Bennie Logan

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Dallas does in fact buck the norm an go after a top tier FA, I am hoping it nets us Logan.

The Cowboys had a good amount of interest in Logan in the 2013 draft and may have been our 3rd round pick if the Eagles didnt draft him.

Logan is a bit of a unicorn at the 1T in that he adept at both occupying blockers and penetrating gaps. He fits the mold of both what Marinelli wants from a DT as well as the type of player that works in any system. You arent going to get sack numbers from him, but he gets a good amount of pressure.

His sack totals may keep him from getting an exuberant amount in FA, but I think he could be had for just south of what we gave Crawford. He signed for 1 year deal at 8 million last year

Sydla

Reaction score
Ha, we'll just rock Price and Collins next year for peanuts.

I do like the idea, though

Sadly............ you'll probably be right.

There are a few 1 Techs that would make sense in FA. But with Marinelli likely back, we'll probably hit the bargain bin yet again for some 300 lb stiff and maybe draft a guy in the 6th round.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I like Logan as a 1 tech. I think he wants more than 8 million though, that is why he signed a 1 year deal last season. I expect the Cowboys to stand pat at the 1 tech with Maliek Collins as the starter with Brian Price & Datone Jones in the mix.

Sydla

Reaction score
I like Logan as a 1 tech. I think he wants more than 8 million though, that is why he signed a 1 year deal last season. I expect the Cowboys to stand pat at the 1 tech with Maliek Collins as the starter with Brian Price & Datone Jones in the mix.

Collins is out of position at the 1 Tech. If this coaching staff leaves him as the starter there............ geez

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Collins is out of position at the 1 Tech. If this coaching staff leaves him as the starter there............ geez
Collins played better at the 1 tech than at the 3. He's the starter now. David Irving is the 3 tech. I could see drafting another 3 tech.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Logan or Poe but that probably means losing Irving after next year

Sydla

Reaction score
Collins played better at the 1 tech than at the 3. He's the starter now. David Irving is the 3 tech. I could see drafting another 3 tech.

He did not play better at the 1 tech. He was a better 3 Tech where he can use his quickness.

It would be typical of this franchise to band aid the crap out of the 1 Tech, yet again. They only reason Collins was even playing there was because of whiffs on Paea and Thornton.

Sydla

Reaction score
Logan or Poe but that probably means losing Irving after next year

Not necessarily. Poe and Logan only signed one year deals last year. Possible that there might not be a big market for them again.

If you got them on a one year deal and then drafted a 1 Tech in the middle rounds, you could then possibly have a situation where you could then let one walk in 2019 and keep Irving.

John813

Reaction score
Bennie will be 29 at the end of next season. Not sure how the market looks for 1-techs close to 30 $ wise. Maybe a multi-year deal where most guarantees are paid the first two years where the team can cut him loose if he drops in play in a few years?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He did not play better at the 1 tech. He was a better 3 Tech where he can use his quickness.

It would be typical of this franchise to band aid the crap out of the 1 Tech, yet again. They only reason Collins was even playing there was because of whiffs on Paea and Thornton.
He was better at 1.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If Dallas does in fact buck the norm an go after a top tier FA, I am hoping it nets us Logan.

The Cowboys had a good amount of interest in Logan in the 2013 draft and may have been our 3rd round pick if the Eagles didnt draft him.

Logan is a bit of a unicorn at the 1T in that he adept at both occupying blockers and penetrating gaps. He fits the mold of both what Marinelli wants from a DT as well as the type of player that works in any system. You arent going to get sack numbers from him, but he gets a good amount of pressure.

His sack totals may keep him from getting an exuberant amount in FA, but I think he could be had for just south of what we gave Crawford. He signed for 1 year deal at 8 million last year
Rather have Taven Bryan in RD1

Sydla

Reaction score
Rather have Taven Bryan in RD1

I'd rather have Logan and then use my first rounder for another position.

