Video: Best linebacking group in the NFL?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I guess that makes you the Nixon of your group...

Honestly, it made me the average guy in our group. I went through in the mid 80's and statistically the Mode was equal to the Sample Size.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Unless the injuries have just taken it all out of him, I expect him to shine in a more limited role. Having those three makes me want to give a few more snaps to the linebackers and take a few from the extra DBs, particularly the safety.

No doubt, I get that running nickel packages is pretty common but depending on the down and team I think they would all benefit from snaps this year. Lee being healthy with limited snaps might still be a lethal player.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
The linebackers and ends are elite. The corners are good. Safeties and tackles concern me a bit. In my opinion, they’re the only positions on the team potentially below league median.
Agree on most of your post.
With that said, while I share your concern about the Safeties (though the group may end up being average or a tick above), I am a bit more optimistic about DT, since IMO, we seem to have two solid squatty DTs with the builds the effectively stuff the run in Woods & Covington. 3T is a concern, but they have poured significant resources there with Collins, and now Hill.
We need a breakout performance from one of those two for defense to enter the "elite" category, IMO.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No doubt, I get that running nickel packages is pretty common but depending on the down and team I think they would all benefit from snaps this year. Lee being healthy with limited snaps might still be a lethal player.

I'm actually thinking more dime than nickel because in the nickel we would have three corners (Jones, Awusie, Lewis/Brown) and two safeties (probably Woods, Heath). In dime, we'd bring in an extra DB (usually a safety so that you don't lose as much on run defense). I don't see anything a dime safety could do that couldn't be accomplished better by our linebackers. Unless we're going with four corners and playing two deep safeties, I'd rather have the linebackers out there. That would also give us the option of bringing a linebacker as the fourth rusher (since you usually play three lineman with the dime), particularly Smith because of his speed and ability to get home.

Now, I'm not sure how often we used the dime.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The key to the corps is Lee, the brains of the outfit. If he can stay healthy, this can be the top LB corps in the game other than the best duo.

The best thing that happened for the LB corps was adding Quinn and Hill and keeping the OL off the LB's. And while Lee has lost a step over time, he hasn't lost what really gives him that edge, he sniffs out a play as good as any LB in the game today or any that we've ever had.

If health holds, this could be a very special front 7 and dictate the play calling of the opposing OC's, instead of the other way around.
This is bs. Lee was hurt when the defense flourished. He’s not the key to anything