Best and worst coordinators in Cowboys history

bootyhunta

Reaction score
It's interesting that both of those guys worked for the Bengals at one point or another.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
bootyhunta;2271365 said:
It's interesting that both of those guys worked for the Bengals at one point or another.

who's the Bengals current DC?:laugh2:

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
There was another pretty bad one, can't remember his name, right after Zampiesi and before Coslet.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BAT;2271349 said:
bruce coslet

Hands down the worst.

I remember we had a 4th and 12 (I believe) and we punted away the game because Coslet said he didn't have a play for that situation.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Best-Norv Turner. He's not only a brilliant playcaller, but he's one of the best in terms of finding the matchups.

Worst-Ernie Zampesie. Instead of picking up where Norv Turner's system left off, he slowly, but surely, shot it to the ground. It was no coincidence that our redzone offense went down the toilet in '96 and '97.

As for Bruce Coslett, I'm willing to give him a pass. He was nothing more than a puppet during the pre-Bill years. At least Jerry has learned his lesson from there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Boysboy;2271484 said:
Best-Norv Turner. He's not only a brilliant playcaller, but he's one of the best in terms of finding the matchups.

Worst-Ernie Zampesie. Instead of picking up where Norv Turner's system left off, he slowly, but surely, shot it to the ground. It was no coincidence that our redzone offense went down the toilet in '96 and '97.

As for Bruce Coslett, I'm willing to give him a pass. He was nothing more than a puppet during the pre-Bill years. At least Jerry has learned his lesson from there.

I have never seen a team that struggled to put the ball in the Endzone once we got into the Redzone like the Cowboys did.

Parcells did a lot of things to make sure we could get that ball across the goal line.

Before Bill there were a lot of field goals being kicked.

Boysboy

Reaction score
CATCH17;2271488 said:
I have never seen a team that struggled to put the ball in the Endzone once we got into the Redzone like the Cowboys did.

Parcells did a lot of things to make sure we could get that ball across the goal line.

Before Bill there were a lot of field goals being kicked.

2 games stuck out in my mind in '96 and '97.

1) The Mon Night GB game at TX Stadium in '96-we won 18-6, but ALL of our pts came from FGs. I was happy for Bonio breaking the record, but nonetheless it was a frustrating game to watch our O in.

2) The 2nd Philly game at The Vet in '97-we had it first and goal at the 5...only for that drive to end in a long FG b/c of penalty after penalty after penalty. The Eagles took their last possession and drove it down for the winning score. Very frustrating b/c we could have put the game away with that drive.

Zampisie didn't do any better when he went to New England. Bledsoe started to get exposed under him.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2271465 said:
There was another pretty bad one, can't remember his name, right after Zampiesi and before Coslet.
Jack Reilly

juck

Reaction score
I dont know about worst but Brian Stewart is pretty bad.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
bootyhunta;2271365 said:

Especially since Dave Shula worked for the Bengals after we canned him in 1990 and Coslet worked for us AFTER the Bengals in 2000!:mad:

CoCo

Reaction score
Many of the above had vastly different talent levels with which to work. Even Zampese did not have the same talent that Norv had when he was here.

Do I still prefer Norv & Garrett? Yes! :)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think Shula was by far the worst. Everyone loved to hate Coslet, partly because of his preference for Hutch over Quincy, but he coached offenses that lead the league in offense and he did know what he was doing. Shula was simply clueless and in way over his head.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2271313 said:
When it comes to offensive and defensive coordinators,

who were the best and worst ever in Big D?

Best offensive coordinator- Norv Turner, Jason Garrett

Worst offensive coordinator- Dave Shula, Bruce Coslet

Worst defensive coordinator- Mike Zimmer

Special mention- Tom Landry...he built the flex defense, and I think he called offensive plays for most of his head coaching career.

As an aside, I dont see how anyone can pick Ernie Zampese as the worst offensive coordinator. His 94 and 95 offenses were outstanding, and the 95 team was a steamroller. Novecek's career was over after the 95 season and the offense wasnt the same the next two seasons. It also didnt help that Emmitt was mediocre in 96 and 97, and that we had absolutely nobody other than Irvin that was a threat at WR or TE. How soon people forget.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Best offense - Norv Turner
Best defense - Tom Landry (I know he was the head coach but he acted as the DC also.)

Worst offense - Bruce Coslet
Worst defense - Close call because they were all pretty good. I would have to say Zimmer although he wasn't that bad.

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
If you asked me who was the best Defenvsive coordinator, I'd say Wannstedt- he was the architect behind that ridiculous 1992 defense (Remember I mentioned the Seattle game where they held them to 62 TOTAL yards of offense)