Best draft in years

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
No matter how I look at it, this weekend's draft was a good one.
No draft can address every need, but a lot of needs were filled or the attempt was made to fill them.

Spencer will be spectacular along with Ware and Carp.

Martens will be great given some time to develop.

This calls for a celebratory song:

"The Best Day Ever"
Sung by SpongeBob SquarePants

Mr. Sun came up and smiled at me
Said: ‘It's gonna be a good one, just wait and see'
Jumped out of bed and I ran outside
I feel extra, ecstatic-fied!

It's The Best Day Ever!
(Best Day Ever!)
It's The Best Day Ever!
(Best Day Ever!)

I'm so busy, got nothing to do
Spent the last two hours just tying my shoe
Every flower, every grain of sand
Is reaching out to shake my hand

It's The Best Day Ever!
(Best Day Ever!)
It's The Best Day Ever!
(Best Day Ever!)

Sometimes the little things start closing in on me
When I'm feeling down
I wanna lose that frown
I stick my head out the window
And I look around!

Those clouds don't scare me, they can't disguise
This magic that's happening right before my eyes
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright
So the Best Day Ever can last all night

Now It's The Best Day Ever!
(Best Day Ever!)

Gee, Patrick, I feel better already!
1631.jpg

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Although I appreciate a good sponge bob song:laugh2: , I think it is a little early to say best draft in years.

I think Spencer will pan out and we have the Browns first next year but everyone drafted after spencer could easily wind up being a bust.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1485641 said:
Although I appreciate a good sponge bob song , I think it is a little early to say best draft in years.

I think Spencer will pan out and we have the Browns first next year but everyone drafted after spencer could easily wind up being a bust.

party%20pooper.bmp

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1485641 said:
Although I appreciate a good sponge bob song:laugh2: , I think it is a little early to say best draft in years.

What made it the best day ever (recently) was also the thrashing that the Skins have received on their draft.

I think Jerra, for once, deserves a lot of credit for his drafting.
I've always liked Jerra for his enthusiasm and willingness to put his money where his mouth is. I just didn't like him meddling in actual football transactions.
But I think, all in all, this draft will yield good stuff for years to come.

Get with it Brain, let's get down and boogie cause it was a GREAT draft.:)

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
When Jerry pulled the deal with the Browns, it showed me that he had learned a thing or two from Jimmy, Bill, and most likely, himself. The guy is a succesful business man, and even though they dont tell you about their bad investments, they make em and learn.

I think he might haev gotten a bit cute with the trades, but I think it was brilliant to essentially trade up with Clevland while netting an extra 2nd rounder. Unless Clevland pulls a miracle run this season, I have a hard time believing they will finnish better than Cincinatti, Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the division.

Even if the rest of the draft turns out so so, which I dnt think will be the case, Jerry will have taken our 22nd pick this year and gotten us Spencer AND a potential top 10 pick next year. That alone has Jerry deserving some serious props.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
You never know for 2-3 years down the road, but I too, think this was a good draft. If they can get Stanback to put his heart into the WR role, then Garrett should be able to put in some inovative ways to make use of this guy's talent as a ball handler and runner; i.e. option pass from LOS and end-around plays.

I'm thinking Deon Anderson may unseat Polite (not Hoyte) as Ireland said today on "Talking Cowboys" both Anderson and Hoyte enjoy knocking the living daylights out of guys in their way. I don't know what happened last year, but Polite lost out to Hoyte, a LBer for pete's sake, so how will he fare against a real FB?

And I want to see what this guy from Cal-Poly can do. He sounds like a shut-down corner at his D-II level, and as an engineering major (Civil) he should have to brains to learn the reads at the next level, so I am willing to take a look-see approach. I hope some of these guys get a chance to start in the preseason games to see how they do against other teams better players, not camp fodder.

As I say every year, this is my favorite time of the year, because there is all the good news and hype about the players and team, and we can dream of what might be, instead of having to face the realities of the actual season...

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Cal Poly is a top school. I think it says alot about the kid. So is Purdue, and Washington, and Boston College. Id say we drafted some smart kids.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1485679 said:
Cal Poly is a top school. I think it says alot about the kid. So is Purdue, and Washington, and Boston College. Id say we drafted some smart kids.
On draft day one of the comentators (Hitzges maybe) said NE will not draft a player that scores low on the Wonderlich. They said what the limit was, but I can't remember it. I agree with this in principle, although football smarts is more important to playing in the NFL than book learning. However, the days of OT Philyaw (OAK in the '80's) and our own LB Eugene Lockhart (DAL '80's) are over. What's the use of being a "hittin' machine" if you don't know whom you should hit?

I like the idea of getting guys that can learn and make reads on the field...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
idk if it was the best draft, but it ranks right up there in terms of value, we didn't reach for any players really

burmafrd

Reaction score
Wow. Charles Philyaw. Mountain of a man with a pea sized brain. He was dumb. BUT he made some plays; not enough of them, though.
Lockhart was nowhere near as dumb.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1485663 said:
When Jerry pulled the deal with the Browns, it showed me that he had learned a thing or two from Jimmy, Bill, and most likely, himself. The guy is a succesful business man, and even though they dont tell you about their bad investments, they make em and learn.

I think he might haev gotten a bit cute with the trades, but I think it was brilliant to essentially trade up with Clevland while netting an extra 2nd rounder. Unless Clevland pulls a miracle run this season, I have a hard time believing they will finnish better than Cincinatti, Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the division.

Even if the rest of the draft turns out so so, which I dnt think will be the case, Jerry will have taken our 22nd pick this year and gotten us Spencer AND a potential top 10 pick next year. That alone has Jerry deserving some serious props.

Thanks

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It was at worst a decent draft. If we get a corner, a FB, and Stanback works out it'll be very good. If you can add in one or both of the OL then its great. That's assuming Spencer starts and our 08 one works out. This draft has some potential. Of course don't they all this time of year?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GimmeTheBall!;1485657 said:
What made it the best day ever (recently) was also the thrashing that the Skins have received on their draft.

Ooooh, now I get it. Because the Skins had a bad draft, that in turn makes ours a good one..........:huh:

dools

Reaction score
CalCBFan;1485705 said:
On draft day one of the comentators (Hitzges maybe) said NE will not draft a player that scores low on the Wonderlich. They said what the limit was, but I can't remember it. I agree with this in principle, although football smarts is more important to playing in the NFL than book learning. However, the days of OT Philyaw (OAK in the '80's) and our own LB Eugene Lockhart (DAL '80's) are over. What's the use of being a "hittin' machine" if you don't know whom you should hit?

I like the idea of getting guys that can learn and make reads on the field...
I think he was just talking about how they draft lineman in general. Im pretty sure Norm said the lowest score was a 26 on the wonderlic.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
I agree with most in this trhead. I beleive that this could be considered a good one a few years from now.

The best thing about this draft was the fact that we didn't have an absolute need to begin with. No "reaches" necessary.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1485663 said:

Good point about Jerry learning from himself.

And I agree, the full appreciation for this draft won't be embraced until this time next year.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Sarge;1485772 said:
Ooooh, now I get it. Because the Skins had a bad draft, that in turn makes ours a good one..........:huh:

what a surly bastid... :eek: