Best All Time Western movies

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
My favs:

Gotta mention Lonesome Dove. I know, it's a mini-series. Love it as it has realistic western values portrayed in fairly realistic ways. Realism in charisteristcs of The West has to be in the movie for me to really dig it! Also a couple of my favorite actors.

On that note, the gunfight in Open Range depicts how I imagine a gunfight would go with non-modern ammo and not the best marksmanship. A lot of shooting and not a lot of one shot kills. Realism IMO. Didn't like the fawning over the dog ... not realism in the mid to late 1800's.

I like the way Dances with Wolves show the Indians as human.

The Shootist makes John Wayne a very real character ... his best role.

Josie Wales ... just an awesome movie.

In order most favorites from top down:

Lonesome Dove
Josie Wales (1st time director, out of necessity)
Unforgiven
Open Range
Dances with Wolves
The Shootist

more in no particular order

The Cowboys, Winchester 73, True Grit (I liked them both equally but for different reasons), Pale Rider.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting you should mention Pale Rider because Eastwood was accused of ripping off Shane and his response was it was a tribute to one of the best films of all time. He wasn't trying to fool anyone, he considered Shane the template for westerns and Lee Van Cleef mentioned he channeled Jack Palance in Shane for his portrayal of Angel Eyes in the GB&U.

There's just something good about a bad guy feeling his best when he's at his worst.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Interesting you should mention Pale Rider because Eastwood was accused of ripping off Shane and his response was it was a tribute to one of the best films of all time. He wasn't trying to fool anyone, he considered Shane the template for westerns and Lee Van Cleef mentioned he channeled Jack Palance in Shane for his portrayal of Angel Eyes in the GB&U.

There's just something good about a bad guy feeling his best when he's at his worst.

IS Clint Eastwood a bad guy? Please enlighten me CC.

quickccc

Reaction score
See it and your list will change...

and i finally did the entire full Once upon a Time in the West ...and you're right .. it was great !

Funny thing is once it got to the 2nd half of the movie, i started to recall some of the final ending parts. the brothers, the hanging and harmonica in the mouth
scene, and the gun in the boot in the window, ..but i was a kid then (watching it with the family grown ups) at that time as a kid, not that fond of westerns as when i became grown adult (besides man without Name trilogy and Shane) and that Once upon Time in the West movie was pretty long so i never recalled the entire movie at that time.

Good thing Netflix was showing it until the May 20th deadline. so i was finally able to see all of it.
Its the " Harmonica " movie is what i like to refer it to. ....LOL

director Sergio Leone was just a totally awesome dude !!! ... he rocked !

- and now i see where Bruce Lee's way of the Dragon in the final Chuck Norris fight scene , " borrowed" some of those infamous music scores from.

:thumbup:

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Anything with Lee Van Cleef. This one in particular:

61bNNpG4TfL.jpg

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
If we are playing fast and loose with the definition of Western, and Kill Bill part 2 qualifies, then I'd put it near the top for me.