Beebe vs Biadasz: Why Beebe will be an upgrade at Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Yeah, the rookie who has never played the position in college, yet alone the pros, is going to instantly be better than an average league starter. Right..... His ceiling might be higher, but to think he is going to be better right out the gate is laughable.
Agreed, believing that because we drafted two OL in the first 3 rounds somehow transforms our OL this year is not very likely. You have already discussed Beebe, but then the thought that Guyton (14 tackle starts in college) is going to be better then a 13 game starter (last year) future HOF OT Smith is crazy. Then you add that Zack is on the decline and the best hope for this year is that somehow we stay at par.

Were they good moves for the future, sure but we will be lucky to have the same production this year as last.

Then I see some saying that the OL will be so much better this year it devalues what RB you have behind this line, it basically does not matter. Don't understand this line (pun intended) of thinking.

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Beebe was a 2nd round talent that luckily fell to the Cowboys early in the 3rd round. Also, Travis Frederick was the 31st overall pick taken (end of the 1st round), so Beebe is not that far behind him in talent as a blocker. Certainly much better than Biadasz.
No argument with most of that. I agree the Cowboys got a heck of a value in the 3rd round, and I think Beebe ends up a pro bowl player. I do however think we are too quick to dismiss Biadasz as a liability last year though. I think he was pretty average by NFL standards. He's physically gifted enough to make me look foolish in a few months, but it's just too early to pencil in Beebe as an upgrade at this point IMO.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Beebe is intersting. He tested well but teams have docked him for poor movement skills and the reason he dropped to the 3rd RD..moving to Center might be the best option for Beebe and he might flourish there.

Creeper

Reaction score
When you look at the Cowboys running game last year, Biadasz shows up as one of the problems. This guy in the video is 100% correct. Biadasz was a problem. Not the only problem, but one of the problems. I remember his rookie year when Vita Vea just bulldozed him into Dak. Welcome to the NFL. Biadasz improved but was never strong enough to take on DTs one on one.

We will have to see Cooper Beebe actually play before we proclaim him an upgrade but I think he comes in with the potential to be more powerful and more mean. Do not underestimate how important the C position is. I do not think the Cowboys will miss Biadasz as all. If Beebe isn't up to it, I think Hoffman will be fine there.

gtb1943

Reaction score
When you look at the Cowboys running game last year, Biadasz shows up as one of the problems. This guy in the video is 100% correct. Biadasz was a problem. Not the only problem, but one of the problems. I remember his rookie year when Vita Vea just bulldozed him into Dak. Welcome to the NFL. Biadasz improved but was never strong enough to take on DTs one on one.

We will have to see Cooper Beebe actually play before we proclaim him an upgrade but I think he comes in with the potential to be more powerful and more mean. Do not underestimate how important the C position is. I do not think the Cowboys will miss Biadasz as all. If Beebe isn't up to it, I think Hoffman will be fine there.
Technically Biadasz was pretty good; he was just flat out not strong enough. The guy worked his butt off but the basic strength to play that position well was just not there

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I see the usual Church of Dak folks trying to gin up excitement over the coming mess. They are going to gas this kid up to epic proportions and when he fails it's going to provide another fall guy.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Beebe is intersting. He tested well but teams have docked him for poor movement skills and the reason he dropped to the 3rd RD..moving to Center might be the best option for Beebe and he might flourish there.
You bring up a good point, but it's also the one area that worries me about Beebe at C. You look at the direction the NFL is going and most of the top centers in the league are not these power house road graters.

