Bell on Zimmer scheme for Cowboys' D: 'We love it'

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Honestly I think Zimmer is going to open a lot of eyes to just how poorly coached this defense was the last few years.

Dallas has some transcendent talents (and had a ton of luck on the turnover side of things the last few years) that really masked a lot of Quinn’s deficiencies.
I’m not doubting you at all. I’d just like some examples of why some of you are saying that. Gap integrity, simplicity, what is it that makes Zim better?

Last time we were number 1 on D Zim was the guy. I’d like to see that level of D again.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Quinn did take us from one of the worst D’s to one of the better D’s in the league.

CWR

Reaction score
Quinn's defense always seemed feast or famine chaotic to me. Zimmers looks to be assignment oriented and everyone filling their gap and running to the ball. More discipline. Hope it works better. Im not gonna get excited by the turnovers from the rams because their QB was trash but it would be nice if that isn't a total sacrifice of the new philosophy. Maybe we'll get enough to do what needs to be done.
I'm sure we'll take a hit there. Pressures create bad decisions and so on. That said we still have ball hawks, and I think we'll be good at generating turnovers.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
The defense under Quinn was fine but I think that Zimmer will be able to create a more consistently good unit than they ever were under Quinn.

All of this remains to be seen though. Perhaps I'll be wishing Quinn was still here by week 5 this year, but so far I've liked what I see.
i liked quinn over all, was tired of marinelli, rob ryan and the disaster of nolan
Wasnt perfect but was overall good. But i am excited for zimmer, i liked our defenses under him waaaay back

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m not doubting you at all. I’d just like some examples of why some of you are saying that. Gap integrity, simplicity, what is it that makes Zim better?

Last time we were number 1 on D Zim was the guy. I’d like to see that level of D again.
Zim is known for his emphasis on gap integrity and stopping the run and gap integrity. His base defense is typically a 4-3, but in the modern NFL you honestly aren't running must base and we probably will play a lot more in a 4-2-5 nickel package. Under Quinn we played a lot of amorphous nickel which really resembled a bunch of guys just running around trying to make a big play up front. I also think it did out linebackers no favors in protecting them from blocks.

One of the biggest problems we had Quinn was the total emphasis on getting up the field for splash plays and sacks at the expense of gap integrity which left some pretty big running lanes open at times as defensive linemen literally ran themselves out of plays.

I also think that Zimmer's double A-gap blitz scheme and multiple disguised blitz looks will be absolutely devastating to opposing offenses since teams will not as easily be able to completely scheme Micah out of the game anymore. I think that Micah will absolutely feast on the blitz looks that Zim is going to give him.

None of it is a given that it will workout with this personnel grouping, but I think the pieces fit well. Of course we will not know until the games start being played, but I think you will see a much more discipled group that gives up a lot less chunk plays, especially in the run game.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score

I believe Zim disguises his defenses much better, you never know if and where the blitz is coming from.

He does not run the same thing over and over again.

GORICO

Reaction score
Adding LB's and moving Bell back to S was a no brainer. It's just preseason, but it's already paying off.

Bell on Zimmer scheme for Cowboys' D: 'We love it'
Aug 11, 2024
Patrik Walker
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

vjhk8a531lrjra35x8bi.jpg

LOS ANGELES — One year ago, Markquese Bell was being converted to linebacker by Dan Quinn for a Dallas Cowboys' defense that was in desperate need of depth at the position in the wake of then rookie DeMarvion Overshown suffering a torn ACL. Now moved back to safety by Mike Zimmer, Bell is playing like his hair is on fire and the nearest extinguisher is empty.

In the preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams, Bell not only delivered a game-high nine combined tackles, but also an interception on Stetson Bennett while narrowly missing another two takeaways in the air.

It seems he's primed for what could be a breakout season in 2024.

"I just gotta give credit to my teammates because they made my job a lot easier," he said following the matchup against the Rams. "Being out there with elite athletes and great teammates, it allows me to fly around like I like to do."

