Best and worst coordinators in Cowboys history

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Worst offensive coordinator- Dave Shula, Bruce Coslet

Oh how the fallen have risen.....

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
A Great Defensive coordinator that has not been mentioned is Ernie Stautner.....1971-77 he deserves at the very least a Honorable Mention.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2271313 said:
When it comes to offensive and defensive coordinators,

who were the best and worst ever in Big D?

Coslet by far. He didn't have a play to get 1 yard.

Angus

Reaction score
Cbz40;2271442 said:
Coslet gets my vote as well.....He should win hands down.

Now, you're old enough to remember Shula. Maybe you should reconsider.
:D

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Angus;2271728 said:
Now, you're old enough to remember Shula. Maybe you should reconsider.
:D

I must admit Shula was worse than horrible....;) but as far as I am concerned Closet case wasn't any better.:)

Eskimo

Reaction score
Zimmer may be nominated by some as worst DC, but I think that is only because the others have been so good by and large (Landry, Stautner, Wannstedt, Butch Davis and even Campo). I think Zimmer did okay with pretty bad overall defensive talent but he certainly wasn't an upper echelon DC like many of the others.

At OC, Shula was truly a nightmare.

Zampese, nominated by some as the worst, was only poor in comparison to Norv Turner.

Some have nominated Reilly - was he the guy who served as Chan Gailey's OC or was he the guy running the show for Campos' first two years as HC?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Does anyone remember Paul Hackett? Whom Landry pulled from the Niners in '86?

Hackett took over a squad that was getting old in the tooth, but overall, I thought he was a very good OC wherever he went(i.e. Chiefs, Jets, etc).

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Boysboy;2271774 said:
Does anyone remember Paul Hackett? Whom Landry pulled from the Niners in '86?

Hackett took over a squad that was getting old in the tooth, but overall, I thought he was a very good OC wherever he went(i.e. Chiefs, Jets, etc).

Yeah, Tex pretty much forced him on Landry when he thought Tom was getting older and needed help. Pretty sad, really.

I actually thought he was pretty terrible with us. Later he got respect as a pretty good OC -- or at least got jobs for years -- so he must have improved.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2271786 said:
Yeah, Tex pretty much forced him on Landry when he thought Tom was getting older and needed help. Pretty sad, really.

I actually thought he was pretty terrible with us. Later he got respect as a pretty good OC -- or at least got jobs for years -- so he must have improved.

I remember being excited that year going in, Hackett's hiring being one of them(especially coming from Walsh's hugely successful system).

We started out 6-2, then that loss at The Meadowlands(where both White and Hogeboom went down for the year) started our freefall.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Coslet was terrible, but he really didn't have much talent to work with. Dave Shula had incredible talent and was still horrible. I've never seen an offensive turn around like the Cowboys had when Norv Turner replaced Dave Shula.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Eskimo;2271769 said:
Some have nominated Reilly - was he the guy who served as Chan Gailey's OC or was he the guy running the show for Campos' first two years as HC?

Reilly was hired by Campo in 2000 to bring back the timing based Turner/Zampese system.

While he ended up doing poorly, alot of that could be attributed to the Aikman and Galloway injuries in week one. Most people forget that in preseason that yr our offense looked fantastic.

Boysboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2271952 said:
Reilly was hired by Campo in 2000 to bring back the timing based Turner/Zampese system.

While he ended up doing poorly, alot of that could be attributed to the Aikman and Galloway injuries in week one. Most people forget that in preseason that yr our offense looked fantastic.

The Eagles nonetheless smacked us in the mouth in our opener, from the opening kickoff, that is.

Who knows how our season would have turned out if Aikman and Galloway had stayed healthy, but our poor OL play was nonetheless our downfall, as was evidenced in that Philly game.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Coslet was terrible but he had one GREAT play... that sneaky throwback where the tight end dives down and reemerges all alone. We scored like three touchdowns using that baby. Anyone remember that? Darnay Scott lol

Rudy

Reaction score
While I am a Parcells lover, he had to be one of the most boring, miserable offensive play callers. 3rd & 8 - how many times did we see a draw?? Him and Mo' Carthon gave us some games of an offense with little to no confidence.

Apefist

Reaction score
I was thinking Hackett (with Coslet and Shula), too, but couldn't remember his name.

Best def coordinator, even though it was Johnson/Wannstedt's system, Dave W. only had a #1 defense part of a season. Butch Davis had one for a season, but Dave Campo had two seasons coaching the #1 defense. He wasn't much of a head coach, but a fine coordinator.

Maurice Carthon wasn't much of an offensive coordinator.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Apefist;2272019 said:
I was thinking Hackett (with Coslet and Shula), too, but couldn't remember his name.

Best def coordinator, even though it was Johnson/Wannstedt's system, Dave W. only had a #1 defense part of a season. Butch Davis had one for a season, but Dave Campo had two seasons coaching the #1 defense. He wasn't much of a head coach, but a fine coordinator.

Maurice Carthon wasn't much of an offensive coordinator.

I wasn't impressed with Sean Payton either(surprised how noone has mentioned him yet). Parcells' purpose of bringing him here seemed to be b/c Payton, being a long time NFCE assistant, knew the schemes, inside and out, of Philly/NYG/Washington. Otherwise, was never impressed with his playbook, and he also got stripped of his playcalling duties by Jim Fassell in his last year there.