Ragnow 6'5" 310lbs
Williams 6'5" 315lbs
Dalman 6'3" 300lbs
Kelce 6'3" 295lbs
Humphrey 6'4" 300lbs
Linderbaum 6'2" 305lbs

Now that doesn't mean that Beebe can't succeed just because he's a different profile than the top guys in the league now, but I think the position has become more of a finesse position than it was in the past for most teams. It could be that the Cowboys have two athletic players who can pull and get to the second level at G so it's not as crucial for them this year. It could also be a glance into what the Cowboys are hoping to do with the run game this year with bringing Zeke back. If they want a heavy north/south power rushing attack this guy could be a player right away. My worry is his lateral movement. Can he get to that reach block on a 1 or 2 technique? Can he be an effective player at the second level in the NFL where even middle of the road backers are going to get under and around him if he plays with his pads high...which is something I've seen on a couple different scouting reports now. I really like the player, but he has some questions to answer still.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Beebe will be an upgrade over Biadasz from day one. Says alot about how weak the C position has been since Frederick had to abruptly retire. Dallas needs more than just an upgrade, they need Beebe to perform at a Pro Bowl level within his first couple years. I think he has the ability and talent to do it. If he can, with an interior line of Smith, Beebe and Martin...it will certainly improve the running game. Now they need to get a RB who can take advantage inside the tackles and bursting big runs similar to Emmitt or Tony D.
We have one: ZEKE THE EWOK

All in, boys.

reddyuta

Reaction score
You bring up a good point, but it's also the one area that worries me about Beebe at C. You look at the direction the NFL is going and most of the top centers in the league are not these power house road graters.

Ragnow 6'5" 310lbs
Williams 6'5" 315lbs
Dalman 6'3" 300lbs
Kelce 6'3" 295lbs
Humphrey 6'4" 300lbs
Linderbaum 6'2" 305lbs

Now that doesn't mean that Beebe can't succeed just because he's a different profile than the top guys in the league now, but I think the position has become more of a finesse position than it was in the past for most teams. It could be that the Cowboys have two athletic players who can pull and get to the second level at G so it's not as crucial for them this year. It could also be a glance into what the Cowboys are hoping to do with the run game this year with bringing Zeke back. If they want a heavy north/south power rushing attack this guy could be a player right away. My worry is his lateral movement. Can he get to that reach block on a 1 or 2 technique? Can he be an effective player at the second level in the NFL where even middle of the road backers are going to get under and around him if he plays with his pads high...which is something I've seen on a couple different scouting reports now. I really like the player, but he has some questions to answer still.
Beebe has shown he can block very well in the 2nd level but NFL defenders are much faster,his transition to Center will be the most watched in Camp.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Beebe has shown he can block very well in the 2nd level but NFL defenders are much faster,his transition to Center will be the most watched in Camp.
It will be watched for sure, but Guyton has to work at LT or it has domino effects across the OL.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
yeah speed of the game is my concern which he honestly isnt a horrible athlete, but his tape seems to be slower than his combine numbers. Straight line speed he seems to move really well for hit size, but laterally I think he could run into some issues. I struggle to see it on tape because he's so dominant but I know a few scouting reports have said he has a tendency to play too tall at the second level. I'm sure he will be coached hard on that if the Cowboys feel its an issue, but his room for error against NFL LBs is going to be very slim and he may need a lot of reps before hes comfortable in that area. It's a lot easier to get caught off balance when an OL is on the move.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Beebe will be an upgrade over Biadasz from day one. Says alot about how weak the C position has been since Frederick had to abruptly retire. Dallas needs more than just an upgrade, they need Beebe to perform at a Pro Bowl level within his first couple years. I think he has the ability and talent to do it. If he can, with an interior line of Smith, Beebe and Martin...it will certainly improve the running game. Now they need to get a RB who can take advantage inside the tackles and bursting big runs similar to Emmitt or Tony D.
I’m betting Beebe will be Pro Bowl caliber if not his rookie season then by end of his sophomore campaign.

khiladi

Reaction score
I actually think Dallas OL is going to be a strength, including for the future for a new QB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
No argument with most of that. I agree the Cowboys got a heck of a value in the 3rd round, and I think Beebe ends up a pro bowl player. I do however think we are too quick to dismiss Biadasz as a liability last year though. I think he was pretty average by NFL standards. He's physically gifted enough to make me look foolish in a few months, but it's just too early to pencil in Beebe as an upgrade at this point IMO.
TB was All American/All Conf/Rimington Trophy/Pro Bowl.

