"Bend but Don’t Break" is DOA in Dallas. A New Era Begins

waving monkey

Reaction score
Has Dallas done enough in the past two years to set in motion the kind of juggernaut that chugs all the way to the world championship?

To accurately assess that and avoid blue koolaid fluff, I would like to examine the inconvenient numbers that have hung around and defined this team’s defensive performance and it’s attitude these past few years. Next, I will look at the newly arrived players from the past two years and see if they offer the remedy this team needs to become a championship-caliber fighter.

That last word, fighter, was chosen for good reason. FIGHT is a concept that Jason Garrett has been working hard to pound home to his troops. I don’t think the old secondary really ever got it. They were good guys, but I don’t think they had the mentality and the physical skills to fully embody FIGHT on every throw on every down.

Here are the numbers that back up this assertion:

link/http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...don-t-break-is-doa-in-dallas-a-new-era-begins

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Estatic with the youth. Bye glass boy Claiborne....good riddance never on Sunday, Church.....Carr..... you're a good man but football isn't your game.....Wilcox....you tried bro, but you're a JAG.

Enough is enough....I'm done with mediocre. Done with almost. Done with the hope that Dallas could polish a turd.

Jed's out of the way, the Cowboys are filling holes intelligently and this could be a new realistic hope for the future.

An approach like we had in the 90's with accountability and a culture of thirst for the game.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Has Dallas done enough in the past two years to set in motion the kind of juggernaut that chugs all the way to the world championship?

To accurately assess that and avoid blue koolaid fluff, I would like to examine the inconvenient numbers that have hung around and defined this team’s defensive performance and it’s attitude these past few years. Next, I will look at the newly arrived players from the past two years and see if they offer the remedy this team needs to become a championship-caliber fighter.

That last word, fighter, was chosen for good reason. FIGHT is a concept that Jason Garrett has been working hard to pound home to his troops. I don’t think the old secondary really ever got it. They were good guys, but I don’t think they had the mentality and the physical skills to fully embody FIGHT on every throw on every down.

link/http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...don-t-break-is-doa-in-dallas-a-new-era-begins
Good post by the way.

kevm3

Reaction score
I'll have to see these guys on the field before I come to a conclusion.

sweetness0986

Reaction score
I am definitely done with "bend don't break". I don't want these new guys to even think about bending.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think people get the completely wrong impression about bend but don't break. It means not giving up the big play and it works.

There isn't a proven player on the defense outside of Sean Lee, but people are already ready to crown this defense the Ravens. We still don't have a single proven pressure player on the defensive line. We don't have a single pro bowler in the secondary...

Take two chill pills.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A new era better begin. Those that still rue the departure of Mo, Carr and so on check this out:

2016 Numbers to Hate

· Completion percentage allowed: 31st: 67.1%. i.e., the second-highest % of completions allowed to the opposition by any secondary in the NFL.

· Interceptions total: 9. Tied with New Orleans for the third-worst INT total.

· 24th in opposing QBs passer rating: 94.1

· 17th in passing TDs allowed.

A New Approach

Chidobe Awuzie, Jordan Lewis and Xavier Woods have the aggressive mentality Dallas needs to change over their secondary culture. And they have the coverage skills to back it up. Landing this collection of defenders was a huge win for Dallas.

There’s a reason that Jeff Heath has been praised so much this offseason. He makes plays and he will knock you into tomorrow.

A New Front Seven, A New Hope

Taco Charlton joins Jaylon Smith and Charles Tapper as new members of the Cowboys front seven who will be making their debut this year. Together, they bring a jolt of explosiveness, speed and aggressive play-making ability.

:bow: Now we're talking!!!

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
i can't wait for the day I get on here and see a new thread "what's the strength of this team, Offense or Defense?"

i can't wait for the day I get on here and see a new thread "who do you think the next team will be to match us for 8 Super Bowl wins?"

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think people get the completely wrong impression about bend but don't break. It means not giving up the big play and it works.

There isn't a proven player on the defense outside of Sean Lee, but people are already ready to crown this defense the Ravens. We still don't have a single proven pressure player on the defensive line. We don't have a single pro bowler in the secondary...

Take two chill pills.

This week is still one for a willing suspension of disbelief. We can be more realistic on another day.

MileyDancer

Reaction score

Take two chill pills.
Not only that, in sure Marinelli will continue to send 3 and not blitz at all, so we still won't be getting much pressure on the QB. Definitely not as much as some here think.

gmoney112

Reaction score
A new era better begin. Those that still rue the departure of Mo, Carr and so on check this out:

2016 Numbers to Hate

· Completion percentage allowed: 31st: 67.1%. i.e., the second-highest % of completions allowed to the opposition by any secondary in the NFL.

· Interceptions total: 9. Tied with New Orleans for the third-worst INT total.

· 24th in opposing QBs passer rating: 94.1

· 17th in passing TDs allowed.

A New Approach

Chidobe Awuzie, Jordan Lewis and Xavier Woods have the aggressive mentality Dallas needs to change over their secondary culture. And they have the coverage skills to back it up. Landing this collection of defenders was a huge win for Dallas.

There’s a reason that Jeff Heath has been praised so much this offseason. He makes plays and he will knock you into tomorrow.

A New Front Seven, A New Hope

Taco Charlton joins Jaylon Smith and Charles Tapper as new members of the Cowboys front seven who will be making their debut this year. Together, they bring a jolt of explosiveness, speed and aggressive play-making ability.

:bow: Now we're talking!!!

Yeah, our offense made our secondary look a lot better than it was. It was bad. Terrible. Luckily, the coaches were able to defend RZ scoring % a bit.

NE was 10 points better than us in Passer Rating allowed at 84.3 Better than 85.7 would have been top 10 in the NFL.

League average was about 88.8. Less than 5.5 points than we need there to be "league average".

I wouldn't be surprised if we had more than 9 INT's in 8 games this year. As long as we aren't borderline worst in the league in completion %, our passer rating allowed will proportionally improve as well.

If Dak can continue to play well, and Zeke continues to destroy people, even league average passer rating allowed with an increase in TO's is going to win a lot of games from pure passing rating differential and RZ efficiency (as well as the DSR metric which i like).

If we can get top 10, which is about an 8.5 point improvement, or be a little outside the top 10 while being top 5 in TO's forced, we'll be legitimate SB contenders (assuming Offense remains stable).

Doable.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

I guess watching Aaron Rogers kicking their azz in the playoffs every year kinda made an impression.

About time, I hate the entire "bend but don't break" philosophy.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I think I feel encouraged would be the main impression. I have witnessed big strides in this team since the hand clapper has taken charge.
As I said these last two drafts are making tremendous advances in winning.
I know the well voices complaints but we didn't get our ***** kicked so much as Green Bay simply was a better team.
I think that is changing now. Great drafts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They won 3 Super Bowls in the nineties with a bend but don't break defense.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I'm not certain every team in this era of the passing game isn't bend, don't break.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Radio, in my opinion you can go ahead and check off "Ballhawk for the secondary" on your sig list.
Because of Woods? I've been going back and forth just to decide if I want to consider him a ballhawk

Dwight

Reaction score
The new editions to the secondary look promising.

However the front four must generate a solid pass rush in order for this team to beat QBs such as Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady in the playoffs.