Beating teams you were supposed to beat, even by a lot, what does it do for your confidence level on this season?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
None, again nothing matters til the playoffs. the season is for the fans who love beating bad teams and talking things that wont happen. WE can beat all the bad teams we want, but once a team punches us in the face, we ahve to respond. So far we still arent doing that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying and share the same concerns. For the past several years, we’ve shown ourselves as an ‘upper middle team’ that beats mediocre teams and thrashes the bad ones.

But we’ve shown that we can’t beat the truly good ones, at least not with any consistency. And that’s frustrating for me too.

For the sake of offering a different perspective, I’ll share that I’ve chosen to enjoy the ride, along with games like yesterday.

My reasoning is simple. If I don’t, I’ll just be aggravated and the Cowboys will be a negative for me rather than something I enjoy. And what’s the point of having that in my life?

The season will be over before we know it. It always is. So I try to enjoy it and every game while I can. Let the chips fall where they may.
What you say is true but if this man can't enjoy this as a week to week league and this is how it goes the Eagles pretty much play an identical schedule outside of three teams but those three differing teams are also about the same record as our schedule... You gotta look at this as a setup for the playoffs it doesn't matter really what happens in the regular season we've seen it time and time again where a wild card team or a team that starts off the season looking shaky finds their rhythm and plays well in the playoffs that's what I'm hoping for

something will change just like Jimmy Johnson's finally going in the Ring of Honor things someday well all of a sudden the narrative that we can't get past the second round will go away we will do it one of these days... If you don't watch football like apparently this guy does not they all have these same teams on their schedules the whole entire NFL was built for parody it's a week to week league we've seen just every week this happened to other teams at least we beat the giants 89 to 17 versus the bills 14 to 9 when what and then Washington losing both games in that same team that everyone here says it's just the giants well then why does just the giants have at least three wins, it wasn't against us..

All the narratives around here about 27 years the Ring of Honor we can't win in the playoffs it's all slowly systematically being erased... It's ridiculous everybody knows this is a week to week league things change from game to game and it's a year to year league trying to stack 27 years on top of our own team right now that some of them weren't even born back then it's ridiculous we just need to enjoy the regular season and be happy that we are at least playoff contenders and then hope one of these days boom we get to the NFC championship game it could be this year no matter how we play in the regular season it will have no effect on the playoffs we need to get there healthy we need to have the right mindset and we need a little luck don't tell me that the Philadelphia Eagles didn't have luck last year playing the lowly giants and then playing a team without their quarterback...

We need some luck to happen like that instead of the bad luck we've been snake bit at the wrong times we've been very competitive in those games that we've lost in the playoffs we just need that little extra one or two plays go our way that's it, just a play or 2 swing a penalty called or not called is the difference in these games.
I mean we all remember all those plays that's happened in these crazy games since Tony Romo and now Prescott these games have gone crazy with a bounce here or there a missed call here or there. Snakebit, yes but acting like we're not competitive in the playoffs is ridiculous we've actually in every one of these games down in the last second so it just going to take that little extra...​
I mean if you need anymore proof look at the Eagles game two weeks ago I mean it literally a game of 1 inch for one toe and we win that game..​
I believe!​

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Beating the bad teams is how you stack wins that get you to the post season to have a chance at the ultimate prize. To me it’s like saving your money to buy something valuable. Sure, the wins aren’t over the top impressive but they are wins and in this league teams lose to inferior talent pretty often so all wins are good.

That’s why I stay not too high or too low-even if we get “signature” wins. Obviously this team will need eventually to beat higher quality opponents and that’s tbd but these wins don’t alter or change my perception that much. The cowboys are a good team but likely not a super bowl or championship game team at this point in the year yet…..but it’s a fluid situation.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Beating teams you were supposed to beat, even by a lot, what does it do for your confidence level on this season?​

It doesn't change my confidence level at all. Why should it? We all know what determines if this is a successful season or not. Beating up on teams you are supposed to beat really means nothing.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Grown men miserable over a child's game that they don't participate in. These same "men" would also complain about today generation lmao, can't make this stuff up. Football made you soft :dance:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see a lot of predictable posts today after another boys dominate win against one of the worst teams in the league. This franchise has become so predictable, after the loss to philly and the upcoming schedule you knew the boys would get fat in these next 3 games. But in my opinion, it has not done anything to convince me this season is any different. The 2 games against the best teams in the NFC they lost to, their last few games of the year after this easy stretch will tell you a lot more about this team than these last few. Just how it is.
Pappy gave you a like...nice to see him back.
What would it have done for their confidence if they had lost? Winning is the opposite of that. You play your schedule and take care of business, it does a lot for team confidence and morale. Struggling a bit, keeps them grounded.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't change my confidence level at all. Why should it? We all know what determines if this is a successful season or not. Beating up on teams you are supposed to beat really means nothing.
It means A LOT.....I don't see why people don't get it. Many don't appreciate the amount of work, preparation, discipline and time it takes to win at any level, much less the NFL.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I see a lot of predictable posts today after another boys dominate win against one of the worst teams in the league. This franchise has become so predictable, after the loss to philly and the upcoming schedule you knew the boys would get fat in these next 3 games. But in my opinion, it has not done anything to convince me this season is any different. The 2 games against the best teams in the NFC they lost to, their last few games of the year after this easy stretch will tell you a lot more about this team than these last few. Just how it is.
well, you are supposed to beat up on teams you are supposed to beat. as opposed to struggling and losing to them (i.e. Arizona). take care of business. then work on playing mistake free football (which we didn't against eagles).

the only thing I don't like about this team is they are very finesse as opposed to being physical. this OL is built to be physical and they play on their heels all the time. don't like the new OL blocking scheme

Sydla

Reaction score
It means A LOT.....I don't see why people don't get it. Many don't appreciate the amount of work, preparation, discipline and time it takes to win at any level, much less the NFL.
But the point is that this is no different than past years. This team suddenly isn't proving they put more work or prep into this season than past ones based on rolling a bad Panthers team.

