CFZ Being a “choir boy” isn’t required in the NFL. But you can’t be stupid

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I agree that the NFL punishments don’t always seem consistent. I believe I read somewhere that Kamara got a game less because he admitted guilt and made a plea deal with the authorities. Had he not admitted guilt he would have been given a bigger punishment. Not saying that’s right or wrong.
Hard not to admit guilt when you are on camera doing your dirty deed.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some people dont like these players being “persecuted” for alleged controversial things that they saw others do in the past, but some of us warned about the potential for this kind of thing when the nation started going PC
So illegal possession of a firearm and illegal substances is "PC"? I am a gun owning American citizen that supports the loosening of substance laws, but last I checked, concealing a weapon without the proper licensing and having controlled substances on your person are simply violations of American law and should be prosecuted accordingly, regardless of a person's status as a celebrity.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
According to police, the controlled substance charge is for another substance -- not for possession of marijuana -- and is a felony. The unlawful carrying of a weapon is a Class A misdemeanor.

In California, a Class A misdemeanor can include anything from probation to 346 days in jail. Williams might be charged under California Penal Code 29805 PC. You can look it up, I'm not going to explain it here. My knowledge of New Jersey and Florida law is much greater than California law.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Anyone following the NFL for a long time knows you don’t have to be a sweet little choir boy with perfect manners to be successful in the NFL. But one thing is required: YOU CANNOT BE STUPID.

The second big questionable decision and legal snafu in less than a year made by talented DE Sam Williams raises some questions about not only his character but his commitment to the team, his teammates and his family. Last year he was cited with a misdemeanor for driving his Corvette at a high rate of speed sideswiping another car and eventually wrecking his car. And while he was at Ole Miss in his college days he was suspended from the team for allegedly assaulting a woman, but was reinstated when charges were dropped.

Now, Williams’ Sunday arrest for possession of a controlled substance and unlawful carrying of a weapon is another chapter in this young man’s struggle to keep his off field behavior between the lines. And there’s little room for excuses when the Cowboys organization provides tons of off field support including counseling, ride services if impaired, even legal advice.

There are plenty of examples of great NFL players- some even Cowboys- who had some questionable off field behavior, that were somehow able to stay focused during the season or just be smart enough to pick their spots to avoid missing suspensions during the season.

Sam Williams has big time football talent. He had a really good rookie year with 4.5 sacks last year as a part time player. He was expected to have an even bigger role this year. And maybe he still can, although I would be surprised if he isn’t suspended a couple of games.

I believe in being patient with young players. You can usually fix some on-field mistakes that many young players make. But off the field? You can’t fix stupid. Williams better get serious about growing up if he wants his NFL career to be what it could be. I hope he does.
Cowboys need to release immediately, don't give an inch with this dude. Need to send a message that any player arrested won't be a Cowboy for long.........

shabazz

Reaction score
So illegal possession of a firearm and illegal substances is "PC"? I am a gun owning American citizen that supports the loosening of substance laws, but last I checked, concealing a weapon without the proper licensing and having controlled substances on your person are simply violations of American law and should be prosecuted accordingly, regardless of a person's status as a celebrity.
Some celebrity’s have federal prosecutors that delay cases so the statute of limitations runs out…….and that concerned heroin and firearm application……but yes PC overreaction has effected nearly every facet of life

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree that the NFL punishments don’t always seem consistent. I believe I read somewhere that Kamara got a game less because he admitted guilt and made a plea deal with the authorities. Had he not admitted guilt he would have been given a bigger punishment. Not saying that’s right or wrong.
But admitting plays into the decision on punishment and a big part why Zeke was hit so hard.

It’s all about public perception . Williams isn’t a high profile player although he’s on a high profile team and an owner who probably still leads the league in problem players .

The fact this is his second arrest and these aren’t serious incidents I’d expect at least 2 games and up to 4. And with the THC he’ll probably be placed on regular mandated drug testing .

