Best New Hire Coach of the Offseason?

quickccc

Reaction score
I wanted Dallas to take a step back and tear it down and hire Matt Rhule the way carolina did.

New coach, new assistants and a new group of guys to come up with that coach. This is how it used to be done. I thought it was the perfect year for Dallas to do this. Kansas City and Baltimore are going to be playing for the championship anyway barring injuries. I don't think any NFC team can beat either one in the super bowl. So to me it was the perfect time to take a step back, trade some veterans and rebuild the old school way.

instead we got aldon smith and jerry and stephen will be talking about the super bowl during training camp again.

i wanted just the opposite . i was very leery about hiring a college HC that needed to adjust to tthe NFL
and likely knew only his college offense and wasn't proficient at developing a defense at the college level
which would be that much more a hurdle at
More and more i studied on Urban Meyer, i knew that QB run offense wasn't gonna work in NFL.
Lincoln's style is scheme perfect for college football, but he is the type that can re-adjust and expand once he gets to the NFL. Plus he is a one track pony all offense and no defense.

There was a report that Jay Glazer said that the Jones wanted to exclusively hire a defensive oriented HC - which two names came up - Marvin Lewis ..and Jeff Fisher (uuugh!!) The purpose was to hire a defensive HC that would allow them to keep/return all of the top offensive assistants and position coaches.

and who knows if the names of Ron Rivera or Jack Del Rio would have eventually came up (both den... but that never went down as the Cowboys were so impressed with McCarthy's interview that they held him over
and never interview anymore possible HC's.

A very solid resume ,QB coach, winning record and playoff credentials, SB winner, and they wanted to re-start over with a new HC that could hit the ground running, no adjustment to NFL and HC learning curve to worry about.

To add to McCarthy, he's hired well heralded assistants and coordinators around. As well as kept coaching leftovers Kellen Moore, Mussenheimer, and Nolan/Tomsula kept Leon Lett, and a top notch special teams coach, So there appears to be a very healthy core around MM as well.
So the pieces appear to be very promising on paper.

i could be as happy and optimistic about the McCarthy hiring,.. Here's probably even a bigger question: of the Mccarthy's assistant coaches - which one is and will be the biggest, most important hire ?
Kellen Moore ?.. Mussenheimer ?.. Mike Nolan ?.. OL coach Joe Phillin (sp) ...DL coach Jim Tomsula ?
LB coach George Edwards ? ..DB coach Al harris ? special teams - John fassel ?
:rolleyes:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted Dallas to take a step back and tear it down and hire Matt Rhule the way carolina did.

New coach, new assistants and a new group of guys to come up with that coach. This is how it used to be done. I thought it was the perfect year for Dallas to do this.

What?
There is nothing to tear down in Dallas as there is in Carolina.

We have a talented team, but did not have the coaching. You got what you wanted from your post. as to a new HC, new assistants, and actually a lot of young players to come up with this new coaching staff.
So this is the perfect year to do this the way they have. A QB that has improved, and will improve. Many players have not hit their prime yet.

RoboQB

Reaction score
There's only two that have been NFL head coaches, and the other has also been to the super bowl(with a much worse QB).... so hanging your hat on one SB ring over the others means almost nothing.

I don't wear hats.
Just commenting on a thread.
Not picking fights with anyone.
I'm well versed on the facts at hand.
But hey, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Big_D

Reaction score
I’m actually surprised. I expected a change at HC but I didn’t expect what’s happening right now with McCarthy. It’s a beautiful thing in comparison to the crap Garrett era. I like Rhule and I like what he did in the draft. I would’ve been happy with any coach on that list with the puppet finally gone!! But the current situation is really best case scenario considering how bad Jerry could’ve screwed this decision up. A super bowl winner and he’s listening and stepping aside. I don’t think he’s doing that with a college coach. McCarthy brings a much needed resume and respectability that for Jerry’s sake is the key to this whole thing!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There were 5 new coaches hired this year:
-Matt Rhule
-Kevin Stefanski
-Joe Judge
-Ron Rivera
-Mike McCarthy
Did we get the best one or is there someone you would have rather have. Did Jerry just go for a name hire instead of the best candidate or is the best name also the best candidate. My feelings are that just moving on from Garrett is an upgrade but I also think that McCarthy brings the experience to a team that is ready to take it to the next level. Rhule is interesting but he is gonna have a learning curve as is Judge. What say you?

Who is the guy in NY? Whoever that moron is has to be the worst of them. Any fool that would hire Garrett to run your offense has to be the worst. Garrett will slowly weasel his way into the HC job as he undercuts him.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
ONLY six active coaches have more wins than McCarthy, all of whom have at least one SB win on their resume as well. BOOM!

Ask the Cards after the season. They get to play ALL 5 in 2020. :laugh:

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
mac was a solid hire. lincoln riley seems to be serving us as a scout. we got a couple of good players from oklahoma during the draft. i wonder if he gets a small stipend for his info?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't wear hats.
Just commenting on a thread.
Not picking fights with anyone.
I'm well versed on the facts at hand.
But hey, thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Your comment made it seem like you didn't know any of the facts, or else you wouldn't have made that comment. So I was just informing you.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Your comment made it seem like you didn't know any of the facts, or else you wouldn't have made that comment. So I was just informing you.

Lol. My comment was full of facts and one strong opinion the
Riverboat Ron would fail in Washington.

Somehow saying only one HC won a ring has triggered you.
It seems as though you don't read very well.
Go back and try reading it again and let us know where you
got lost, Quincy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who has the best combination of Owner, Front Office and talent on the Roster? That will be the one who is the best hire.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Lol. My comment was full of facts and one strong opinion the
Riverboat Ron would fail in Washington.

Somehow saying only one HC won a ring has triggered you.
It seems as though you don't read very well.
Go back and try reading it again and let us know where you
got lost, Quincy.

"You'd think that Judge would be the most ready" was also pretty weird. Has about 1/4th the coaching experience years wise as three of the other guys, and has been primarily only special teams. That's not a fact, you should look up the definition of a fact. Lol.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I think Stefanski could turn out to be a solid head coach just not sure he will get a shot in Cleveland. The Bowns owner goes through coaches like a baby goes through diapers. I really think the best HCs didn't get jobs i like some guys on KCs staff and the OC for the Ravens and Dan Campbell from the Saints better than any of the guys who got jobs. I hope Mike becomes first HC with rings from two different teams.

RoboQB

Reaction score
"You'd think that Judge would be the most ready" was also pretty weird. Has about 1/4th the coaching experience years wise as three of the other guys, and has been primarily only special teams. That's not a fact, you should look up the definition of a fact. Lol.

"... but there are more failed coaches from the NE tree than successful ones."
If you're going to criticize a quote, mention the whole quote, Quincy.

He's learned under the guy that's coached in more SB's than anyone.
Judge has been highly touted by many, much like Garrett was early on.
The second half of my quote, the part you failed to mention, squashes
the first half of the quote.

I think Judge will fall flat despite coming from the learning tree of Bill.
Many others pick him as the surprise success story.

John Harbaugh was nothing more than a ST coach when hired by
Baltimore. I'd say he's done well. So, it's not like it can't happen.