Essentially, the question is does the fact they smoked some bad teams give you more confidence heading into the postseason? For many, it does not because this team has consistently been good in the regular season only to spit the bit in the postseason. So most fans are taking the position that they won't get sucked in again. They need to see it to believe come postseason (and even in late December where we have some big games like Philly, Buffalo and Detroit).

Sydla

Reaction score
What you say is true but if this man can't enjoy this as a week to week league and this is how it goes the Eagles pretty much play an identical schedule outside of three teams but those three differing teams are also about the same record as our schedule... You gotta look at this as a setup for the playoffs it doesn't matter really what happens in the regular season we've seen it time and time again where a wild card team or a team that starts off the season looking shaky finds their rhythm and plays well in the playoffs that's what I'm hoping for

something will change just like Jimmy Johnson's finally going in the Ring of Honor things someday well all of a sudden the narrative that we can't get past the second round will go away we will do it one of these days... If you don't watch football like apparently this guy does not they all have these same teams on their schedules the whole entire NFL was built for parody it's a week to week league we've seen just every week this happened to other teams at least we beat the giants 89 to 17 versus the bills 14 to 9 when what and then Washington losing both games in that same team that everyone here says it's just the giants well then why does just the giants have at least three wins, it wasn't against us..

All the narratives around here about 27 years the Ring of Honor we can't win in the playoffs it's all slowly systematically being erased... It's ridiculous everybody knows this is a week to week league things change from game to game and it's a year to year league trying to stack 27 years on top of our own team right now that some of them weren't even born back then it's ridiculous we just need to enjoy the regular season and be happy that we are at least playoff contenders and then hope one of these days boom we get to the NFC championship game it could be this year no matter how we play in the regular season it will have no effect on the playoffs we need to get there healthy we need to have the right mindset and we need a little luck don't tell me that the Philadelphia Eagles didn't have luck last year playing the lowly giants and then playing a team without their quarterback...

We need some luck to happen like that instead of the bad luck we've been snake bit at the wrong times we've been very competitive in those games that we've lost in the playoffs we just need that little extra one or two plays go our way that's it, just a play or 2 swing a penalty called or not called is the difference in these games.
I mean we all remember all those plays that's happened in these crazy games since Tony Romo and now Prescott these games have gone crazy with a bounce here or there a missed call here or there. Snakebit, yes but acting like we're not competitive in the playoffs is ridiculous we've actually in every one of these games down in the last second so it just going to take that little extra...​
I mean if you need anymore proof look at the Eagles game two weeks ago I mean it literally a game of 1 inch for one toe and we win that game..​
I believe!​

I am confused, what is being systematically being erased?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the point is that this is no different than past years. This team suddenly isn't proving they put more work or prep into this season than past ones based on rolling a bad Panthers team.

Essentially, the question is does the fact they smoked some bad teams give you more confidence heading into the postseason? For many, it does not because this team has consistently been good in the regular season only to spit the bit in the postseason. So most fans are taking the position that they won't get sucked in again. They need to see it to believe come postseason (and even in late December where we have some big games like Philly, Buffalo and Detroit).
For many fans, no....for players and staff to go out and take care of business, yes. Fans get to nit pick, criticize etc, while the team is busting their butts to prepare. Believe me, any win is satisfying for a team. Will those wins equate to playoff success, we'll see. All I know is that last year was last year. This is now.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys MO with MM has been blowing out bad teams and losing to good ones. This season has held the trend.

I suspect this season will end as the others have.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We are the Dallas Cowboys. We are built to crush weaker opponents when things are going well. We are not built to go on the road and beat a quality team in the playoffs. Have not been since 2016. Player like Bland, Bell, Parsons, Lamb, and Ferguson give me some hope that this year might be different. Players like Dak, Lawrence, Tyron and Zak make me nervous that things have not changed.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying and share the same concerns. For the past several years, we’ve shown ourselves as an ‘upper middle team’ that beats mediocre teams and thrashes the bad ones.

But we’ve shown that we can’t beat the truly good ones, at least not with any consistency. And that’s frustrating for me too.

For the sake of offering a different perspective, I’ll share that I’ve chosen to enjoy the ride, along with games like yesterday.

My reasoning is simple. If I don’t, I’ll just be aggravated and the Cowboys will be a negative for me rather than something I enjoy. And what’s the point of having that in my life?

The season will be over before we know it. It always is. So I try to enjoy it and every game while I can. Let the chips fall where they may.
The last line of your post is the best line. Every offseason is spent looking forward to the next season opener. Makes no sense to me to moan and groan about every game once the season arrives….that’s just me. Every fan has a right to be Miserable if they want to, but I’ll save being miserable for when the final game has been played and the long offseason arrives.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Not going to complain or over analyze stacking wins in November. Yes, Dallas challenge is winning over the next 2 months, but I enjoy watching the team improve and young players start to emerge as solid contributors.

garyv

Reaction score

Basically as I've stated in another post they have to beat Philly and SF or they are the third best team in their conference. PERIOD.