Audio: Bengals look to feast on Cowboys defense

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
PODCAST
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/10/...cast-bengals-look-to-feast-on-cowboys-defense

The Bengals’ utter domination of the Miami Dolphins seems to be a turning point in the season. The defense finally had some bite to it thanks to the physical (and perhaps psychological) boost from Vontaze Burfict. Andy Dalton and the offense were in attack mode, and even the special teams unit had their best game.

But when Cincinnati (2-2) faces another team that brings interesting competition in the Cowboys on Sunday, they’ll need to continue on a successful path. They will get the chance to get back to over .500 on Sunday when they go up against the Dallas Cowboys (3-1) in Arlington, Texas, just a short drive from where Dalton played at TCU. If things go as planned, the quarterback should put on quite a show in his return to Texas, and A.J. Green seem to be playing with a new sense of purpose. The team will also have had nine days of rest since their last game. Furthermore, their opponent has struggled against the pass, despite facing rather weak competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
"Furthermore, their opponent has struggled against the pass, despite facing rather weak competition."

Not really. We have struggled with the pass rush. Our secondary has been good without Scandrick the last few games, and he is expected to be back. As for weak competition, Giants have argueably the best ttrio of wr's.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I thought the "utter domination" line was made in jest at first. Wasn't the final score something like 22-7, where Miami had ample opportunity in the fourth quarter?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
PODCAST
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/10/...cast-bengals-look-to-feast-on-cowboys-defense

The Bengals’ utter domination of the Miami Dolphins seems to be a turning point in the season. The defense finally had some bite to it thanks to the physical (and perhaps psychological) boost from Vontaze Burfict. Andy Dalton and the offense were in attack mode, and even the special teams unit had their best game.

But when Cincinnati (2-2) faces another team that brings interesting competition in the Cowboys on Sunday, they’ll need to continue on a successful path. They will get the chance to get back to over .500 on Sunday when they go up against the Dallas Cowboys (3-1) in Arlington, Texas, just a short drive from where Dalton played at TCU. If things go as planned, the quarterback should put on quite a show in his return to Texas, and A.J. Green seem to be playing with a new sense of purpose. The team will also have had nine days of rest since their last game. Furthermore, their opponent has struggled against the pass, despite facing rather weak competition.
Its a game of matchups as always.

Our OL vs. their DL.

Our CBs vs. their WRs

Our Lbers and safeties vs their rushing attack.

Our RBs vs. the stacked LOS

Our WRs vs. double coverage on Witten/Beasley

Our Cheerleaders vs. theirs

Our coach vs. theirs

Our owner vs. theirs

Our FG kicker vs..theirs

Its going to be close, folks, as you can see.

plasticman

Reaction score
Lol, yeah, Bengals dominating offense is averaging less than 20 points a game. Watch out!

Of course, the Cowboys are winning with two rookies that are just going to get better as the season progresses and they are wiining without two Pro Bowl starters that may be coming back.

If any offense is going to dominate its going to be the guys with the star in their helmet.

Guaranteed their defense hasnt seen anything like they are going to see on Sunday.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Bengals will be coming off nine days of rest. Maybe that'll help their cause but sometimes, teams get a bit rusty and experience slow starts. Dallas' defense has been improving lately and Dak has proven extremely difficult, if not impossible to unnerve. This game should prove to be extremely competitive, despite Cincy's somewhat exalted defense.

Their passing game should cause problems for us, while our offense will make it difficult for their offense to enjoy enough time to score sufficiently to beat us. There's a reason why we lead the league in first downs and do so well in time of possession. It'll be a close one but here's to Dallas playing their best game yet at home. Bottoms up!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bottom line, the offense has to have a good game. No stalling, no three and outs, no field goal fests (especially given the injured kicker), no turnovers,,, when the boys defense gets a stop or turnover it has to be capitalized upon. Unless DLaws return provides some kind of tipping point that makes them good, this defense will not hold up to prolonged exposure to a playoff quality offense.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The Bengals will be coming off nine days of rest. Maybe that'll help their cause but sometimes, teams get a bit rusty and experience slow starts. Dallas' defense has been improving lately and Dak has proven extremely difficult, if not impossible to unnerve. This game should prove to be extremely competitive, despite Cincy's somewhat exalted defense.

Their passing game should cause problems for us, while our offense will make it difficult for their offense to enjoy enough time to score sufficiently to beat us. There's a reason why we lead the league in first downs and do so well in time of possession. It'll be a close one but here's to Dallas playing their best game yet at home. Bottoms up!

Good points, Mr. Flop.

Being that it maybe close..

It could come down to FGs.

Which means they need to be shorter than normal becuz of Bayle's. back.

45+ maybe out of the question for him.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Lol, yeah, Bengals dominating offense is averaging less than 20 points a game. Watch out!

Of course, the Cowboys are winning with two rookies that are just going to get better as the season progresses and they are wiining without two Pro Bowl starters that may be coming back.

If any offense is going to dominate its going to be the guys with the star in their helmet.

Guaranteed their defense hasnt seen anything like they are going to see on Sunday.

We beat three pattycake teams and became a superbowl contender. Bengals have the best D we've played all season by far - they will give our o:line problems especially if we are down a starter or two. I don't count losing Collins for Leary as losing a starter.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just a FYI...... Dallas is in the bottom third of the league in opposing QB ratings. Opposing QBs have over a 93 rating when facing the Cowboys.

And Football Outsiders has their pass D ranked 24th.

robjay04

Reaction score
Just a FYI...... Dallas is in the bottom third of the league in opposing QB ratings. Opposing QBs have over a 93 rating when facing the Cowboys.

And Football Outsiders has their pass D ranked 24th.

I don't think the group is perfect and they haven't been tested much but I don't believe we have been bottom third in the league based on watching the games. I feel our defense played good last week, especially the second half. They were good against the Bears but I bet they gave up a lot of yards. The secondary was solid against the Skins, not great against he Giants.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think the group is perfect and they haven't been tested much but I don't believe we have been bottom third in the league based on watching the games. I feel our defense played good last week, especially the second half. They were good against the Bears but I bet they gave up a lot of yards. The secondary was solid against the Skins, not great against he Giants.

Not sure I trust the eye test at this point though. Stats are stats and if you look at a variety of them, it paints a picture that this is a mediocre to below average pass D at this point. We'll get a pretty good idea of what we have starting this weekend IMO.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
PODCAST

Utters?? Hmmm.... :muttley:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the defense gets a boost this game with Lawrence returning and while I think Cinn is a good team and presents a challenge I also know Cinn is not some high powered scoring machine. I think if the Cowboys can keep Cinn at around their avg scoring per game (20 points a game) then we should have a chance to win this game.