"Bend but Don’t Break" is DOA in Dallas. A New Era Begins

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Still going to take 2 or 3 more seasons. It's way too optimistic to believe there will be a dramatic improvement this season. Which is fine because when we hit our stride, I see more than 1 ring in our future.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Estatic with the youth. Bye glass boy Claiborne....good riddance never on Sunday, Church.....Carr..... you're a good man but football isn't your game.....Wilcox....you tried bro, but you're a JAG.

Enough is enough....I'm done with mediocre. Done with almost. Done with the hope that Dallas could polish a turd.

Jed's out of the way, the Cowboys are filling holes intelligently and this could be a new realistic hope for the future.

An approach like we had in the 90's with accountability and a culture of thirst for the game.
Thank you will mcclay and Stephen

Eddie

Reaction score
I think people get the completely wrong impression about bend but don't break. It means not giving up the big play and it works.

There isn't a proven player on the defense outside of Sean Lee, but people are already ready to crown this defense the Ravens. We still don't have a single proven pressure player on the defensive line. We don't have a single pro bowler in the secondary...

Take two chill pills.

Tru dat. But this is the Cowboys board where either the entire team is all-stars or all-duds. No concept of reality. The rook's haven't played a down yet, and we're ready to anoint them.

Let's wait and see. But I guess this is why internet forums were made.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I love Irving but Ill hold off on the hype until he shows up every week and plays every quarter.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Has Dallas done enough in the past two years to set in motion the kind of juggernaut that chugs all the way to the world championship?

To accurately assess that and avoid blue koolaid fluff, I would like to examine the inconvenient numbers that have hung around and defined this team’s defensive performance and it’s attitude these past few years. Next, I will look at the newly arrived players from the past two years and see if they offer the remedy this team needs to become a championship-caliber fighter.

That last word, fighter, was chosen for good reason. FIGHT is a concept that Jason Garrett has been working hard to pound home to his troops. I don’t think the old secondary really ever got it. They were good guys, but I don’t think they had the mentality and the physical skills to fully embody FIGHT on every throw on every down.

Here are the numbers that back up this assertion:

link/http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...don-t-break-is-doa-in-dallas-a-new-era-begins

The ONLY guys that have shown anything to be excited about over the last two years on defense that are young and that we can get excited about are Collins and Thomas. And I might throw Irvin in there. But none have proven anything close to being a future pro bowler. Now there are plenty to look forward to seeing, but they are either rookies or injured players from last year. Ill wait till I see them play until I declare them anything other than hopefulls.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Not just because of him, but I'd say between him, Cheeto and Lewis, we will hit on one of them.
Awuzie isn't known for his INTs and Lewis will be fighting to get significant playing time. He'll be in on dime but will be fight to get in on other packages.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I think people get the completely wrong impression about bend but don't break. It means not giving up the big play and it works.

There isn't a proven player on the defense outside of Sean Lee, but people are already ready to crown this defense the Ravens. We still don't have a single proven pressure player on the defensive line. We don't have a single pro bowler in the secondary...

Take two chill pills.

Exactly. The talent appears to be improved but most of it is young and unproven. Some are going to be in for a rude awakening if they are expecting a defensive juggernaut out of the gate. Over half of our defensive starters could be rookies/2nd year players. Talent may be better than what we had but it may take some time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Take two chill pills.

True but teams who are thin in terms of talent will play bend but don't break for the very reason you mentioned to avoid giving up big plays. Dallas did that early on when Jimmy was here, we did not have the players to be aggressive but with added talent and the acquiring Charles Haley that changed and Dallas defense no longer played bend but don't break they became very aggressive in their style. Hopefully with more talent being added the Cowboys defense can switch gears and become an attacking defense.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
True but teams who are thin in terms of talent will play bend but don't break for the very reason you mentioned to avoid giving up big plays. Dallas did that early on when Jimmy was here, we did not have the players to be aggressive but with added talent and the acquiring Charles Haley that changed and Dallas defense no longer played bend but don't break they became very aggressive in their style. Hopefully with more talent being added the Cowboys defense can switch gears and become an attacking defense.

I don't ever recall the Cowboys being a blitz heavy team in the 90s. I think you may be confusing Charles Haley being a dominant pressure player and thus making their defensive line more productive with them changing schematically to become more aggressive. Good teams don't have to blitz they get to the QB with 4.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Take two chill pills.
They same people say the same stuff EVERY off season. It's wishful thinking more than anything but they try to persuade us all its a lock.....

haleyrules

Reaction score
The ONLY guys that have shown anything to be excited about over the last two years on defense that are young and that we can get excited about are Collins and Thomas. And I might throw Irvin in there. But none have proven anything close to being a future pro bowler. Now there are plenty to look forward to seeing, but they are either rookies or injured players from last year. Ill wait till I see them play until I declare them anything other than hopefulls.
I like Irving...he has something worthwhile....Jones has some hope...unproven.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't ever recall the Cowboys being a blitz heavy team in the 90s. I think you may be confusing Charles Haley being a dominant pressure player and thus making their defensive line more productive with them changing schematically to become more aggressive. Good teams don't have to blitz they get to the QB with 4.

I did not say we blitzed a lot but when Dallas did they were very effective. The secondary played more aggressive but then you can do that when you know the QB will not be just sitting back there for 5 or 6 seconds, they knew the QB would have to get rid of it quickly