His NFL stats are impressive.

He left because we are cap broke.

DQ jumped all over this.

TB has a $30 million contract.

TB haters don’t like it. 8)

gtb1943

Reaction score

Ragnow 6'5" 310lbs
Williams 6'5" 315lbs
Dalman 6'3" 300lbs
Kelce 6'3" 295lbs
Humphrey 6'4" 300lbs
Linderbaum 6'2" 305lbs

Fredbeard was 312 at the combine and gained a little after that. So Beebe is not as much an outlier as you want to make him out to be as regards potentially being a top center.
And you put too much emphasis on second level activity. the PRIMARY duty of a center is snap the ball; and hold the middle and be able to push on the run game. All the rest is good to have BUT NOT THAT NECESSARY. As long as he has quick enough feet to deal with those areas, then he will be fine.
A power running game has lots of benefits that Beebe's strengths play to. I would much rather have a road grader than a finesse player

gtb1943

Reaction score
TB was All American/All Conf/Rimington Trophy/Pro Bowl.

His NFL stats are impressive.

He left because we are cap broke.

DQ jumped all over this.

TB has a $30 million contract.

TB haters don’t like it. 8)
Pro Bowl ONCE and only because everyone else was injured or pulled out
The man the trophy was named for was never all that as a Pro
Many All Americans bust in the NFL

So having gotten rid of all that FLUFF

THE REALITY WAS that TB was not all that as a center; at least not in our system and what we want to do

Robster8989

Reaction score
Tap the brakes? Even for some optimism? The film clearly shows Beebe is a much better blocker than Biadasz. Yes, it will take time for Beebe to fully grasp the Center position which he has never played, but the young man is very smart and way more physically capable than Biadiasz was.
These "certain" or "guaranteed" posts always make me chuckle. Whatever you need to sleep at night I guess.
Look, I'm high on Beebe too. I'm hopeful he could be really good, but the fact is, no one knows for sure until he gets out there and digs in.
Showing film of Biadasz struggling at times with NFL DT's (Jonathan Allen, DaRon Payne, Dexter Lawrence, Jordan Phillips, Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis just to name the DTs in our own division), and then showing Beebe pushing around college kids who will never play in the NFL, are 2 different things.
IMO, Biadasz was a lot better than people gave him credit for. He was a top 5 pass blocking center by metrics, and overall an above average NFL center. Now, did the Cowboys make the right move in letting him go? Probably. They replaced a guy who got almost 10 mil a year with a guy who will make 1/10th that. Biadasz at a 4th round pick salary was value, Biadasz at almost 10 mil per year is likely not value, considering he basically is what he is, an average to slightly above average NFL center. So I think the team made the right move, and I'm hopeful that Beebe could become better than Biadasz (I actually think he will due to some of the traits you guys point out).
But to say that it's certain that Beebe is an upgrade over Biadasz on day 1 is foolish. You don't know that no matter how much you want it to be true. No one knows for sure. Beebe will likely have wins and losses, just like Biadasz did, and I agree that Biadasz is what he is at this point, and if you can replace an average starter making 10 mil per with a 3rd round player on an affordable rookie deal you do so. It's the smart move, plus Beebe has a higher ceiling at this point, as I said, Biadasz is what he is at this point.
There must be 10 threads about how our draft picks are better than the guys they are replacing, and to say it's "certain" that Beebe is an upgrade over Biadasz on day 1 is foolish. I remember similar threads about how great Mazi was going to be, huge upgrade over Hankins, yet Hankins continued to start and Mazi rarely played in Year 1.
Let's wait until they play football before making these proclamations.

Status
Not open for further replies.