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Proper Licensing??? you do know this "Dude," is driving around in Texas, yes? No licensing required baby. Go down pick out your piece, strap it on and go for a ride.
“ unlawful carrying of a weapon” could mean he was carrying inside a bar which weapons aren’t allowed . There is several places they aren’t allowed . Basically anywhere with hard alcohol sales and Govt buildings .

plasticman

Reaction score

2-4 weeks?? lol..... and Kamara got 3 games for beating the hell out of someone.

I'm, not saying that is going to be the punishment and I'm not saying that I want it to be the punishment. However, I do think it will be more than what we collectively think.

rags747

Reaction score
Anyone following the NFL for a long time knows you don’t have to be a sweet little choir boy with perfect manners to be successful in the NFL. But one thing is required: YOU CANNOT BE STUPID.

The second big questionable decision and legal snafu in less than a year made by talented DE Sam Williams raises some questions about not only his character but his commitment to the team, his teammates and his family. Last year he was cited with a misdemeanor for driving his Corvette at a high rate of speed sideswiping another car and eventually wrecking his car. And while he was at Ole Miss in his college days he was suspended from the team for allegedly assaulting a woman, but was reinstated when charges were dropped.

Now, Williams’ Sunday arrest for possession of a controlled substance and unlawful carrying of a weapon is another chapter in this young man’s struggle to keep his off field behavior between the lines. And there’s little room for excuses when the Cowboys organization provides tons of off field support including counseling, ride services if impaired, even legal advice.

There are plenty of examples of great NFL players- some even Cowboys- who had some questionable off field behavior, that were somehow able to stay focused during the season or just be smart enough to pick their spots to avoid missing suspensions during the season.

Sam Williams has big time football talent. He had a really good rookie year with 4.5 sacks last year as a part time player. He was expected to have an even bigger role this year. And maybe he still can, although I would be surprised if he isn’t suspended a couple of games.

I believe in being patient with young players. You can usually fix some on-field mistakes that many young players make. But off the field? You can’t fix stupid. Williams better get serious about growing up if he wants his NFL career to be what it could be. I hope he does.
As I’m sure u are aware I disagree with 99% of your posts, you are dam lucky that this board does not have thumbs down options! That being said I do agree 100% with what you say here. I believe that Sam was good for at least 10 sacks this year, to me he looked like a real force on the edge vs Seattle. Time will obviously tell…

Reaction score

Well put.... hopefully, it's not too late for Sam.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

its their own stupidity thinking they have green light to do what ever. stupid is what stupid does.
NFL life is short, maximize it. and its all about the second contract. then you have a life time to smoke it up and do whatever you want...

Sam Williams is an idiot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
According to police, the controlled substance charge is for another substance -- not for possession of marijuana -- and is a felony. The unlawful carrying of a weapon is a Class A misdemeanor.

In California, a Class A misdemeanor can include anything from probation to 346 days in jail. Williams might be charged under California Penal Code 29805 PC. You can look it up, I'm not going to explain it here. My knowledge of New Jersey and Florida law is much greater than California law.
Raping someone in California is now a misdemeanor. LOL

speedkilz88

Reaction score

The team is back in the Dallas area.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Does this sentiment pertain only to athletes?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Everyone is stupid...it's the ones that recognize how to use it for their good.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh they can be stupid they have proved this to be true far too often. They shouldn't be this moronic but we see them act way too foolish too often every year

manster4ever

Reaction score
Not certain what additional support can be afforded to Sam Williams or other players. Perhaps Jerry Jones should provide him the level of one-on-one assistance he made available for Adam Jones years ago.

Williams is a special talent. I hope he does not waste his opportunity.
OP is right....guy isn't too bright. Meh, can't fix stupid

manster4ever

Reaction score
Cowboys need to release immediately, don't give an inch with this dude. Need to send a message that any player arrested won't be a Cowboy for long.........
Ain't gonna happen....Grandpa Jerrah already said it won't affect his playing status. (unless the NFL suspends him which they probably will)