Bryan isn't even a 1 Tech most likely. He's a 3 Tech that maybe can slide outside and play some SDE in certain situations.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'd rather have Logan and then use my first rounder for another position.

Bryan isn't even a 1 Tech most likely. He's a 3 Tech that maybe can slide outside and play some SDE in certain situations.
first off Bryan can play any pos on the DL as he does that at florida. Guy is probably the strongest guy in college.
second good luck trying to sign logan under 6mil a yr. As he just played on a 1 yr fully guaranteed 8mil deal.
Third hes a 3-4 guy. We seen with guys like cedric thornton theyre not really suited to play in this def because they lack the twitch to get off the snap and shield the Lbers.

Sydla

Reaction score
first off Bryan can play any pos on the DL as he does that at florida. Guy is probably the strongest guy in college.
second good luck trying to sign logan under 6mil a yr. As he just played on a 1 yr fully guaranteed 8mil deal.
Third hes a 3-4 guy. We seen with guys like cedric thornton theyre not really suited to play in this def because they lack the twitch to get off the snap and shield the Lbers.

First, comparing Logan to Thornton is a joke. Thornton was a 3-4 DE trying to play the 1 Tech here. Logan is a NT which isn't far off from being a 1 Tech here. Thornton's issue was he just couldn't hold up at the point of attack. Logan could and would.

Certainly, if Logan gets some big deal, you pass. But absolutely they should look at Logan, Poe even a Kyle Williams if you can get any for a short, good deal.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
First, comparing Logan to Thornton is a joke. Thornton was a 3-4 DE trying to play the 1 Tech here. Logan is a NT which isn't far off from being a 1 Tech here. Thornton's issue was he just couldn't hold up at the point of attack. Logan could and would.

Certainly, if Logan gets some big deal, you pass. But absolutely they should look at Logan, Poe even a Kyle Williams if you can get any for a short, good deal.
all of those guys will get more than what this team wants to pay for techs. Who are basically on the field very little for this team. Dallas isnt going to pay more than 2-3mil a yr for a guy who is going to get rotated and taken out in passing situations. Dallas has 3 primary DTs that eat up the snaps. Thats David irving, Maliek Collins and Tyrone Crawford. Add in a guy like Datone Jones who played really good playing the 1tech vs Philly. I think thats the guy they end up signing.

Edit: actually he's already signed for 2018.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
all of those guys will get more than what this team wants to pay for techs. Who are basically on the field very little for this team. Dallas isnt going to pay more than 2-3mil a yr for a guy who is going to get rotated and taken out in passing situations. Dallas has 3 primary DTs that eat up the snaps. Thats David irving, Maliek Collins and Tyrone Crawford. Add in a guy like Datone Jones who played really good playing the 1tech vs Philly. I think thats the guy they end up signing.

Edit: actually he's already signed for 2018.
Thorton or Poe would play about 60% of the snaps.

With 2 DTs the scale is 200%.
1tech 60%
3 tech 60%
3 tech-2 60%
1tech-2 20%

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Thorton or Poe would play about 60% of the snaps.

With 2 DTs the scale is 200%.
1tech 60%
3 tech 60%
3 tech-2 60%
1tech-2 20%

Youre numbers are high if you ask me. Maybe they would be that high with the caliber of player. But Dallas isnt going to spend that type of money on a 1tech. No matter how much fans cry about it, thats just not going to happen. If they would spend that much, they would just draft a 1tech in round 1 and still pay him less than it would be to sign them in FA.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Youre numbers are high if you ask me. Maybe they would be that high with the caliber of player. But Dallas isnt going to spend that type of money on a 1tech. No matter how much fans cry about it, thats just not going to happen. If they would spend that much, they would just draft a 1tech in round 1 and still pay him less than it would be to sign them in FA.
1techs make way less than many other positions like WR, OT, DE, CB, 3tech.

It's a better deal to get one in free agency than to draft one.

Use the 1st round on more expensive positions.