Best & Worst/Dumbest & Smartest

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
COWBOYS Worst Signing: Ryan Leaf

COWBOYS Best Signing: Deion Sanders

COWBOYS Dumbest Move:
Releasing Jimmy Smith. We all know Smith went on to become one of the NFL's best wide receivers and would have been the Perfect complement to Michael Irvin.

COWBOYS Smartest Move: The Herschel Walker trade.

So what do You guys say?

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Dumbest moves- Cutting QC ( I know I know) just because it ruined any chance we had at the playoffs before we even started last year.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider Leaf the worst signing because he didn't cost the team anything and we desperately needed a QB...so why not take the chance on Leaf?

Now, Marcellus Wiley on the other hand...

I don't know if I'd consider Deion the best signing only because I think he took up so much cap space that it cost some important players.

That said, he indeed was a good signing because he helped us to another Super Bowl victory.

From a performance standpoint alone, I'd have to say Glover was the best signing.

Jimmy Smith. I'd make him the worst move IF Philadelphia hadn't released him also. He was with the Eagles for a short period after the Cowboys and they let him go too.

My money goes to the Joey Galloway trade...or worse still, Jerry letting Jimmy walk...

We agree on the Walker deal. :)

gbrittain

Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
COWBOYS Worst Signing: Ryan Leaf

COWBOYS Best Signing: Deion Sanders

COWBOYS Dumbest Move:
Releasing Jimmy Smith. We all know Smith went on to become one of the NFL's best wide receivers and would have been the Perfect complement to Michael Irvin.

COWBOYS Smartest Move: The Herschel Walker trade.

So what do You guys say?

Worst Signing: Vinny Testaverde

Best Signing: LaRoi Glover

Dumbest Move: Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, Dave Campo

Smartest Move: Passing on Steven Jackson, Taking JJ in the second and adding a first round pick in 2005

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Best Signing: Keyshawn Johnson - This move came a couple of years too late but we have an elite possession receiver to stick along speedsters in Terry Glenn and Quincy Morgan.

Worst Signing: Ryan Leaf - Enough said. Dallas just couldn't rejuvenate his career.

Dumbest Move: Trading for #20 this year: Though that trade yielded Julius Jones, Marcus Spears, and Sean Ryan; we could have had our pick of Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones, or Chris Perry. Even Chris Snee and Karlos Dansby would have been good picks.

Smartest Move: Bringing in Deion Sanders for the defense. In his prime (no pun intended), he was a force to be reckoned with alongside Kevin Smith and Darren Woodson. Not to mention a special teams guru. He had too many uses to not be successful with Jimmy Johnson.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Best Signing...La'Roi Glover. The guy has been nothing but great for us since he got here. He hasn't cost all that much either.

Worst signing...Marcellus Wiley. Thank goodness he didn't cost too much.

Smartest move...Acquiring Charles Haley for such a reasonable price when he was the final piece of the puzzle.

Dumbest move...two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway. I don't pay that much unless it is for a QB in the top 10.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
KD, I dont know about you, but Marcus Spears and Julius(our future) appear to be big upgrades over Stephen Jackson,kevin jones, and chris perry.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
COWBOYS Worst Signing: A lot of free agents didn't pan out but the big deals given to over the hill guys was probably the worst gambles. Aikman getting the reward for his hard work was prolly the worst. We knew he had concussion issues and that the team around him was in a shambles. Aikman deserved the money but it should have come in the form of after playing days contracts.

COWBOYS Best Signing: Jay Novacek in plan B free agency.

COWBOYS Dumbest Move: Drafting Shante Carver.

COWBOYS Smartest Move: Hiring Jimmy.

Eddie

Reaction score
Ryan Leaf didn't cost the team anything. He was just another in a line of losers to play for us in 2001. Nothing special, nothing lost.

Worst Signing: Joey Galloway - cost us 2 first rounders

Best Signing: Charles Haley.

Dumbest Move: handing over 2 first round draft picks for Joey Galloway.

