Bengals Work Out Rod Smith

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the other guy wouldn't just backup Elliot, he'd play. We have a lot more offensive snaps than Elliot can carry himself. Getting another quality back helps us leverage all the investment in our oline and keeps Elliot fresh for when we really need him. Also could let us let Elliot walk. We're a running offense. We should have more than one credible running back.

I don't deny that it's a need. What I take issue with is potentially using a 2nd or 3rd rounder - your top two draft assets this year - on a backup player that wouldn't see the field more than 30% of the time at best. That would be dumb.

Felix was a phenomenon who we crushed the football out of and tossed on the ash heap. The problem wasn't picking him, the problem was how we wasted him.

Oh brother...
:facepalm:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People that want to use more than one great RB make me sick.

Pay them no mind.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

Between this and Stephen Jones' comments, I think you can kiss him goodbye.

We need to improve on what he offered.

That said, I am not a fan of spending a top 100 choice to do it, like Jones appears to be suggesting.

We need a shifty compliment to Zeke. Not a North South runner. Good luck Jaylon's brother.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh brother...
:facepalm:

I agree with the Felix Jones comments.

He was an absolute animal when he got here and then Garrett didn't know how use him stuff started happening and then they couldn't figure out how to incorporate 2 RB's at 1 time. Garrett has always just given a guy a series instead of rotating because he has no feel for the game.

Then they made Felix put on like 20 lbs so he could carry a bigger workload.

The Cowboys ruined Felix Jones. He was a home run hitting back when he got here and left as a 2 yard and a cloud of dust guy.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We need a back up RB that can play ST well. He is only going to get about 7 or so carries a game. Should have kept Bo. But we always have the people’s champ Jackson.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should be RB3 not RB2. I agree he should gather more touches, but he is not a runner in the purest sense of the word.

I think the same is true of Rod Smith. I would love him as a #3, but not #2. They needed another guy no matter whether they kept Smith or Olawale.

lkelly

Reaction score
I agree with the Felix Jones comments.

He was an absolute animal when he got here and then Garrett didn't know how use him stuff started happening and then they couldn't figure out how to incorporate 2 RB's at 1 time. Garrett has always just given a guy a series instead of rotating because he has no feel for the game.

Then they made Felix put on like 20 lbs so he could carry a bigger workload.

The Cowboys ruined Felix Jones. He was a home run hitting back when he got here and left as a 2 yard and a cloud of dust guy.

So it was the Cowboys' poor strategic planning that caused him to fail his conditioning test?

If only they hadn't told him to stop running and get out of shape in order to help the team. Lesson learned.

Prime21

Reaction score
Rod Smith is the epitome of JAG. Easily replaceable with FA, late round draft picks, or even rookie UDFA.