"That's all we preach," said Bell. "We're a defense that gets the ball. If we don't take the ball away, we feel like we didn't reach our goal. Our goal [today] was three, and we got past our goal. "All of us."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/bell-on-zimmer-scheme-for-cowboys-d-we-love-it
big dog----total agreement....i am just upset what ever game is being played not signing Dak....i can tell you i have watched Dak closely since 2016....and his footwork has dramatically improved and a few years back he had problems moving weight from back to front foot in throwing motion...but he has corrected that....he has much better touch...
and he is one tough cookie....but playing games signing makes a player feel you dont really want him.....now we will have to pay top dollar to keep him.....Lance is not the nextr Brock Purdy...or Love of Green Bay...i just dont like it when teams play hard ball with real good players....2nd in MVP and 3 consecutive 12-5...Dak is not someone we could replace...now dont4 mess with CeeDee or Parsons or Dak...they hold out cause...why not ?...cowboys are just going to play hardball....it really messes with lockerroom also....betting on Trey Lance to replace Dak would be most horrible mistake....i had to take 6 months totally off from any cowboy stuff....was just very upset....that is my problem i know....but we got the personnel to compete on high level and yes win a super bowl...if we get a "culture of clutch"....like we often had with Tony Romo and back 90's and 70's....we can do it....but our managment must make it clear we esteem our players and not play below the belt hard ball.....i could be all wrong but that is how it appears to me and i am open for any correction....if it is real

GORICO

Reaction score
Zim is known for his emphasis on gap integrity and stopping the run and gap integrity. His base defense is typically a 4-3, but in the modern NFL you honestly aren't running must base and we probably will play a lot more in a 4-2-5 nickel package. Under Quinn we played a lot of amorphous nickel which really resembled a bunch of guys just running around trying to make a big play up front. I also think it did out linebackers no favors in protecting them from blocks.

One of the biggest problems we had Quinn was the total emphasis on getting up the field for splash plays and sacks at the expense of gap integrity which left some pretty big running lanes open at times as defensive linemen literally ran themselves out of plays.

I also think that Zimmer's double A-gap blitz scheme and multiple disguised blitz looks will be absolutely devastating to opposing offenses since teams will not as easily be able to completely scheme Micah out of the game anymore. I think that Micah will absolutely feast on the blitz looks that Zim is going to give him.

None of it is a given that it will workout with this personnel grouping, but I think the pieces fit well. Of course we will not know until the games start being played, but I think you will see a much more discipled group that gives up a lot less chunk plays, especially in the run game.
yes another total agreement

Chasing6

Reaction score
big dog----total agreement....i am just upset what ever game is being played not signing Dak....i can tell you i have watched Dak closely since 2016....and his footwork has dramatically improved and a few years back he had problems moving weight from back to front foot in throwing motion...but he has corrected that....he has much better touch...
and he is one tough cookie....but playing games signing makes a player feel you dont really want him.....now we will have to pay top dollar to keep him.....Lance is not the nextr Brock Purdy...or Love of Green Bay...i just dont like it when teams play hard ball with real good players....2nd in MVP and 3 consecutive 12-5...Dak is not someone we could replace...now dont4 mess with CeeDee or Parsons or Dak...they hold out cause...why not ?...cowboys are just going to play hardball....it really messes with lockerroom also....betting on Trey Lance to replace Dak would be most horrible mistake....i had to take 6 months totally off from any cowboy stuff....was just very upset....that is my problem i know....but we got the personnel to compete on high level and yes win a super bowl...if we get a "culture of clutch"....like we often had with Tony Romo and back 90's and 70's....we can do it....but our managment must make it clear we esteem our players and not play below the belt hard ball.....i could be all wrong but that is how it appears to me and i am open for any correction....if it is real
Still need to make a trade for a DT.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Oh please we're going to die by the blitz, we blitz but the QB gets the ball off OL picks it up and boom CB's exposed!!
with zimmer we will get killed by the passing game. he cant handle new offenses.

Mikexike

Reaction score
The vanilla D looked good, Looks like they knew their roles for the most part.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Bell was all over the field making plays for sure.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lol you guys are shameless
I actually have to give it to Quinn. He went all in on a penetration defense. I had not seen anything like it. Every down was potential chaos for the offensive backfield.

I do think there was a disconnect with the scouting department. Guys like Urban Golston and Mazi did not fit a 1 gap scheme. He had played a hybrid front at Atlanta.

Quinn's scheme was pretty one dimensional last year. They mixed up the formation but whoever was coming from wherever was coming full bore.

Seems Zimmer is presenting a much more diverse front that could leverage players like Mazi, Golston, and Clark better. Might be able to control a game better.

We shall see.