Best Move: the mega trade with Minny for Hershel Walker.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Best Signing...La'Roi Glover. The guy has been nothing but great for us since he got here. He hasn't cost all that much either.

Smartest move...Acquiring Charles Haley for such a reasonable price when he was the final piece of the puzzle.

Dumbest move...two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway. I don't pay that much unless it is for a QB in the top 10.

agreed, 110%

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Hey, we're slipping. We agree on three of four... :D

I think the Walker deal was not only the team's smartest move but maybe the smartest move in the history of NFL trades.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Worst signing: Tie, Wiley and George.

Best signing: Novacek.

Worst move: Not drafting a QB from 96-2000 to groom behind Aikman.

Best move: The Walker trade.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Muhast said:
KD, I dont know about you, but Marcus Spears and Julius(our future) appear to be big upgrades over Stephen Jackson,kevin jones, and chris perry.

It's the uncertainty principle. Marcus Spears is an unknown at this point. Julius Jones had some pretty big stints of brilliance last season but so did Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones. I don't think Chris Perry had the same kind of season they did.

Purely based on statistics, Kevin Jones was the 1,000 yard back that Dallas needed. Julius Jones had a very good shot at it but he got hurt.

It's really just the uncertainty principle for Spears. He could be the best thing or the worst thing for us right now. It's just hard to say but time will tell.

blindzebra

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
It's the uncertainty principle. Marcus Spears is an unknown at this point. Julius Jones had some pretty big stints of brilliance last season but so did Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones. I don't think Chris Perry had the same kind of season they did.

Purely based on statistics, Kevin Jones was the 1,000 yard back that Dallas needed. Julius Jones had a very good shot at it but he got hurt.

It's really just the uncertainty principle for Spears. He could be the best thing or the worst thing for us right now. It's just hard to say but time will tell.

Is Spears worth 300 yards difference in rushing?

Ryan got singled out as being really improved in Parcells mini-camp PC.

This trade was GREAT.:rolleyes:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Hey, we're slipping. We agree on three of four... :D

I think the Walker deal was not only the team's smartest move but maybe the smartest move in the history of NFL trades.
You could be right. I think when we made the Walker deal we were a long ways away from contention, when we made the Haley deal he was the final piece. Both were steals as was Beuerlein.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Is Spears worth 300 yards difference in rushing?

Ryan got singled out as being really improved in Parcells mini-camp PC.

This trade was GREAT.:rolleyes:

You can't ask if Spears was worth 300 yards of rushing because he has yet to yield results. But if you were asking for speculation, I'd probably say that he is.

We could have nabbed Julius Jones anyway at #52 assuming that the draft turned out exactly as it did if we didn't take him at #43 as a result of that trade.

So, again I say that the uncertainty principle is in play right now. Ask me again a year from now and I'll tell you if this trade was worth it. Scoring Julius is 33% of the deal. One out of three players isn't bad but a total success would be if all three players stepped up and became forces.

blindzebra

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
You can't ask if Spears was worth 300 yards of rushing because he has yet to yield results. But if you were asking for speculation, I'd probably say that he is.

We could have nabbed Julius Jones anyway at #52 assuming that the draft turned out exactly as it did if we didn't take him at #43 as a result of that trade.

So, again I say that the uncertainty principle is in play right now. Ask me again a year from now and I'll tell you if this trade was worth it. Scoring Julius is 33% of the deal. One out of three players isn't bad but a total success would be if all three players stepped up and became forces.

Spears was working with the first team in both the 3-4 and 4-3 he will be starting from game #1.

Jones, Jones and Jackson had very little seperating them numbers-wise and it could be argued that both K.J and Jackson...no doubt with SJ...had better supporting casts to make running it easier.

This trade right now without seeing Spears was worth it. If Spears becomes just a Ellis-level player for us, this move will be one of the best in team history.

JeffG

Reaction score
Worst move: Does anybody remember the name Rod Hill?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JeffG said:
Worst move: Does anybody remember the name Rod Hill?
That wasn't a signing, that was a draft pick. CB out of Kentucky State in 1982.