Holmes was in the league. I don't think you can say that about Battle. I hope he can be that kind of back but I don't know that he can. One thing is for sure thou, Larry Johnson, he aint, IMO.

I haven't seen anything of Battle other than his clips. For such a big runner, he runs on his tip toes a lot, which I think hampers his ability to cut back and his power once contact is made.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To be honest, I think a much better comparison to Battle might be a guy like Anthony Gray Signed by the Eagles a few years ago. JMO, of course.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt;1486658 said:
Yeah, I'm not saying he's Johnson. I just like giving small-school players a chance. Players' bodies don't develop anywhere near where they'll potentially be when they're 17 years old and it's usually that time when the make a decision on what college to attend. When you have a guy that's a physical specimen like Battle, I'd give him a roster spot for a year or two and see what happens.

After all, Johnson exploded onto the scene in college during the 2002 season. Before that he hadn't done much of anything but be an average college back. He probably wasn't considered a 1st day pick until that season.

I agree. Never hurts to give guys with upside a chance. They can and do turn into something special on occasion.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;1486684 said:
With those measureables why wasn't this guy drafted?
Beats the hell outta me. I don't know why Courtney Brown wasn't drafted higher, why Doug Free lasted to the late 4th, why Darius Walker went undrafted, why Ted Ginn went 9th overall, or even why we drafted a kicker.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jobberone;1486684 said:
With those measureables why wasn't this guy drafted?

History of injury is part of it. He plays FB but he's not a very physical player for that role. I don't know how he tested but he may have issues as far as his intelligence goes. I don't know his scores but I think he may have tested poorly. He's a big guy who runs pretty straight. Not a lot of upside in the passing game. He may develop these things but right now, I don't know. May have also been a red flag in his past but I don't know that for sure. Just seems like I remember hearing something. Maybe one of the members closer to Houston can fill in.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;1486694 said:
Beats the hell outta me. I don't know why Courtney Brown wasn't drafted higher, why Doug Free lasted to the late 4th, why Darius Walker went undrafted, why Ted Ginn went 9th overall, or even why we drafted a kicker.

That's probably the answer. Just cause. I wondered if their was some inside knowlege.

ABQCOWBOY;1486695 said:
History of injury is part of it. He plays FB but he's not a very physical player for that role. I don't know how he tested but he may have issues as far as his intelligence goes. I don't know his scores but I think he may have tested poorly. He's a big guy who runs pretty straight. Not a lot of upside in the passing game. He may develop these things but right now, I don't know. May have also been a red flag in his past but I don't know that for sure. Just seems like I remember hearing something. Maybe one of the members closer to Houston can fill in.

I didn't know that before the draft. I hadn't seen him play but the scuttlebutt was he was a fair runner. Hadn't heard anything that's a red flag. Suspicious though.

ndanger;1486709 said:
What we have heah is a failure................to communate

That's funny as heck. :laugh2:

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
How about we wait until we see this guy actually HIT the practice field before we annoint him the second coming of LJ... How can he legitimately be compared to LJ if he hasn't even made our own AR?!?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There were no red flags on Battle in regards to off the field incidents. He was recruited by Texas A&M but choose Houston to stay closer to his family. I think the only thing that may have hurt Battle is because of the system ran by U of H and lack of exposure. Injury wise he did miss 5 games in 2004 with torn tendons in his finger that required surgery.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
theogt;1486629 said:
Can you run a 4.4 40, jump 41" in the air, or have a broad jump of 10'11"? :D

does madden count? :laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1486782 said:
There were no red flags on Battle in regards to off the field incidents. He was recruited by Texas A&M but choose Houston to stay closer to his family. I think the only thing that may have hurt Battle is because of the system ran by U of H and lack of exposure. Injury wise he did miss 5 games in 2004 with torn tendons in his finger that required surgery.

He also missed the entire 02 season with a knee injury. He took a injury redshirt that year.