Best All Time Epic/Drama TV Series

quickccc

Reaction score
Loved North and South books one and two; three was a downer

Thornbirds never interested me but it got huge ratings

Ditto here.
I tried watching The Thornbirds both in my teens era as well as recent years ... but I was also one that just could not get into it.

And I tried Thornbirds based off how much I just adored Richard Chamberlain's " Shogun " miniseries .... but despite Thorn birds capturing several awards, I just could never get into it.
Like some series, maybe Thornbirds just is not meant for everyone.

e5933970ce2cd0e7aeae252a26c92584.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think syndication will simply evolve for streaming services.

The next logical revenue progression for streaming services will be to generate revenue by licensing out packages of their own shows to competing networks because after enough time has passed, their own subscribers will have already seen them on their network and the draw for new subscribers will typically be with new shows rather than older ones.

I think Disney will do this soon given their decrease in subscriber numbers as they license out a lot of their in-house movies and shows to Netflix, Peacock, etc.

The main difference with syndication in streaming though is that unlike the old pre-streaming days where it was important to reach episode counts like 50, 100, etc. episodes, the focus will be more on quantity of shows rather than quantity of episodes.
It pretty much has evolved. I've noticed on many of the newer FAST channels, Roku, Freevee, etc, there are series-centric channels like the "Cold Case" Channel, "Star Trek: Next Generation" Channel etc. There are also a number of niche channels, like Comet for sci-fi, ION Mystery etc that show a block or a day of of reruns from a TV show. I stumbled on AMC Stories Channel a couple weeks back and they have been showing the complete "Orphan Black", loved that show, all month. I caught the first episode and ended up watching several in a row.

It's kinda like the old cable days, flip thru the channels and find some cool reruns when you don't know what you want to watch. These shows get packaged and sold for these free FAST channels and some get their own channel or in some cases like "The Walking Dead", "Star Trek", "Stargate" Universes get their own channel, the original and spinoff series share own channel.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I stumbled on AMC Stories Channel a couple weeks back and they have been showing the complete "Orphan Black", loved that show, all month. I caught the first episode and ended up watching several in a row.
The series that made me a Tatiana Maslany fan. :bow:

quickccc

Reaction score
It pretty much has evolved. I've noticed on many of the newer FAST channels, Roku, Freevee, etc, there are series-centric channels like the "Cold Case" Channel, "Star Trek: Next Generation" Channel etc. There are also a number of niche channels, like Comet for sci-fi, ION Mystery etc that show a block or a day of of reruns from a TV show. I stumbled on AMC Stories Channel a couple weeks back and they have been showing the complete "Orphan Black", loved that show, all month. I caught the first episode and ended up watching several in a row.

It's kinda like the old cable days, flip thru the channels and find some cool reruns when you don't know what you want to watch. These shows get packaged and sold for these free FAST channels and some get their own channel or in some cases like "The Walking Dead", "Star Trek", "Stargate" Universes get their own channel, the original and spinoff series share own channel.
Thanks for Sharing ...

Several interesting points, @Roadtrip635 .

What/Who got the FAST (Free Ads Streaming Television) frenzy mania started ?

Was Tubi TV the first of the FAST streaming channels to get it started ?
I have Tubi TV, and i did not see of recognize any other FAST channels until there was Tubi TV.
A brilliant idea by the way with Tubi TV, ....to lure and recruit viewing audiences who have to be frustrated with Netflix rising prices,
and advertise their movies/TV show streaming as Free .. ...so long as you do not mind the interrupting sponsoring commercial ads...

And Yep .. it worked masterfully !
And now we see others like YouTube, ..Roku, FreeVee, .Pluto TV.... Peacock ( limited to an extent)
Even IMDB has gotten into the free streaming act. They may have an even bigger library of movies/TV shows than even Tubi.
But I don't fool with them because their apps have been so difficult to uninstall from my devices.

I even admit that I watch far more Tubi TV than I do than Netflix or Disney.
The only thing I still wonder is if Netflix still remains King and leader in current moderate day time line when it comes to creating it's own original content
ala series ?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The series that made me a Tatiana Maslany fan. :bow:
Me too, she was so good on that show, she made me forget she was actually playing all those individual characters. I had seen the whole series, but it had been awhile, so it was kinda cool. If you get bored, find the AMC Stories channel, it's still showing all the episodes, don't know for how long, but careful or you'll get sucked in I like did and binge a bunch or a few days....lol

ShortRound

Reaction score
Hmmm in order, Sopranos is listed at the top, because it paved the wave for some of the others on my list.

The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Seinfeld
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
Law and Order

gtb1943

Reaction score
Hmmm in order, Sopranos is listed at the top, because it paved the wave for some of the others on my list.

The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Seinfeld
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
Law and Order
Never watched it but heard Seinfeld was a comedy series. Learn something new every day.

catiii

Reaction score
Just about any of the CBS hits (NCIS, Magnum, Blue Bloods, Seal Team, etc) AND some awesome New Zealand crime dramas including Brokenwood Mysteries and My Life is Murder (Lucy Lawless stars xena fans!)

catiii

Reaction score
"I was an avid watcher of "Combat"."
Ditto
It was an interesting show for the time
Poor Sgt Saunders...he got shot in the arm, almost every show
Must have had a musette bag filled with Purple Hearts

Alot of the episodes were tragic....it was an intriguing decision....seeing how the viewing demographic was probably WW2 vets..
M*A*S*H obviously went in a different direction
WOW I WTCHED THAT ALL THE TIME AS A KID AND NOW I FEEL SO OLD!! :)

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
St Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues and Law and Order we're the first "must watch" procedural dramas TV shows I recall.

As far as mini-series, it is hard to beat Roots, Winds of War and Shogun

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
St Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues and Law and Order we're the first "must watch" procedural dramas TV shows I recall.

As far as mini-series, it is hard to beat Roots, Winds of War and Shogun
The first two were the pioneers of the ensemble cast and took a while to get connected. Viewers were used to knowing the star of the show and this was something new and different.

St. Elsewhere gave Denzel Washington and David Morse their leg up in the biz.

My favorite for mini-series was Lonesome Dove.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The first two were the pioneers of the ensemble cast and took a while to get connected. Viewers were used to knowing the star of the show and this was something new and different.

St. Elsewhere gave Denzel Washington and David Morse their leg up in the biz.

My favorite for mini-series was Lonesome Dove.
Lonesome Dove is considered the greatest Western Mini series though I liked Centennial better.