Bear's Annual Look at the Draft, v. 2007

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Biggems;1445259 said:
Hey Bear..........why Anderson over McClain? I have read that McClain is a very nice receiver out of the backfield and also a nice blocker.

Anderson is a little bigger, and a little faster...

I really thought u would have Bushrod on your mock...you pulled a fast one on me.

So I will keep your picks through 5.....

6a FB LeRon McClain Alabama
6b QB Jared Zabransky Boise St
7a OL Jermon Bushrod Towson St
7b OLB Jacob Ford Central Arkansas
7c OL Ed McCarthy Yale

I like Bushrod just fine, I just went in another direction late...

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1444971 said:
replace Jason Hill w/ ECU WR Aundrae Allison, who the Cowboys have shown interest in and is the 2nd coming of Torry Holt

3 NTs is a bit much don't you think? 2 is fine

oh, I like it despite the NT overkill

Well, like I said, either of those two 7th round NTs could make a nice conversion project to the OL...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1445283 said:
Well, like I said, either of those two 7th round NTs could make a nice conversion project to the OL...

didn't Jerry just say that they aren't looking for projects?

Pokes28

Reaction score
I know a LOT about big Walt (Walter Thomas). He's huge of course, and he's a a natural athlete. The negative is that he's never shown any drive and he's dumb as a post. He was kicked off of Oklahoma State because he was not going to class and not doing well in the classes that he did attend. Then after he found his way to JUCO, he was kicked off the team during the season because he was failing every single class.

This isn't just a case of a kid that doesn't like school (he doesn't), he doesn't show the drive or the passion to even do what it takes to play this game.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1445302 said:
didn't Jerry just say that they aren't looking for projects?

In the late rounds, you're not gonna find anything but... I'm pretty sure Jerry was referring to his early round picks, the ones he's counting on to contribute this year...

silverbear

Reaction score
Pokes28;1445318 said:
I know a LOT about big Walt (Walter Thomas). He's huge of course, and he's a a natural athlete. The negative is that he's never shown any drive and he's dumb as a post. He was kicked off of Oklahoma State because he was not going to class and not doing well in the classes that he did attend. Then after he found his way to JUCO, he was kicked off the team during the season because he was failing every single class.

This isn't just a case of a kid that doesn't like school (he doesn't), he doesn't show the drive or the passion to even do what it takes to play this game.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

So, you're saying he's the second coming of Darren Benson??

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1445472 said:
In the late rounds, you're not gonna find anything but... I'm pretty sure Jerry was referring to his early round picks, the ones he's counting on to contribute this year...

I seriously doubt we are going to take a NT and convert him to the Oline

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Awesome job (as usual) silverbear.

I'm going to print this off and digest a bit more before offering too many comments.

The only things I wanted to throw out right now is a request to please include Anthony Spencer in your first round analysis. And if we don't WR in the first, I think we will look at guys like Steve Smith and Anthony Gonzalez in the 2nd. Unfortunately, DeOssie is probably going to take a 3rd in my estimation. At 4th round, he is an absolute steal for any 3-4 team.

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446071 said:
I seriously doubt we are going to take a NT and convert him to the Oline

It ain't like we've never done that... remember Mark Tuinei??

Indeed, lots of offensive linemen in the NFL are converted defensive linemen... sometimes they were converted in college, sometimes they were converted when they got to the NFL...

The point was to try either Thomas or Harris at NT, and if for whatever reason they don't work out, then perhaps think about trying them on the OL...

silverbear

Reaction score
cobra;1446464 said:
Awesome job (as usual) silverbear.

I'm going to print this off and digest a bit more before offering too many comments.

The only things I wanted to throw out right now is a request to please include Anthony Spencer in your first round analysis. And if we don't WR in the first, I think we will look at guys like Steve Smith and Anthony Gonzalez in the 2nd. Unfortunately, DeOssie is probably going to take a 3rd in my estimation. At 4th round, he is an absolute steal for any 3-4 team.

Spencer is on my spreadsheet, which has something over 180 players on it... I wouldn't mind if the Boys went that way, but really don't expect them to in the first round...

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Wonderful read. Thanks for posting SB.

I have 3 out of your 1st 4 on my wish list (which changes daily!).
I love the results of the Blalock trade.
I also like the late round choices.

DB is an irritant given the profile of this draft class - but we see the reason for Smith's 'Economic problem'!

silverbear

Reaction score
Chrissyboy;1449058 said:
Wonderful read. Thanks for posting SB.

You are most welcome, sir...

I have 3 out of your 1st 4 on my wish list (which changes daily!).

Hey, so does mine... :D

Out of curiosity, which of my first 4 did not make your list??