big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
COWBOYS Worst Signing: Meion Sanders
COWBOYS Best Signing: Tom Landry
COWBOYS Dumbest Move: Allowing Jimmy Johnson to leave
COWBOYS Smartest Move: The Herschel Walker trade.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
Dumbest Move: Trading for #20 this year: Though that trade yielded Julius Jones, Marcus Spears, and Sean Ryan; we could have had our pick of Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones, or Chris Perry. Even Chris Snee and Karlos Dansby would have been good picks.

You've got to be kidding. Every NFL person you could talk to would tell you that it worked out perfectly for Dallas.

Almost anyone in the league will tell you that at worst, Julius is the equal of Kevin Jones, Steven Jackson or Chris Perry. In addition to getting the running back we needed, we also got a good blocking TE project in Ryan and Marcus Spears.

Spears is widely considered to be a perfect fit for what Parcells is trying to do on defense and is already running first team. At worst, he's going to be a solid, block eating DL who allows others to make plays. He's super talented and moves like a 250 pound guy in a 295 pound body.

Some would argue that getting Jones instead of KJ, Jackson or Perry makes the move worth it, without even factoring in the other players we got.

To label this move as a worse move than Wiley, Goodrich, Larrimore, Carter, Leaf, firing Jimmy Johnson, and all the other horrible moves that could be listed is either insane, or just done to grab attention.

KDWilliams85 said:
Smartest Move: Bringing in Deion Sanders for the defense. In his prime (no pun intended), he was a force to be reckoned with alongside Kevin Smith and Darren Woodson. Not to mention a special teams guru. He had too many uses to not be successful with Jimmy Johnson.

He never played for Jimmy Johnson.

cowboysfan84

Reaction score
COWBOYS Worst Signing: Quentin Coryatt
COWBOYS Best Signing: Charles Haley
COWBOYS Dumbest Move: 2 #1s for Galloway. Cost the Boys Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboysfan84 said:
COWBOYS Worst Signing: Quentin Coryatt
COWBOYS Best Signing: Charles Haley
COWBOYS Dumbest Move: 2 #1s for Galloway. Cost the Boys Shaun Alexander and Koren Robinson.
Haley was a Cowboy by a trade not a signing.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
cowboysfan84 said:
Did I say Haley? I meant Novacek. :D

No no no...you're not allowed to do that.

I checked in my "How to Be A Good Moderator" book, written by Reality...and it clearly states that once something is posted there is a strict "no backsies" rule.

Sorry.

:D

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
You've got to be kidding. Every NFL person you could talk to would tell you that it worked out perfectly for Dallas.

Almost anyone in the league will tell you that at worst, Julius is the equal of Kevin Jones, Steven Jackson or Chris Perry. In addition to getting the running back we needed, we also got a good blocking TE project in Ryan and Marcus Spears.

Spears is widely considered to be a perfect fit for what Parcells is trying to do on defense and is already running first team. At worst, he's going to be a solid, block eating DL who allows others to make plays. He's super talented and moves like a 250 pound guy in a 295 pound body.

Some would argue that getting Jones instead of KJ, Jackson or Perry makes the move worth it, without even factoring in the other players we got.

To label this move as a worse move than Wiley, Goodrich, Larrimore, Carter, Leaf, firing Jimmy Johnson, and all the other horrible moves that could be listed is either insane, or just done to grab attention.

As it stands on paper, Spears may have made the trade worth it. But that's only on paper. He hasn't been in a game situation yet. He hasn't been in full pads yet. So, it's hard to say if he'll be the player Parcells wants him to be. Speculation would seem to suggest that he is. Everything now doesn't matter despite the consensus it does.

As for Julius being equal to Kevin Jones or Steven Jackson, who knows. They have a year under their belts. Jackson ran behind Faulk more often than not but since Jackson has the starting role, you'll have to see how well he does. Kevin Jones and Julius had more pressure on them. Kevin Jones got his 1,000 yard season while Julius came close. We'll just have to see on them. They're all tremendous talents from what I've seen and they'll all be impressive.

As for any bad moves, Quincy Carter couldn't be labeled a bad move. He did run the offense for the 'Boys and got them to the playoffs. Leaf, Larrimore, Wiley, and any other perceived bad move is labeled as such because of their off the field issues or just bust status.

Spears will make or break last year's draft. Julius Jones is a bright spot but that draft can still be labeled a bust. The jury is still out but by the looks of things, it won't be too bad. It'll all come down to training camp.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
COWBOYS Worst Signing: Meion Sanders
COWBOYS Best Signing: Tom Landry
COWBOYS Dumbest Move: Allowing Jimmy Johnson to leave

Your're joking right? Without Prime Time, we dont win the SB in 1995. :rolleyes:

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
It's the uncertainty principle. Marcus Spears is an unknown at this point. Julius Jones had some pretty big stints of brilliance last season but so did Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones. I don't think Chris Perry had the same kind of season they did.

Purely based on statistics, Kevin Jones was the 1,000 yard back that Dallas needed. Julius Jones had a very good shot at it but he got hurt.

It's really just the uncertainty principle for Spears. He could be the best thing or the worst thing for us right now. It's just hard to say but time will tell.

I think that Perry was hurt most of last year with a hamstring or somethin.. Seems like I dont remember him playing with the Bungals til late in the season.. Then again, I tend to not watch the Bungals that much even if I live in Bungal land :( Anybody got a private jet they wanna send to Dayton, Ohio during the season on sundays? ;)

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Best Signing: 1) Herschel Walker from the USFL - 2) Charles Haley - 3) Joey Galloway (Sure as hell taught us what NOT to do with two #1's ever, lol)

Worst Signing: 1) Marcellus Wiley - 2) Vinny Testeverde -

Smartest Move: 1) Taking the chance on Roger Staubach even though his military committment was hanging overhead - 2) Trading Herschel to the Vikings for all those picks

Dumbest Move: 1> Letting Jimmy get away after back2back super bowls (We could have made history with him here, Jerry should have sold his soul to make that happen- give Jimmy part ownership of the team, whatever) - 2) Oh and the other Jimmy, Jimmy Smith