Bell on Zimmer scheme for Cowboys' D: 'We love it'

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Of course Bell loves it. No longer asked to be a 200 lb linebacker in the NFL! ;)

GORICO

Reaction score
Preseason
all preseason is to see if some of the underlings can play and if some of our adjustments are working.....dont forget Dak led all QB's in TD's 36 and INT 9....i put the great seasons of 12-5 and poor post season square on coaching.....plus Green Bay coming into their own and should have beaten SF in post season....but i so much more like Zimmer and holding gap integrity over flashy plays

GORICO

Reaction score
I actually have to give it to Quinn. He went all in on a penetration defense. I had not seen anything like it. Every down was potential chaos for the offensive backfield.

I do think there was a disconnect with the scouting department. Guys like Urban Golston and Mazi did not fit a 1 gap scheme. He had played a hybrid front at Atlanta.

Quinn's scheme was pretty one dimensional last year. They mixed up the formation but whoever was coming from wherever was coming full bore.

Seems Zimmer is presenting a much more diverse front that could leverage players like Mazi, Golston, and Clark better. Might be able to control a game better.

We shall see.
Fuzzy----what you think of Jordan Phillips signing?...we have a real 1-tech rotation now?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I’m not doubting you at all. I’d just like some examples of why some of you are saying that. Gap integrity, simplicity, what is it that makes Zim better?

Last time we were number 1 on D Zim was the guy. I’d like to see that level of D again.
He's going to disguise coverages, which Quinn never really did.

DQ's system was heavily talent dependent. Zim, theoretically, will be able to win plays with scheme. That difference should make them a lot more consistent, especially against good offenses.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
We had one of the top defenses with DQ.
There was no resemblance of a top defense in our playoff game vs Green Bay. Where the heck did that regular season defense go when the lights shined the brightest?

Love had receivers running wide open 30 yards down the field and Aaron Jones ran at will.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
There was no resemblance of a top defense in our playoff game vs Green Bay. Where the heck did that regular season defense go when the lights shined the brightest?

Love had receivers running wide open 30 yards down the field and Aaron Jones ran at will.
It was the same defense they had all year. They were atrocious against competent passing offenses, they just didn't play many.

San Fran, Seattle, Buffalo...

Reid1boys

Reaction score
why do so many of you put stock into spoken words in training camp? Last year they all loved Dan Quinn. Every year we get to here Dak say he is feeling better then ever before, hes in the best shape of his life, he feels like he knows th eoffense better now then ever...... blah, blah, blah....... NONE of it matters, and none of it puts check marks in the win column.
Its just fodder for podcasts to waste time on and people in here to discuss.