Baylor center Phillip Blake will workout for Cowboys on Monday

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4473969 said:
I don't understand anybody who would say PASS, give me such and such. The reality is that Such and Such could be gone and we would be forced to either do nothing or select another player. You should be pissed off if the club were not exploring all viable options at any given position of need.

Get a grip.
Someday, maybe some people here will understand that you can't have the top rated player at every position...all in one draft.:cool:

Another pet peeve is people saying to take this or that positon in a certain round without taking into account value....but also not being willing to move up or down to maximize and match need/value.

Oh well..maybe someday.

fortdick

Reaction score
Aikbach;4473530 said:
Still getting 5 to 7 years of good play from a lineman drafted in the second or third round is hard to complain about.

Mark Stepnoski played 6 years before Dallas lost him to free agency, got him back in 1999 after being without him for four pro bowl seasons with the Oilers and he finished out with two solid more seasons.

You technically only got 7 full seasons out of him, but he was a great third round pick.

Yeah, but the last two years he was playing high because of the pain. Thank goodness for medical marijuana or his career would have been over.

Aikbach

Reaction score
fortdick;4474362 said:
Yeah, but the last two years he was playing high because of the pain. Thank goodness for medical marijuana or his career would have been over.
Point is he was still worth the five years he played before lost to free agency (on roster for 6 but was injured almost entire 1993 season), five to six years of a good play from any starter is worth a third round pick.

fortdick

Reaction score
Aikbach;4474653 said:
Point is he was still worth the five years he played before lost to free agency (on roster for 6 but was injured almost entire 1993 season), five to six years of a good play from any starter is worth a third round pick.

So, you are saying that Blake will start for 5-6 years? If we draft him, and he starts in two years, he would have to play to 35 to reach that. He certainly won't start this season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
fortdick;4474669 said:
So, you are saying that Blake will start for 5-6 years? If we draft him, and he starts in two years, he would have to play to 35 to reach that. He certainly won't start this season.

OLs can play well into their 30s many times. It would not be unheard of.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
The mid 3rd-early 4th is probably where Blake will go.

I want a trade down in the 1st: Grab Mercilus and Zeitler

In the 2nd round I want Billy Wynn

3rd round give me Philip Blake or the top available CB

Aikbach

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4474743 said:
OLs can play well into their 30s many times. It would not be unheard of.
i made that point earlier, but no one seemed to have listened.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I dont want Blake at all. 22 bench enough said . I want my center to anchor the line. so tired of these guys getting pushed back into Romo

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy Junkie;4475150 said:
I dont want Blake at all. 22 bench enough said . I want my center to anchor the line. so tired of these guys getting pushed back into Romo

Konz only had 18 reps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see age as that big of a deal for a 4th round pick.

The problem with T. Newman was not that he was a 26 year old rookie. The problem was the Cowboys signed him to a 50 million dollar extension when he was a 30 year old CB.

When Blake hits FA at age 32, just use the money on a 26 to 28 year old FA.

In other words, sign 26 year old KC FA Brandon Carr to 50 million dollar contract in 2012 instead of signing Cowboys own 30 year old player T. Newman to a 50 million dollar contract in 2008.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4473282 said:
In the 3rd or 4th, yes
Eagles drafted a 27 year old OG from Baylor last year in the 1st
That's the Reid way...trying to outsmart the rest...he really is bad at drafting overall

JBS

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4475290 said:
He is quite old otherwise I would love the pick.

whats your top 5 for our 1st rd pick?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4475338 said:
whats your top 5 for our 1st rd pick?

I want DeCastro. If not DeCastro I would be pretty tempted to trade down if there is a good offer on the table. Would love to add another 2nd round pick and drop down and take Mark Barron in the mid 20s.